What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm usingRT-AC68U, on asuswrt-Merlin 380.67_0, in fact I just reinstalled the firmware but still getting the same error msg.
Enter these, one after the other and post it:
nvram get buildinfo
nvram get buildno
nvram get sw_mode
netstat -tuln | grep ":80"

Enter these, one after the other and post it:
nvram get buildinfo
nvram get buildno
nvram get sw_mode
netstat -tuln | grep ":80"

nvram: Error getting variable - 'get': (iokit/common) data was not found

No response for the 4th command.

No response for the 4th command.
Are you running thes commands on a SSH terminal connected to your router or directly in a terminal on your computer?
AB-Solution can only be installed on the router.

Are you running thes commands on a SSH terminal connected to your router or directly in a terminal on your computer?
AB-Solution can only be installed on the router.

I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. I'm running the terminal from my mac which is connected to the router. Am I doing it wrongly?

If yes, how do I connect the terminal to my router? Apologies for the stupid questions.

I had a feeling I was doing something wrong. I'm running the terminal from my mac which is connected to the router. Am I doing it wrongly?

If yes, how do I connect the terminal to my router? Apologies for the stupid questions.
Code:
ssh <user>@<router IP>
If you use a port other than 22 for SSH, then:
Code:
ssh <user>@<router IP> -p <port number>
To clarify if that were your settings:
Code:
ssh admin@192.168.1.1

@kenlui85: I hope AB is installed now...

Haha.. I'm trying to format a pendrive to the ext2 format. Googling on how to format it.
Plug it in your mac, it can do ext2 formatting.

I only have option to format as exFAT under disk utilities. But in the asuswrt merlin page, the disc is unmounted.
Right, standard install does not have that option.

Awesome! In the field working but have a ac68 for router here. SSH back to home server, SCP pihole custom list here and copy into blacklist.txt. Great program thank you.

Awesome! In the field working but have a ac68 for router here. SSH back to home server, SCP pihole custom list here and copy into blacklist.txt. Great program thank you.

ended up just pushing to github my custom list was taking too long and adding to to a custom list, still great program

ended up just pushing to github my custom list was taking too long and adding to to a custom list, still great program
What does your custom list look like?
Is it a list of domains or links to a download source, such as http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt?
Blacklist entries need to be in the format of:
0.0.0.0 domain.com

You can use the custom block list to add your own download sources, one per line in the created file.

What does your custom list look like?
Is it a list of domains or links to a download source, such as http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt?
Blacklist entries need to be in the format of:
0.0.0.0 domain.com

You can use the custom block list to add your own download sources, one per line in the created file.
I'm sorry, I should have elaborated more on that. It was taking too long because my WAN connection out here is a wired LTE modem, not because there's an issue with ab-solution on this router.

I didn't realize dd-wrt was still going - what version is it at now? V24 was many years ago, I thought it fragmented with dozens of forks and incomplete svn source-code and toolchains - due to commercial link with Buffalo they had access to Broadcom SDK and used to use a unique kernel version and wireless drivers which couldn't then be used by anytone else...
I started out on DD-WRT. It was kewl at first. But then I read about Merlin FW and decided to give it a try. For me, it is way better. Once I need to expand the functionality of DD-WRT, I started experiencing some issues. Concerns I have with DD-WRT are out of date documentation, it does not come loaded with ipset, it is super easy for a version of firmware to brick the router (which I have experienced), parental controls don't work and issues with cron not running.

There are so many routers that can run DD-WRT. I don't see how the @thelonelycoder could even begin to support such a large user base with different versions of FW and models and brands of routers, unless he had a full time staff. Remember, @thelonelycoder does this project out of his passion and love for coding. Users are not required to pay. Donations are voluntary. @thelonelycoder does an awesome job with AB-Solution and is to be commended for his contributions to the community.

@Rimmel, if you need an ad blocking solution for DD-WRT, a google search will lead you to some. I forked a solution from https://github.com/aviadra/anti-ads-pack. Although I have not posted it on github as I don't have the time to field questions about it. Plus, the last DD-WRT router I support will soon be regulated to AP duties and replaced with a ASUS router running Merlin FW and AB-Solution.

For Plex users:
The new privacy policy removes the option to opt-out of the anonymous data usage.
With the next Plex update, data will be shared, PlexPass user or not.

Add this to your blacklist:
metrics.plex.tv

Highlights of what is changing:
  • Upcoming features and services involving third-party and ad-supported content will require Plex to collect and, in some cases, share information about the third-party content you are streaming. For clarity, third-party content is content that we deliver or stream to you that is not contained in your personal media library.
  • In order to understand the usage across the Plex ecosystem and how we need to improve, Plex will continue to collect usage statistics, such as device type, duration, bit rate, media format, resolution, and media type (music, photos, videos, etc.). We will no longer allow the option to opt out of this statistics collection, but we do not sell or share your personally identifiable statistics. Again, we will not collect any information that identifies libraries, files, file names, and/or the specific content stored on your privately hosted Plex Media Servers. The only exception to this is when, and only to the extent, you use Plex with third-party services such as Sonos, Alexa, webhooks, and Last.fm.
  • Finally, we’ve made updates and clarifications to a number of sections and definitions throughout, including the addition of clarifying examples, in response to questions from our community over the last few months.
https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-policy-update-notice/

Last edited:
I am using yahoo.com to test if this is working or not, but I keep getting ads that show up (whether I modify the whitelist file or not).

As seen in the pictures... what is going on here?
pixelserv-tls is enabled. :/

Attachments

• 2017-08-21_20-50-17.png
    2017-08-21_20-50-17.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 2017-08-21_20-50-23.png
    2017-08-21_20-50-23.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 608
I am using yahoo.com to test if this is working or not, but I keep getting ads that show up (whether I modify the whitelist file or not).
As seen in the pictures... what is going on here?
pixelserv-tls is enabled. :/
The blocking file, amalgamated from 5 hosts files for the AB-Maximum type, blocks the ads, a larger blocking file blocks more ads but may require white-listing for some websites to work.
The blacklist is to block additional domains not covered by the blocking file.
The whitelist is to remove domains from the blocking file, letting that domain through to your browser/devices.

If ad-blocking is not working at all, see the FAQ on the website.

I thought about a feature yesterday. To purge our blacklist file from time to time it could be useful to show similar between the hosts file which are downloaded and our blacklist.txt

For instance if i ad some ads to my blacklist file as it's not present on stevenblack one and i add it on stevenblack after on github. What do you think about thelonelycoder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.