What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U buying advice please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meri Gould

New Around Here
Hi, I am looking for a new router and came across this review. I am trying to get a used one for a decent price (around $85 if possible). I really enjoyed reading this review as I'm not too caught up on what to look for in a proper router. It seems that according to the review that it's a solid piece of tech except that the software is/was shotty. Since this review has been written has there been any improvements in the AC87 firmware or is there custom firmware currently available that I could flash to if I do get one?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I am looking for a new router and came across this review. I am trying to get a used one for a decent price (around $85 if possible). I really enjoyed reading this review as I'm not too caught up on what to look for in a proper router. It seems that according to the review that it's a solid piece of tech except that the software is/was shotty. Since this review has been written has there been any improvements in the AC87 firmware or is there custom firmware currently available that I could flash to if I do get one?

Thanks for any help.
Flash it with Merlin's latest and you won't be sorry. It is a good router.

The RT-AC87U is hit-or-miss, depending on your specific environment. The only problem I ever had while I was using it was the 5 GHz on my Nexus 4 didn't work reliably - easily solved by keeping my phone on the 2.4 GHz band. Laptops and other wireless devices worked fine for me. But others have had more compatibility issues.

It's hard to tell until you test it in your specific environment.

I have the same problem.I have 3 mobile+tablet , 2 laptop at 5ghz ,xbox one and Amazon fire tv wired. ISPs Virgin uk 100mbit fibre. Can this router handle this system??

Can this router set to have 2 vpn client and ISPc connect at the same time?
I meant like
1 purevpn to US server for Amazon fire only
1 Purevpn to Italy server for one laptop
1 standard broadband for the other device

The RT-AC87U is hit-or-miss, depending on your specific environment.

I would agree - tends to be either a good deal or a furious ball of hate...

Depends on conditions and use cases...

(FWIW - Quantenna isn't bad, it's just the implementation that has challenges in some devices)