What's new

News [ 386.3_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No offense Merlin, but software / firmware development and new releases are boring nowadays. Most software is so mature and feature rich that there are rarely stuff to get excited about. The QR codes are neat but boring. No offense Merlin, your software is great. I cannot think of the last time I installed a new version of software and went WOW. I miss the old days sometimes......
Asuswrt-Merlin is at a point in its life where I consider it a mature project, so the vast majority of my dev time is spent on maintaining rather than adding any new features. I have always been opposed to feature creep, which bloats software just for the sake of adding new stuff. That`s why I leave a lot of that to third party developers through the addon system.

With the number of different models I currently support (and more are on the way for the coming months) and the amount of work involved in merging new GPLs (versus back in 2012-2013), that alone is taking up most of my spare development time. So expect the majority of new features to come from Asus (which has already been the case for a year or two now). 386 added a few interesting feature, expect more to come from them in the coming months.

Asuswrt-Merlin is at a point in its life where I consider it a mature project, so the vast majority of my dev time is spent on maintaining rather than adding any new features. I have always been opposed to feature creep, which bloats software just for the sake of adding new stuff. That`s why I leave a lot of that to third party developers through the addon system.

With the number of different models I currently support (and more are on the way for the coming months) and the amount of work involved in merging new GPLs (versus back in 2012-2013), that alone is taking up most of my spare development time. So expect the majority of new features to come from Asus (which has already been the case for a year or two now). 386 added a few interesting feature, expect more to come from them in the coming months.
Merlin, your kindness in this response reveals much about you! Thanks for your efforts...

I am sorry if my first post was taken as rude. It was just an opinion on the current state of the Merlin package, that Merlin basically agreed that is the case. There is just not a lot that can be added to the core software of most software out there today.

This is great news @RMerlin.

I'm hoping you may be able support the new GT-AXE11000 at some point in the future. Thanks for all you do!

Observation: I accidentally found that the "Language" drop-down list got hidden when on the first default router page immediately after login as shown below:

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 08.06.19.png

However, it re-appears if I move to any other router pages, eg. when I move from "Status" tab to "Wireless" tab below:

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 08.06.34.png

Edit: PS: I am using Safari 14.1.1 on macOS Big Sur 11.4

Nice work @MartinDEE
Now I feel like Cousin Eddie by putting a printed piece of paper on the refrigerator door.
I obviously have to up my game too: I was going to tape it inside one of the kitchen cupboards

I have upgraded and added a Sony Bravia XR55A80J for display of the QR code.
Both working well.

Where is this QR code located in the UI ?
It's in the Guest Network section. You'll see a link to display the QR code for your Guest Network.

Like this:

KZCjTry.png

It's in the Guest Network section. You'll see a link to display the QR code for your Guest Network.

Like this:

KZCjTry.png
And on the Networkmap for the regular network (click on the Wireless tab within the System Status frame on the right side of the main index page).

And on the Networkmap for the regular network (click on the Wireless tab within the System Status frame on the right side of the main index page).
LOL! How did I only discover this now? Was only aware of the Guest network one. Beauty. Gonna need more 77" LG OLED 4K TVs now. 1 per network right? Yes.

I've always wished that @RMerlin would (be allowed to) bake us a version with some of the Asus specific stuff that USED to be useful before in years past. Specifically strip out all the AI Cloud, AI Disk, allowing us to run https on port 443 like God meant it to be. Remove Time Machine, I never see anyone mentioning configuring or using it.

I'm sure it would be a) Frowned upon by Asus and b) Difficult since we never know what code or libraries are shared between components.

But lowering the memory footprint and size of image would be beneficial. Perhaps Asus will decide to remove these in the coming year(s).

I've always wished that @RMerlin would (be allowed to) bake us a version with some of the Asus specific stuff that USED to be useful before in years past. Specifically strip out all the AI Cloud, AI Disk, allowing us to run https on port 443 like God meant it to be. Remove Time Machine, I never see anyone mentioning configuring or using it.

I'm sure it would be a) Frowned upon by Asus and b) Difficult since we never know what code or libraries are shared between components.

But lowering the memory footprint and size of image would be beneficial. Perhaps Asus will decide to remove these in the coming year(s).
I have configured and used time machine on the router, did it for awhile, then decided it was just too slow to be useable, and turned it off.

The thing is just cuz you don't use it doesn't mean that others dont. BTW I don't use Air Cloud, Air Disk or Time machine.

Remove Time Machine, I never see anyone mentioning configuring or using it.
Many of us use it. A search will show numerous threads.

We just don't post off topic in the wrong threads. :)

But lowering the memory footprint and size of image would be beneficial.
Disabled features don't use any memory, so simply keep the features that you don't use disabled.

Image size has zero impact on performance.

And.... done!

pNdpH1G.png

EDIT: Upgraded design with a hat-tip to @RMerlin and Pi-hole. Keeping my network safe.

KX0ArSM.png

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!