What's new

Wireless AP advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RomanHelmet

New Around Here
I am looking for some advice. I am researching the options out there to upgrade my horrific 11g network that I've been running for years. (Buffalo router running dd-wrt)

I am considering getting a Mikrotik Routerboard router that does not have wireless capabilities (due to the depth of features RouterOS offers) and adding AP's to it for my wireless needs.

I'm looking for suggestions on wireless AP's. I'm mainly looking at 11n right now. I don't think I really need AC and don't want to spend the extra money yet, but not totally opposed if the price is right. I have been thinking a lot about getting a Unifi AP or the AP LR. The only thing that might sway me is that they're n300 and only do 2.4ghz. But I do like the management software and its complexity.

Is it worth going n600 or 900? And is there something else out there that would have a similar feature set to the Unifi stuff that isn't going to cost enterprise level prices? Or should I just got with a wrt compatible router?

I'm using an ASUS RT-N12 in AP mode. Works well for bottom floor here. Services handhelds, tablets, RPi. Lots of traffic.
Stable. No need for forced reboots.

Caution on the MikroTik products.. I used them/tossed them, at work.

N600 and N900 dual-band provide benefit over N300 only if you have dual-band clients. N300 handles most devices, which are typically N150 or N300 class.