What's new

[AC88U] 48 wifi connected item max ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sanka

New Around Here
Hi !

As I'm addicted to home automation, I have a lot of wifi connected items at home.
I changed my original router (my Internet provider's one) because it couldn't handle more thant 32 wifi clients at the same time. I took an Asus AC88U, and I was happy to discover (as I couldn't find any information about this limit) that he could handle more than 32.
But since, I bought some more wifi connected devices, and I realize that its limit is 48. 32, 48, both 8's multiples. So it seems like a logical limit, not a physical one. I read somewhere that it could be a lack of computing power, but both CPU's and RAM are mainly free on the router... Ethernet connected items do not count (I have 51-52 devices connnected if I count both Ethernet and Wifi)
When I reboot, the items first used connect before some items that are not currently used, and the problem reappears later, once all the items have requested a connection. Then, there's a turnover, as soon as one item doesn't need connection, a pending one takes its place.
I found someone who had a mesh setup, and the limit seems to be the same, having more routers doesn't permit to have more wifi item connected at the same time.
I'm on Merlin's firmware on my router, but I couldn't find any option to rise up the wifi connection's limit. As it seems to be a logical limit, I think it's would be possible overcome it.
I'm really dissapointed, as I'm surprised that nowadays, with the explosion of connected item, such limit exists, and above all, there's absolutly no informations given by manufacturers about it, even if you search for it... You can only buy, then discover by yourself, after hours (days) of resetup. I'm also surprised that it seems almost no one discusses about it, am I the only one that have so much domotics wifi items at home ?
If anyone has a solution, help would be appreciated ! And if I find one, I'll share it here. Sorry if my english isn't perfect, especially when it come to technical terms...

PS :
I already chose a clean channel (plus, there's not much houses around me, all channel are relatively clear). These items need 2.4Ghz wifi, but if it was an interference problem, it would occur randomly, not on precise 8's multiple limits such as 32 or 48.

Is there an Asus router that would have a "professionnal" limit ? Resetting all my network took me so much time (all items have their fxed IP, description -even custom picture- etc, plus, all the connected items need to be reset if network changes, loosing also ll automations and routines... If I could have an Asus's router that works fine, I may export my current settings !

Is there a place where I can suggest/vote for options to be added in Merlin's custom version ?

Many thanks !

Sounds like you may have an issue with DHCP pool size. I use AC88U and AX88U, but never experienced those issues.
How big is your dynamic address pool?

(all items have their fxed IP, description -even custom picture- etc, plus, all the connected items need to be reset if network changes

Just to see if it helps save your current configuration and settings so you can always revert, then rework your static IPs to minimize device's names, descriptions and don't use custom icons. Just to check if you have a memory issue.

I assume that you have taken all basic steps recommended to solve WiFi problems including selecting a fixed channel and turning off beam forming. Also where possible connect as many devices as possible using Ethernet connections.

If this doesn't help then you can always reload your saved configuration.

If nothing helps consider adding Ethernet connected APs to spread the WiFi radio load over multiple radios. Use a different channel for the router and the AP. Then instruct each device to connect to either the router or the AP and divide the load. The router should not have issues even with more clients than you have, it is the radios that probably are the limiting factor.

Sounds like you may have an issue with DHCP pool size. I use AC88U and AX88U, but never experienced those issues.
How big is your dynamic address pool?

Hi !

I have fixed my DHCP pool size to 41, but all my items are manually set to get an IP outside the DHCP pool, all tidy (.1 to .9 are PCs, .10 to .20 are phones, .100 to .150 are bulbs, etc...). DHCP pool is set from .200 to .240, but all adresses are free, as every item I connect is immediatly set to be out of the pool. For items that aren't mine, I configured a guest wifi separated on my POI's router, so they don't interact with my items on the Asus router, and don't encumber my DHCP pool. Also, on Merlin's firmware, you can set up to 128 fixed adresses (64 on stock firmware), so I'm under the limit by far...

