What's new

[384.15_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm running Skynet and Diversion, and have been for a few days. There have been reboots during that time. All seems to be fine, except my router's 2 CPU cores are pegged to near 100% all the time. I notice this seems to be having an effect, for example, on my wireless performance. All this never occurred with my router prior to the installation and running of AMTM, Diversion, and Skynet. My CPU cores almost always ran in the single digits before.

Any ideas on what could be going on.

Anton

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 279
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 348
Hi,

I'm running Skynet and Diversion, and have been for a few days. There have been reboots during that time. All seems to be fine, except my router's 2 CPU cores are pegged to near 100% all the time. I notice this seems to be having an effect, for example, on my wireless performance. All this never occurred with my router prior to the installation and running of AMTM, Diversion, and Skynet. My CPU cores almost always ran in the single digits before.

Anton
Start your SSH console and enter into Diversion. Enter b for blocking list and run an update 4. and wait until its all done. Now check to see if the router still shows 100% on the two cores?

Hi,

Anton

Diversion > ep > 4 “restart Pixelserve”
Might tidy things if the blocking lists update doesn’t do what you want? :)

Start your SSH console and enter into Diversion. Enter b for blocking list and run an update 4. and wait until its all done. Now check to see if the router still shows 100% on the two cores?
Hi,

Update was successful, but CPU still at 98%

Diversion > ep > 4 “restart Pixelserve”
Might tidy things if the blocking lists update doesn’t do what you want? :)
Hi,

Performed the restart, but CPU still at 98%

I’m not at home to give you the exact command, but go into Diversion o option and find the menu item to reset ash history. That’s been known to cause high CPU before.

Hi,

Performed the restart, but CPU still at 98%
Sounds like it might be time for a full NVRAM reset, JFFS format and re-configure from zero. When was the last time you did that? I know it is a pain to do that, but it is the one sure way to get back in working order without "gremlins" of past configurations.

Sounds like it might be time for a full NVRAM reset, JFFS format and re-configure from zero. When was the last time you did that? I know it is a pain to do that, but it is the one sure way to get back in working order without "gremlins" of past configurations.
Right, I may do that. First, I've uninstalled SkyNet and Diversion, though I've left my USB in with AMTM and Entware. I GUI-ejected the USB, and rebooted the router. Nothing else. All is running normally now with CPU at its usual single digit values. I'll see how this goes for some hours, and then reinstall SkNet and run for a while. Then I'll reinstall Diversion and run for a awhile to see if the 98% CPU condition returns. If it does, I'll do your suggested NVRAM/JFFS routine.

Thanks,
Anton

Right, I may do that. First, I've uninstalled SkyNet and Diversion, though I've left my USB in with AMTM and Entware. I GUI-ejected the USB, and rebooted the router. Nothing else. All is running normally now with CPU at its usual single digit values. I'll see how this goes for some hours, and then reinstall SkNet and run for a while. Then I'll reinstall Diversion and run for a awhile to see if the 98% CPU condition returns. If it does, I'll do your suggested NVRAM/JFFS routine.

Thanks,
Anton
Sounds like a good plan, given that simply uninstalling Diversion and Skynet brought the CPU use back to normal levels. My method may have been overkill in this case, good thing "cooler heads prevailed" :).

@AntonK I know this may sound counterintuitive, but before you nuke your existing install, you may want to try installing unbound_manager.sh.

Really lets the router breathe and it may be enough for you to postpone a full M&M config until 384.15 is released. :)

Are you using the DNSFilter Global Filter mode in Router mode?

Are you using DoT in the WAN settings?

Are you using AiProtection?

What other features and/or scripts are you using if any?

@AntonK I know this may sound counterintuitive, but before you nuke your existing install, you may want to try installing unbound_manager.sh.

Really lets the router breathe and it may be enough for you to postpone a full M&M config until 384.15 is released. :)

Are you using the DNSFilter Global Filter mode in Router mode?

Are you using DoT in the WAN settings?

Are you using AiProtection?

What other features and/or scripts are you using if any?
So, so far I've uninstalled SkyNet and Diversion. Rebooted. Reinstalled only SkyNet, and so far everything is holding steady with normal CPU usage.

