What's new

[384.9_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minidnla fixed in Alpha 3
Concur here on my rt5300...Content is adding and deleting from the network drive, and all content is present and as it should be. Plus, it all plays now!!
Thanks, Eric!

I consider 2.4 GHz to be on its way out, as clients tend to be dual band these days, except maybe still low-end laptops (do manufacturers still cram these with single band single stream crap?)

I hope not as I have a metric crap ton of devices that only do 2.4 GHz from WiFi controlled electric plugs to sprinkler system.

I have a question for anyone that knows:

Will it ever be possible for the AX-88U to have hardware acceleration fully enabled (runner & flow cache) with QoS on?

I'm asking because my bandwidth drops by 50% for all devices when I turn on QoS right now with Alpha 3. There is just not enough CPU speed for single core operations.

Thanks.

I hope not as I have a metric crap ton of devices that only do 2.4 GHz from WiFi controlled electric plugs to sprinkler system.

I don't mean it's on the way out from router's point of view, more from the clients's point of view.

Will it ever be possible for the AX-88U to have hardware acceleration fully enabled (runner & flow cache) with QoS on?

No, for the same reason as with other router models. Hardware acceleration works by taking shortcuts and bypassing various Linux subsystems. One of these is involved in QoS handling.

I suspect the issue was only with specific codecs, as I tweaked the ffmpeg settings. Probably none of my test files used the affected codecs.
Well whatever you did fixed miniDLNA for the indexing of .vob files for me since 380.65. Since then miniDLNA log file would log a failure to index each .vob file. Whenever I would add a new .vob file to my video folder I would flash back to 380.65, force a complete index scan, then flash back to current firmware. The quick test I just did with one .vob & .m2ts file was properly indexed & played with alpha3. The miniDLNA log file shows no failures to index.

Thank you & great work RMerlin.

Last edited:
No, for the same reason as with other router models. Hardware acceleration works by taking shortcuts and bypassing various Linux subsystems. One of these is involved in QoS handling.
Thanks for the reply.

Follow up question: With QoS on, I can only get about 420Mbps on gigabit fiber. It seems that something involving QoS is only running on a single core. Is this something that is being worked on? Forgive me, but i'm just trying to decide if I should keep the AX-88U or not.

With QoS on, I can only get about 420Mbps on gigabit fiber.

Is your gigabit fiber asymmetric? With symmetric gigabit fiber I can't see a reason why one would need QoS.

I thought I read that adaptive QoS only disables one of the acceleration methods. Not sure if that's still the case for the HND models. That might help you get better speeds if need to use QoS.

Is your gigabit fiber asymmetric? With symmetric gigabit fiber I can't see a reason why one would need QoS.
Yes, it is. I use a lot of bandwidth at times. I want low priority interfaces to throttle down when high priority interfaces are using a lot of bandwidth.

What kind of cpu power would you need to run gigabit and qos in that case if you done mind me asking?

All my tests were also done by only indexing a specific folder (as I only had one folder containing test files), so I don't think that's what makes the difference.

As said by other seems fixed in alpha 3, thx.

Although the minidlna's log timestamp is still off by a few years :)
Code:
[1970/01/01 01:03:21] minidlna.c:1313: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.2.1.
[1970/01/01 01:03:21] minidlna.c:378: warn: Creating new database at /tmp/mnt/WD/.minidlna/files.db
[1970/01/01 01:03:21] minidlna.c:1354: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[1970/01/01 01:03:21] scanner.c:980: warn: Scanning /tmp/mnt/WD/Media
[1970/01/01 01:03:25] scanner.c:1185: warn: Scanning /tmp/mnt/WD/Media finished (19 files)!
[1970/01/01 01:03:25] playlist.c:135: warn: Parsing playlists...
[1970/01/01 01:03:25] playlist.c:269: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
[1970/01/01 01:03:26] monitor.c:285: warn: rows=add_watch_subdir,1-num_watches
[1970/01/01 01:03:26] monitor.c:248: warn:

What kind of cpu power would you need to run gigabit and qos in that case if you done mind me asking?

There are less cpu intensive queuing algorithms for QoS available, intended more for high speed connections like gigabit, which simply ensure every device gets a fair share of bandwidth.

No reason for deep packet analysis, different classes, etc at those speeds.

Upgrade AC3100 from V384.9_alpha2-g2c530c696 to V384.9_alpha3-g90685d684, and dirty reboot router. All appears to be working except the following that still worked in V384.8_2:

- Under "General|Network Map" Clients are back to listing only a few clients on my network, and when you click "View List", Clients disappear and list resets, never showing all clients
- This also resets the clients shown in the "Adaptive QOS | Bandwidth Monitor" section, until it populates again with LAN and Wireless clients. Those clients will stay there unless you go to the tab "General|Network Map" and click on the "View List" Tab or the "Computer Button" that runs "<IP Address>/device-map/clients.asp"

On my AC3200 the opposite has happened, never had an issue with client list in years, the first to 349 alphas saw the client list fail , having flashed the latest alpha the client list now works perfectly again.

I guess it was just that I was trying to use traditional QoS. I got similar results with the stock firmware, so I enabled adaptive QoS in Merlin, and it's going at full speed. For traditional mode, you would need two full cores at 100% to max out a gigabit connection.

On my AC3200 the opposite has happened, never had an issue with client list in years, the first to 349 alphas saw the client list fail , having flashed the latest alpha the client list now works perfectly again.

I agree client list working good with alpha 3.

I keep getting /usr/sbin/acsd running at 50% (one whole core). It does not happen at first, but if I leave the router running for a few hours the CPU jumps and stays there. I can kill acsd with no apparent issues, and this fixes the problem for a while, but within a few hours it returns. I do a scheduled reboot every night to make sure this gets cleared up at least once a day. AC5300 on alpha 3. Any ideas?
upload_2019-1-25_11-36-43.png

upload_2019-1-25_11-37-5.png

Attachments

• GUIjpg.jpg
    GUIjpg.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 297
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 287
  • GUIjpg.jpg
    GUIjpg.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 246
I too have a 1gig symmetrical fiber connection and I turn on the adaptive Qos without any slowdown really. It may not be needed but I like to see all the stats on the classification tab. I think it's some weird OCD thing maybe, wanting to look at all those meaningless numbers all the time. Lol.

Probably something along the lines of an Intel i3 or i5.

Although the minidlna's log timestamp is still off by a few years

It's a bug introduced by Asus, they did a global search and replace for time(NULL) calls replacing them with a custom uptime() function to better handle expirations, but unfortunately they also did it for the logging code where it made no sense, breaking it along the way. I already fixed it on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!