Just to see if it helps save your current configuration and settings so you can always revert, then rework your static IPs to minimize device's names, descriptions and don't use custom icons. Just to check if you have a memory issue.

I assume that you have taken all basic steps recommended to solve WiFi problems including selecting a fixed channel and turning off beam forming. Also where possible connect as many devices as possible using Ethernet connections.

If this doesn't help then you can always reload your saved configuration.

If nothing helps consider adding Ethernet connected APs to spread the WiFi radio load over multiple radios. Use a different channel for the router and the AP. Then instruct each device to connect to either the router or the AP and divide the load. The router should not have issues even with more clients than you have, it is the radios that probably are the limiting factor.

Hi !

In the beginning, there were no custom names nor images, but the issue was the same (I named them to see easily which one lost connection) . Plus, I can see the RAM and CPU usage in the router configuration's local Web page, and none is overloaded.

I changed the channel, of course, and made so many tests I can't even describe nor remember (2 months I'm working on it :'( ). Didn't see this beam forming option though (I just checked and found this option right now, after seeing your message). You seem to think that's a question of wifi signal quality, or interferences, but I really don't think, because these would cause an unstable result, not a clear precise limite once I reach 48 wifi connected items (32 on my previous router). Just to be precise, even if I have much items, my house is tiny, the wifi coverage is excellent. The repeater is only needed for 1 item that is a little bit far from the router.

Another AP is a sokution, but a limited one since these items need to be in the same local network to work fine. I just did it this afternoon, before I saw your answers : I reset my POI's router to have another wifi and local network (an AP thus), an I connected to this netork the items that didn't need to be on the "domotic" network (the Asus's one). So now everything works fine, but I only have 4 "slots" available on my Asus router before reaching 48, so I will lack space sooner or later...

Honestly, I'm really tired of working on this on my few spare time, I've really searched much, both by myself and on Internet (I was a total newbie in network before these problem, now, I don't know that much, still I know a bit... So it wasn't a waste of time^^), so I wanna know something : Did anyone managed to connect more than 48 wifi item active at the same time (knowing that some domotic items aren't always active, as the movement IR dectectors) ? Also, if someone has an idea about why it seems that the limits are 8's multiples (32 on POI's router, 48 on AC88U), please tell me !

Anyway, thanks for trying to help yk101 and CaptainSTX, much appreciated. When I exceed the limit again, I'll try to play with these beam forming options (there's 2 of them in the Merlin's firmware). And if I find the solution, I'll come back to share. Hope I don't seem rude in my answers, but as my english has its limits, being diplomatic on form is a bit hard :)

Another AP is a sokution, but a limited one since these items need to be in the same local network to work fine. I
When you set up an AP it is on the same subnet and the router it is connected to handles DHCP and all the routing functions. There is an excellent tutorial on this site about how to re purpose a router into an AP. Even if it is an old router with N only radios that is more than enough for IoT devices. In fact for IoT devices and old router with just an G 2.4 GHz radio is more than enough. Simple process so if you have an old router try it. The question of if you should use the same SSID on the router and the AP is NO IMHO. You need a different SSID so you force devices to use one or the other without having the ability to shift back and fourth. If you get creative you could have it both ways.

Push your IoT devices to the AP where possible and use the higher link speed new router for devices that need the bandwidth.

Take the proviso router and make it an acess point, same SSID , different channel, and half the smart device can move over onto the other wifi.

Hi ! As CaptainSTX says, I prefer different SSIDs, so I can choose myself which device connects to which AP, but it the same ideo, dispatching items to avoid overload.

