What's new

Anything other than RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john385

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone!

I was a happy ASUS RT-AX86U owner until it got murdered by ASUS this spring in that infamous botched firmware update.

Since then I had the TP-Link AX50 - a decent, cheap-ish router that served my network (somewhat) OK.
But…and here’s the thing. I just upgraded from 200/20 Mbps to 1000/100 Mbps DOCSIS 3.1
Tested the WAN link speed on the ISPs modem itself - all good; speed is ~990ish down and 100 up.
However, the poor AX50 Is buckling under this speed. Max speed I get is ~530-550 Mbps.
Oh well…

question is simple; is AX86U still a good (ie. recommended) buy, should I wait for the Pro variant (any new rumors on that?) or is there something else you can recommend close/similar to AX86U? Or even better for the price (~€200-250).

thanks.

RT-AX86U is still a great router. The GT-AX6000 is better (and equal price or cheaper when on sale).

The Pro variant doesn't seem to offer anything over the proven original. I certainly would approach it cautiously (and be ready to return it at the first sign of any glitch).

Hi everyone!

I was a happy ASUS RT-AX86U owner until it got murdered by ASUS this spring in that infamous botched firmware update.

Since then I had the TP-Link AX50 - a decent, cheap-ish router that served my network (somewhat) OK.
But…and here’s the thing. I just upgraded from 200/20 Mbps to 1000/100 Mbps DOCSIS 3.1
Tested the WAN link speed on the ISPs modem itself - all good; speed is ~990ish down and 100 up.
However, the poor AX50 Is buckling under this speed. Max speed I get is ~530-550 Mbps.
Oh well…

question is simple; is AX86U still a good (ie. recommended) buy, should I wait for the Pro variant (any new rumors on that?) or is there something else you can recommend close/similar to AX86U? Or even better for the price (~€200-250).

thanks.
If the firmware upgrade bricked the router Asus should have replaced it.

If the firmware upgrade bricked the router Asus should have replaced

offtopic but I got a full refund since the store I bought it from couldn’t get me a new one.
Oh well…
Anyway, I’ll have a look at GT-AX6000,
Looks like it’s almost €100 off @ Amazon.de.
Hmmmm….