What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I set the Authentication Method on "HTTPS" (only) and specify a custom LAN port for HTTPS via
Administration -> System -> Local Access Config:
Authentication Method: HTTPS
HTTP LAN port: 9035
HTTPS LAN port: 9032

I found out, that with this Merlin-FW the router's admin interface still can be accessed via the standard HTTP-Port (in my example 9035). This seemes to be a specific bug, as this is not possible with Asus' stock firmware (which doesn't allow to change HTTP Port 80).

I set the Authentication Method on "HTTPS" (only) and specify a custom LAN port for HTTPS via

I found out, that with this Merlin-FW the router's admin interface still can be accessed via the standard HTTP-Port (in my example 9035). This seemes to be a specific bug, as this is not possible with Asus' stock firmware (which doesn't allow to change HTTP Port 80).

This seems related to but different from:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/417

Ah, OK!
One more question: since you are using Quad9 do you implement Skynet or do you feel that Quad9's filtering is sufficient (perhaps in combination with AIProtection)? Just curious!
As of now I do not use any "extra" apps. I used the built in AMTM to format a USB and make a swap file but it used up extra RAM. So I reset the router and created a swap partition on the thumb drive along with EXT4 for network stats.

My new AX58U with Alpha_2 runs very well as AiMesh node, much better than my former AX88U with AC88U.
Great device with great Merlin firmware!

:)

This is probably the case because of AiProtection, which needs to be able to serve the block page over port 80.

This is probably the case because of AiProtection, which needs to be able to serve the block page over port 80.
I see that you have built beta 1. are you planning to merge the 68U source code of 385.20252 in the release? or wait for the release of 385.20253 source code?

thank you for your work.

I see that you have built beta 1. are you planning to merge the 68U source code of 385.20252 in the release? or wait for the release of 385.20253 source code?

thank you for your work.

No, because there was nothing really worth merging, and some of the changes are also incompatible with the 4 other models that are still based on 81351 (like the Trend Micro engine update). The next mainline GPL merge will have to wait until Asus updates it for other models as well.

A lot of the 20252 changes (like updates to dnsmasq) are behind my own code, or already in (like the odhcp6c and openssl 1.0.2 updates).

No, because there was nothing really worth merging, and some of the changes are also incompatible with the 4 other models that are still based on 81351 (like the Trend Micro engine update). The next mainline GPL merge will have to wait until Asus updates it for other models as well.

A lot of the 20252 changes (like updates to dnsmasq) are behind my own code, or already in (like the odhcp6c and openssl 1.0.2 updates).
I hope asus can provide the source code of 68U 385.20253 and 86U 384.81352 as soon as possible, at least you can use the fixed binary wifi driver. love your firmware and great work.

I am seeing these errors on my Main 86U on bootup, current setup as per my signature:

Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module scsi_wait_scan not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module uas not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module mbcache not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module jbd not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext3 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext4 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext2 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module btusbdrv not found in modules.dep

Is this something to do with USB? There is nothing plugged into the USB ports.

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,

I been running 386.16 Alpha 2 now for a couple of days. Tested VPN Client with manual portforwarding (iptables).
I also created a small script to load iptable rules so port stays open. Works like a charm!
My RT-AX88U can download/upload 105 Mbps with OVPN (my connection is 100Mbit) Amazing!

"802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode" results that my Lenovo laptop can't find the wireless. I need to disable it.
Wirless performance is very poor with 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode despite good signal.
Disabling it gives similar performance as i had before with AC-87U.

I noticed if i don't put control channel 52 / 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode = Off,
wireless connection speed shows less then 100Mbit, but with the setting above all network cards get maxed.

When maxing 100Mbit connection over VPN, router shows 10%,50%,5%,5% so I guess no need to install WireGuard for now :)

Thank you for great work! FW is perceived as very stable.

/Sweden

I am seeing these errors on my Main 86U on bootup, current setup as per my signature:

Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module scsi_wait_scan not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module uas not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module mbcache not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module jbd not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext3 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext4 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module ext2 not found in modules.dep
Mar 15 06:01:02 modprobe: module btusbdrv not found in modules.dep

Is this something to do with USB? There is nothing plugged into the USB ports.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-15_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.60731/page-22#post-546047

Thanks for the link, and finding it for me. Much appreciated.
You are welcome. I just did a copy and paste of
Code:
modprobe: module
in the "Search" at the top right of every page. That was the first hit with a reply from RMerlin. ;)

Last edited:
On alpha 2. There's sth wrong about the scaling of the chart of 24hr traffic monitor. It just scales up for no reason. The ceiling value is now 1361462.40KB/s, rendering it useless. After restart the 'rstats', it starts normally, but gradually increases the ceiling indefinitely.
Didn't experience it on alpha 1.
2020-03-15_12.24.31.249_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png 2020-03-15_12.53.28.722_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png

On alpha 2. There's sth wrong about the scaling of the chart of 24hr traffic monitor. It just scales up for no reason. The ceiling value is now 1361462.40KB/s, rendering it useless. After restart the 'rstats', it starts normally, but gradually increases the ceiling indefinitely.
Didn't experience it on alpha 1.
View attachment 21925 View attachment 21926
Beta is out
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-asuswrt-merlin-384-16-beta-and-384-13_5-are-available.62699/

@RMerlin: Thanks for the fix you provided and checked in.
Convincing, that it seams to be the reason why Asus don't let us change port 80.
With your firmware I can change it and AiProtections still works fine. :):):)

However, I wanted to explain, that with ASUS stock firmware, if you set "Authentication Method: HTTPS" (only), you cannot access the WEBUI via port 80 anymore (not shure, my post was so clear about this).

@RMerlin: Thanks for the fix you provided and checked in.
Convincing, that it seams to be the reason why Asus don't let us change port 80.
With your firmware I can change it and AiProtections still works fine. :):):)

However, I wanted to explain, that with ASUS stock firmware, if you set "Authentication Method: HTTPS" (only), you cannot access the WEBUI via port 80 anymore (not shure, my post was so clear about this).

It probably depends on the router model and the firmware version, because I just checked Asus's code, and it's identical to mine. They will always start httpd in non-https mode if the router firmware has the RTCONFIG_AIHOME_TUNNEL feature enabled in it. So, this is by design and not a bug.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!