Take the proviso router and make it an acess point, same SSID , different channel, and half the smart device can move over onto the other wifi.
When you set up an AP it is on the same subnet and the router it is connected to handles DHCP and all the routing functions. There is an excellent tutorial on this site about how to re purpose a router into an AP. Even if it is an old router with N only radios that is more than enough for IoT devices. In fact for IoT devices and old router with just an G 2.4 GHz radio is more than enough. Simple process so if you have an old router try it. The question of if you should use the same SSID on the router and the AP is NO IMHO. You need a different SSID so you force devices to use one or the other without having the ability to shift back and fourth. If you get creative you could have it both ways.

Push your IoT devices to the AP where possible and use the higher link speed new router for devices that need the bandwidth.

It seems to be the way my repeater works, all items have the same subnet mask, even if they are connected to different SSIDs. But when I look on my main router (AC88U), the item (there's just 1 item on my repeater) is listed as if it was directly connected on the Asus router, et count as one on my router's limit. It makes sense, because if it didn't show in the router's list, it may create an IP conflict when 2 devices use the same IP. Nevermind, averything works for now since I connected so devices on my POI's router. I would have prefered to use only the Asus router, activating DMZ on my POI's router, but as it's working, I won't touch it for know, I'll see later, if I buy more domotics... Yet, I'm still questionning about that 32 or 48 limit, which seems to be a logical limit. If it is, there should be a way to change this limit. Which would probably mean that a few after this limit, it may become unstable, but I'd like to test this, and not being forced to some sort of security limit to avoid potential instabilities.

Repeaters are a bad solution unless you have no other option. In the case of the OP it would make their situation worse. In the worst case they effectively reduce your bandwidth by half. With a wired AP no negative impact only upside.

Hi !

As I'm addicted to home automation, I have a lot of wifi connected items at home.
I changed my original router (my Internet provider's one) because it couldn't handle more thant 32 wifi clients at the same time. I took an Asus AC88U, and I was happy to discover (as I couldn't find any information about this limit) that he could handle more than 32.
But since, I bought some more wifi connected devices, and I realize that its limit is 48. 32, 48, both 8's multiples. So it seems like a logical limit, not a physical one. I read somewhere that it could be a lack of computing power, but both CPU's and RAM are mainly free on the router... Ethernet connected items do not count (I have 51-52 devices connnected if I count both Ethernet and Wifi)
When I reboot, the items first used connect before some items that are not currently used, and the problem reappears later, once all the items have requested a connection. Then, there's a turnover, as soon as one item doesn't need connection, a pending one takes its place.
I found someone who had a mesh setup, and the limit seems to be the same, having more routers doesn't permit to have more wifi item connected at the same time.
I'm on Merlin's firmware on my router, but I couldn't find any option to rise up the wifi connection's limit. As it seems to be a logical limit, I think it's would be possible overcome it.
I'm really dissapointed, as I'm surprised that nowadays, with the explosion of connected item, such limit exists, and above all, there's absolutly no informations given by manufacturers about it, even if you search for it... You can only buy, then discover by yourself, after hours (days) of resetup. I'm also surprised that it seems almost no one discusses about it, am I the only one that have so much domotics wifi items at home ?
If anyone has a solution, help would be appreciated ! And if I find one, I'll share it here. Sorry if my english isn't perfect, especially when it come to technical terms...

PS :
I already chose a clean channel (plus, there's not much houses around me, all channel are relatively clear). These items need 2.4Ghz wifi, but if it was an interference problem, it would occur randomly, not on precise 8's multiple limits such as 32 or 48.

Is there an Asus router that would have a "professionnal" limit ? Resetting all my network took me so much time (all items have their fxed IP, description -even custom picture- etc, plus, all the connected items need to be reset if network changes, loosing also ll automations and routines... If I could have an Asus's router that works fine, I may export my current settings !

Is there a place where I can suggest/vote for options to be added in Merlin's custom version ?

Many thanks !
I'm having the same issue across my ASUS mesh. Were you seeing the max 48 across all WiFi SSID's combined or on each band/SSID? I was thinking of utilizing the other Guestnetwork SSID's to help add more capacity for my IOT devices