What's new

[384.11_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
ntp -d -n -p $(nvram get ntp_server0)
It tried to connect to a server that seems to be located in the US and should not be offered by my country (in the EU) specific pool.ntp.org setup...

However, after turning the router off once I'm so far not able to reproduce this issue (two boots now with ntp_ready getting set to 1).

Your clients will not know where to get their time if you don't configure them to the ntp server you want them to get the time from. It used to be, Merlin's firmware does not include an NTP server but since 384.11 Alpha's, he included the NTP server. It needs to be enabled(administration\system) so the server is active. Now, to use the server you need the clients pointed to the router((router.asus.com or the router's IP) so they get their time from it. What's good is your clients are only 1 hop from the router as compared to using outside source(pool.ntp.org/time.nist.gov) which are at least 8 hops or more.
Are we thinking the same thing?

No, I don't think we are. :)

Jack Yaz's ntpMerlin script is able to do that without touching the clients. I believe RMerlin has this capability too. ;)

See post 250 above. :)

Jack Yaz's ntpMerlin script is able to do that without touching the clients. I believe RMerlin has this capability too. ;)

See post 250 above. :)
I should add support for option 42 in dnsmasq...next version it is

I had been wondering the same thing: do client devices automatically get re-directed to this new ntpd time server in much the same way that DNS requests are captured/processed when using the DNS Filter setting? I suppose not after reading the last few comments. However, wouldn't one have to be careful to only manually adjust the ntp server settings of client devices (to point to the router) only if they are truly fixed devices (never moving outside your home LAN)? Could cause problems if you forget that you set this up in this manner on a laptop that subsequently "roamed" outside your home environment.

Edit: now I am not sure as the last couple of comments came in as I was typying the above...which way is it?

Jack Yaz's ntpMerlin script is able to do that without touching the clients. I believe RMerlin has this capability too.
That's because Jack Yaz's implementation of his ntpserver intercepts all NTP traffic if I understand it correctly from post #250 which Merlin's server doesn't. I'm not aware of Jack Yaz's ntp features, let's not mixed it up, on topic is Merlin's server that's what I'm posting about.

I should add support for option 42 in dnsmasq...next version it is

As usual, way above my head, but I'm curious... what is support for 'option 42'? :)

That's because Jack Yaz's implementation of his ntpserver intercepts all NTP traffic if I understand it correctly from post #250 which Merlin's server doesn't. I'm not aware of Jack Yaz's ntp features, let's not mixed it up, on topic is Merlin's server that's what I'm posting about.

I think you're misunderstanding me?

We are on topic.

I believe RMerlin's firmware option does exactly that too. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Or, do you have some proof that RMerlin's NTP server doesn't?

I think "wan-start" is an official custom user script name so I will use that.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
ip -6 route add default via fe80::1234:1234:1234:1234 dev eth0
#

I'd suggest to use something like below instead
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/accept_ra
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_ra
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/forwarding

Last edited:
what is support for 'option 42'? :)
It's one of many bits of network info the dhcp server (dnsmaq) can send to the client when they ask for an IP address. In this case option 42 specifes an ntp server the client should (but may choose not to) use.
Code:
dnsmasq --help dhcp
(or dnsmasq --help dhcp6)

I had been wondering the same thing: do client devices automatically get re-directed to this new ntpd time server in much the same way that DNS requests are captured/processed when using the DNS Filter setting?
Just for any of my fork users that may be reading this thread.....this is a firewall option on my fork if you have the SNTP server enabled.
ntpdfilter.png

What does that tells you? Can you explain?

I take it to mean that you do not need to manually set the router as the NTP server. :)

I take it to mean that you do not need to manually set the router as the NTP server. :)
I want to make it clear , we are talking about Merlins ntp server implementation, right? So, tell me how will I set a windows 10 client to get the time from the router? By default, windows get the time from time.windows.com. Certainly, it will not seek the time automatically from the router.

I want to make it clear , we are talking about Merlins ntp server implementation, right? So, tell me how will I set a windows 10 client to get the time from the router? By default, windows get the time from time.windows.com. Certainly, it will not seek the time automatically from the router.

Yes, RMerlin's. The options set in dnsmasq/DHCP do that for you and all your other connected clients automatically. :)

I don't see how it makes sense for it to not work this way.

That is how I see this working properly. Can anyone else verify what I'm stating?

Yes, RMerlin's. The options set in dnsmasq/DHCP do that for you and all your other connected clients automatically. :)

I don't see how it makes sense for it to not work this way.

That is how I see this working properly. Can anyone else verify what I'm stating?
I really want to hear Jack Yaz's or Merlin's opinion about this. It seems we are just going in circle with this. It does not make sense to automatically get the time from the router if the clients are configured to seek time from other time server not unless there is some kind of rerouting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!