What's new

AC5300 features I need missing, need some help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cammelspit

New Around Here
Alright, I signed up here just so I could get some help with this. So first let me set the scene.

I own two houses, they are right next door to one another. One of these houses is rented out, room by room to a bunch of roommates. Up until now, these roommates have been kind, respectful and always did as I ask when it comes to internet usage. We use one 300/30 connection from COX and share between both houses using only one AC5300 router. It gets great signal and even my phone on 2.4 only works anywhere on both properties well, love it. But we have started having issues. One of these roommates is one of those people who knows just enough to get himself into trouble. I have a 1TB bandwidth cap from COX, which has been perfectly fine up until the last two months. This guy seems to think it's OK to torrent at a rate that is maxing out the connection and has blasted past my cap by the tune of two to three TB OVER my 1TB limit. Of course, this is unacceptable. I have had several house meetings and have even talked to him personally. Just a few days ago I actually yelled at him for bein inconsiderate and making MY internet that I paid for run like crap and risk getting our whole service suspended, on our 3rd letter from COX already.

Aside from blocking his MAC right at the router level, which I don't want to do because it was understood that internet was part of the rental deal, I have to do SOMETHING! I would like to cap his bandwidth and only his to a modest level of maybe 10/1 but unfortunately, I realized that the bandwidth limiter function in the firmware page does literally nothing. Nothing at all. Not only does it not limit his bandwidth, it doesn't even slow him down when I want to use the connection.

After looking into it, I have come to the conclusion that I need to likely use Merlin and then set a script to limit his MAC to only be able to work at a specific level. Would be nice if I could just throttle all torrent traffic to something silly like 0.01/0.01 and his total overall traffic to a modest maximum or something similar. I don't want to use DDWRT because it's not official or even based off of official software like Merlin is.

I have telnet and SSH working so I can log in and do commands but I need help finding out exactly how to do what I need to be able to do. Otherwise, it looks like I will have to get another router entirely and have that network only connect using 802.11B JUST for this guy. I don't want to do this because I am sure this is an issue that will crop up sometime in the future as the roommates rotate and I want a more permanent solution.

Even if ALL I can do is per client limiting, this should be fine because I can just keep dropping his cap until he stops. I am on the verge of cutting him off entirely but I am afraid to do that because of rental agreements and such, limiting is well within my rights, though.

I need resources and I need some smart people to help me out here. At my wit's end and I will kiss anyone who can help me out here.

Thanks in advance!

Bandwidth limiter is working for me on my AC3100. I set separate limits for upload and download for my phone on wifi and ran a speed test and both values were maintained. I'm using Asuswert-Merlin 380.65 firmware.

Bandwidth limiter is working for me on my AC3100. I set separate limits for upload and download for my phone on wifi and ran a speed test and both values were maintained. I'm using Asuswert-Merlin 380.65 firmware.
So, you are saying that proper per client bandwidth limiting through the QoS tab actually works with the Merlin firmware? This may not be able to distinguish between Torrent and other traffic but that should work. I will go and flash it late tonight or early morning tomorrow and report back to tell you what I find. I had done some google searches and many people with the AC5300 seemed to say that it didn't work properly but I may have been confusing Merlin vs Stock firmware.

Yup. I just enabled it and ran a test on my phone and it worked.

When you say many people said it didn't work were they specifically referring to the bandwidth limiter or QoS in general? I've come across a few threads about QoS not working properly with various Asus models but don't recall anything specific to bandwidth limiter. Seems like some models would only work with adaptive QoS if I remember correctly.

Yup. I just enabled it and ran a test on my phone and it worked.

When you say many people said it didn't work were they specifically referring to the bandwidth limiter or QoS in general? I've come across a few threads about QoS not working properly with various Asus models but don't recall anything specific to bandwidth limiter. Seems like some models would only work with adaptive QoS if I remember correctly.
I will admit it is entirely possible that it's entirely me and I was looking at the wrong place. I will wait to do the flash until the dude is off the network so the next time he comes back to use it, it will be slow. I honestly had half a mind to kick him back to a few hundred K for a month or two as punishment... Would that make me a bad person? :D

Bandwidth Limiter is broken in 3.0.0.4.380_7266.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!