What's new

[384.9_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried this one on my AX88U and couldn't get the 5G radio to work. Tried a reset with initialize box checked still a no go. Plus the router was very sluggish and slow to respond during initial setup after reset. Went back to the ASUS .5640 and 5G radio is back on.

I don't know what you guys are doing with your RT-AX88U, but I've had zero stability problem with my wifi so far...

I don't understand why this is such a hard thing to fix... It is very annoying to me as well. I want to be able to see everything connected. But I believe it is hard coded in ASUS code and Merlin may not be able to do anything about it.

Asus decided to make networkmap closed source last year.

As a work around you reliably can view most clients connected via the dhcp table.
The only clients not shown in the DHCP table are the ones who grab a static IP instead of a dhcp lease.

The client map has been slow to fully populate for the last forever (mine always seems to be missing random devices).

I think the reason this happens is because once a device has no more active connections, it is not considered as a active device in the trendmicro device database, even though that device most likely is STILL is actively connected to the network/wifi.

Now get this, THEY ALREADY HAVE IT INTERNALLY FIXED.

If you navigate the firmware, there is different section that queries data from the same connected device database.

AiProtection -> Parental Controls -> Time Scheduling -> Client Name -> Show Offline Client List
They DO have a correctly populated database of ALL clients that were once connected to the network. What they simply have to do is make an assumption and simply implement a timer where once a device has been detected as "active/online", it will remain in the "active/online" list for the next XX hours.

Is it really that crucial to remove a devices online/active status ASAP????

---

Of course since this is the trendmicro section of the code, we have no ability to create simple fixes like the on above ....

A lot of the trendmicro code can use improvements / simple fixes across the board. I don't think they care since it really is a MINOR fix.

Networkmap relies on ARP to build a list of clients, so it should be able to properly build a list of currently active clients. I don't know if the problems lie in how they refresh that list, or how they manipulate it afterward at the webui level.

Having clients shown in the offline list simply means that, at one point, the clients were visible. It doesn't imply that they are still connected, the offline list is saved in jffs/nvram I believe.

Networkmap relies on ARP to build a list of clients, so it should be able to properly build a list of currently active clients. I don't know if the problems lie in how they refresh that list, or how they manipulate it afterward at the webui level.

Having clients shown in the offline list simply means that, at one point, the clients were visible. It doesn't imply that they are still connected, the offline list is saved in jffs/nvram I believe.

I just tried ARP and it correctly returned all devices.

Client-map & whatever toggles the online status in the offline list both show the same exact, but incomplete, data.

Everytime it reparses the data, its a hit and miss if it will return all the devices in the arp list.

I still wouldn't mind a 24hr timer till deactivation like how the dhcp table works to fully show a snapshot of recent devices but wouldn't complain if it could correctly parse the arp table.

Last edited:
Well, even wi-fi devices maintain a connection even in low power mode and can be seen on the wi-fi log page as well.

I just tried ARP and it correctly returned all devices.

Client-map & whatever toggles the online status in the offline list both show the same exact, but incomplete, data.

Everytime it reparses the data, its a hit and miss if it will return all the devices in the arp list.

I still wouldn't mind a 24hr timer till deactivation like how the dhcp table works to fully show a snapshot of recent devices but wouldn't complain if it could correctly parse the arp table.

If Asus hadn't radically changed the data structures shared between networkmap and httpd, I would have been tempted to revert back to the last open sourced networkmap. Over the years I fixed tons of bugs in that code. Thankfully, Asus picked the vast majority of these fixes, however it seems they have introduced new ones since closing down the code....

Third attempt.... Does anybody have these two problems?

Known issue. The fix was committed on January 19th, so it wasn't included in the last alpha build.

Last edited:
I tried both alpha 2 versions to the same issue. I have 384.8_2 on it now and all is well.