What is Unbound?

Attached is my WAN-DNS panel.

thanks,
Anton

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-31 212922.jpg
    Annotation 2020-01-31 212922.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 316
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/

If you do install unbound:
  • Set DNS Rebind Protection to 'No'.
  • Set Enable DNSSEC support to 'No'.
  • Go to LAN, DNSFilter and set DNSFilter 'On' and Global to 'Router'.
  • I would also recommend using either Quad9 or CloudFlare, but not both. :)
  • For the unbound options, use 'y' for logging, 'y' for tuning memory and just hit enter and enter again for both stubby and disabling DoH in Firefox. 'Enter' here means 'no'.
Are you using AiProtection? If you are, consider disabling it.

Unbound makes your router and network faster and more responsive. Well worth ssh' into the router and running the installer. :)

384.15 Alpha 2 on 2 RT-AC86Us in AP Mode, dirty upgrade from 384.13. The following are in the System Logs on each (Log level is Notice for both).

May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module scsi_wait_scan not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module uas not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module mbcache not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module jbd not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module ext3 not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module ext4 not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module ext2 not found in modules.dep
May 5 01:05:16 modprobe: module btusbdrv not found in modules.dep

Immediately after each block, the following occurs:

crond[989]: time disparity of 913919 minutes detected

Minutes are different for each, but occurs on both.

All of these are normal.

Hi,

Anton
I had the same problem a week or so back running 384.14_2, so this is unlikely to have anything to do with the 384.15 builds. I turned off logging in Diversion and uninstalled Skynet and everything has been fine ever since. Might try reinstalling it and troubleshooting it properly if it happens again.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/

If you do install unbound:
  • Set DNS Rebind Protection to 'No'.
  • Set Enable DNSSEC support to 'No'.
  • Go to LAN, DNSFilter and set DNSFilter 'On' and Global to 'Router'.
  • I would also recommend using either Quad9 or CloudFlare, but not both. :)
  • For the unbound options, use 'y' for logging, 'y' for tuning memory and just hit enter and enter again for both stubby and disabling DoH in Firefox. 'Enter' here means 'no'.
Are you using AiProtection? If you are, consider disabling it.

Unbound makes your router and network faster and more responsive. Well worth ssh' into the router and running the installer. :)

Sounds like you should include this in a future firmware. :)
Are there no drawbacks?

:)

Sounds like you should include this in a future firmware. :)
Are there no drawbacks?

None that I have seen so far. :)

I've been using it on my RT-AX88U for a few weeks now and can't stand being connected to any other network, that is how remarkable it is for a responsive network/browsing experience.

Browse to the main page of a site you visit regularly and opening almost any link within that site is greatly speeded up.

Please note that I also use the Auth-zone 'tweak' too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...-caching-dns-server.58967/page-36#post-542322

Thank you for your much appreciated answer! I will read something in the corresponding thread and probably try the unbound. However, I would like to keep DNSSEC and DOT in the settings.

I had the same problem a week or so back running 384.14_2, so this is unlikely to have anything to do with the 384.15 builds. I turned off logging in Diversion and uninstalled Skynet and everything has been fine ever since. Might try reinstalling it and troubleshooting it properly if it happens again.
So I uninstalled both Skynet and Diversion, and just ran for a time with only the USB in, AMTM and Entware. All ok and CPU acted normally. I reinstalled Skynet alone (since most responses to my other posts were focusing on Diversion), and have been running the computer now for many hours. All is ok, and the CPU is acting normally. So it seems to be something concerning Diversion that was pushing my CPU cores to a steady, pinned 98%.

Anton

So it it seems to be something concerning Diversion that was pushing my CPU cores to a steady, pinned 98%.
Besides the possibility of ash_history, you might also be seeing a high load as Pixelserv generates the initial certs for blocked domains. It should really be constant CPU though.

Run the “top” command to see what’s at the top of the list. Diversion doesn’t normally consume CPU itself so this is fixable with the right info from top.

Also better to move this to the Diversion thread since this thread might be locked soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!