Make sure you don't use DFS channels, as it can take a while before the scan process completes, plus some clients don't support these channels.

upload_2019-1-23_16-18-21.png

upload_2019-1-23_16-19-23.png

wireless 1.png
wireless 2.png

I have a RT-AX88U and I have no issues with 5GHz wireless operations. I live 2.92 miles from a FAA Long Range ARSR-1 radar site, and 2.90 miles from a FAA ASR-11 radar installation.

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys are doing with your RT-AX88U, but I've had zero stability problem with my wifi so far...
Have you tried it with Smart Connect?
That might be part of the issue, since folks seem to "fix" the issue by changing 5Ghz channels, and with Smart Connect, you can't since it auto-assigns.
I've stopped using the Alphas because of this, but I have the same problem that it shows "Disabled" under Tools, even after an "Initialize" of the unit, with no previous configurations loaded.

Otherwise a lot of us either have faulty units, or we've got something else in common. (Perhaps hardware version...etc)
I'm at a loss for trying to address this issue, I have very basic configurations on my unit, and have re-flashed and re-Initialized my device multiple times with the Alpha builds, and still have 5Ghz showing Disabled.
Going back to the latest Merlin release, or Asus release brings the 5Ghz back, so I'm not certain this is a hardware issue, but if it is, my window to return my unit is closing fast.

I have a RT-AX88U and I have no issues with 5GHz wireless operations. I live 2.92 miles from a FAA Long Range ARSR-1 radar site, and 2.90 miles from a FAA ASR-11 radar installation.
Have you checked under "Tools" and see if it shows the 5Ghz temp reading as "Disabled" by chance?

Ok, I got the latest alpha working on my AX88U after a dirty install over 384.8_2 Thanks for the screen shots on 5ghz setup, Merlin.

Have you tried it with Smart Connect?

I don't use Smart Connect. I don't trust clients to make the best decisions, and anyway I want everything on the 5 GHz band, except for the Roomba which does not support 5 GHz.

Then you should definitely not use DFS channels, because it means at any time you might get bumped off your channel. Right now you are on channel 100 using 160 MHz, meaning you overlap a very large number of DFS channels. Switch to channel 36, and disable 160 MHz channels.

I know Asus improved DFS channel support in firmwares they released after the GPL I'm using, which means you have double the reasons not to use them with 384.9.

Then you should definitely not use DFS channels, because it means at any time you might get bumped off your channel. Right now you are on channel 100 using 160 MHz, meaning you overlap a very large number of DFS channels. Switch to channel 36, and disable 160 MHz channels.

I know Asus improved DFS channel support in firmwares they released after the GPL I'm using, which means you have double the reasons not to use them with 384.9.

I understand your concern. Prior to purchasing the RT-AX88U, I used a Linksys WRT3200 for over a year, running DD-WRT using DFS Channels, and never had an issue with any of my 5GHz devices. The same has held true for the RT-AX88U, and I get the fastest wireless speeds using this configuration without disconnects. I guess I have been lucky so far but DFS has been a positive for me. In my earlier post I could have included that fact that another radar site, ASR9, is about 7 miles north of my location. I did not think it was relevant because of the lack of interference for the closer sites.

I understand your concern. Prior to purchasing the RT-AX88U, I used a Linksys WRT3200 for over a year, running DD-WRT using DFS Channels, and never had an issue with any of my 5GHz devices. The same has held true for the RT-AX88U, and I get the fastest wireless speeds using this configuration without disconnects. I guess I have been lucky so far but DFS has been a positive for me. In my earlier post I could have included that fact that another radar site, ASR9, is about 7 miles north of my location. I did not think it was relevant because of the lack of interference for the closer sites.

The fact that you are using 160 MHz worth if bandwidth instead of 80 MHz greatly increases your chances of conflicting with a radar.

@RMerlin sometimes after a FW upgrade it will ask for a manual reboot, sometimes it wont; even though FW numbers do successfully change, do you know why, is it wise to follow instruction or is this second reboot a waste of time? Latest alpha running smooth and fast. 5g so perfectly disabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!