What's new

Asus rt-n66u vs rt-ac66u vs Netgear Nighthawk R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ackeron

New Around Here
Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a new router, but prices in Canada are really making my decision difficult.

Right now the n66u is $145, the ac66u is $180 and the R7000 is also $180. If the n66u was cheaper I would get it right away, but given the $35 price difference I wonder if I should get the ac66u or the R7000?

I don't have any AC capable devices at the moment, and I am aware the ac66u and the R7000 both still use the draft AC protocol.

I'm also aware that I would have to put DD-WRT on the R7000 to make it worth keeping. I'd probably run some form of RMerlin firmware on the Asus anyway.

I currently have a DIR-655 that drops its connection nightly, but it is still limping along, allowing me some time to wait if needed.

I guess it comes down to the stability of the older n66u or ac66u routers (but also older hardware), vs the newer hardware but poor Netgear firmware. Also a 2 year vs 1 year warranty in Asus' favor.

Any help or advice would be great, thank you!

Amazon sells a mfgr refurbished Netgear R6300 v1 for around $90, the price fluctuates almost daily. Put DD-WRT from myopenrouter.com on it and you will have a superior router for a little money. I did this and installed the Kong version. It's been rock solid. Try it with the stock firmware first. Why make things complicated on yourself? It may be absolutely perfect for your needs. I wanted a few advanced features ... this is why I went to DD-WRT.

Right now the n66u is $145, the ac66u is $180 and the R7000 is also $180. If the n66u was cheaper I would get it right away, but given the $35 price difference I wonder if I should get the ac66u or the R7000?

I don't have any AC capable devices at the moment, and I am aware the ac66u and the R7000 both still use the draft AC protocol.

I'm also aware that I would have to put DD-WRT on the R7000 to make it worth keeping. I'd probably run some form of RMerlin firmware on the Asus anyway.

I guess it comes down to the stability of the older n66u or ac66u routers (but also older hardware), vs the newer hardware but poor Netgear firmware. Also a 2 year vs 1 year warranty in Asus' favor.

Any help or advice would be great, thank you!

If I was looking at those prices, I'd get the Netgear R7000, and put dd-wrt on it for the moment. Maybe tomato later, if you'd prefer that. The R7000 is not a draft wireless-AC router. The wireless-AC draft was approved in Jan. 2014 (I think), so while it was developed and released while wireless-AC was in draft form, the current firmware releases have been after that. You'll find it compliant with the wireless-AC standard, works well with the wireless-AC adapter that I have here *smile*.

You can read the reviews of the routers on this web site, and compare them that way as well.

Anyways, that's my recommendation *smile*.

If I was looking at those prices, I'd get the Netgear R7000, and put dd-wrt on it for the moment. Maybe tomato later, if you'd prefer that. The R7000 is not a draft wireless-AC router. The wireless-AC draft was approved in Jan. 2014 (I think), so while it was developed and released while wireless-AC was in draft form, the current firmware releases have been after that. You'll find it compliant with the wireless-AC standard, works well with the wireless-AC adapter that I have here *smile*.

You can read the reviews of the routers on this web site, and compare them that way as well.

Anyways, that's my recommendation *smile*.

Thanks Roger! I appreciate the feedback. I didn't know the R7000 was non-draft AC, so that's good to hear (I hadn't seen it mentioned in any reviews or if it was I missed it). You are correct that the AC protocol was finalized Jan 2014.

I've read so many router reviews this week my head is starting to spin! But as you said for the prices I'm looking at, the R7000 is the best deal. I guess I'm hesitant to buy it after reading all the unhappy user reviews on Amazon/Newegg, but everyone who uses DD-WRT seems pretty satisfied. And it doesn't look too hard to flash/setup!

Do you think the 1 vs 2 year warranty matters compared to the Asus? I don't have any experience with Netgear's hardware so I'm not sure how long-lasting it is.

Do you think the 1 vs 2 year warranty matters compared to the Asus? I don't have any experience with Netgear's hardware so I'm not sure how long-lasting it is.

My experience with electonic gear is that if it comes from a quality manufacturer like Asus or Netgear, and makes through the first few months, then those products tend to last for quite a while, at least 2 years. After a certain point, it becomes moot anyways, because you're most likely ready to jump onto the next tech wave *smile*. Of course, that point varies by the individual.

I've had my R7000 for about 9 months now, and have put it through wireless router hell. Lots of resets and firmware flashes, and it's going strong. Feels like a very solid product. So is my Asus RT-N66U, about 2.5 years old now and still doing really well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I waited a few more days and scoured more Canadian retailers, but couldn't find the RT-N66U at a price I wanted to pay, so I opted for the R7000. Going to load DD-WRT right away and enjoy it :)

I've tried R7000 for a day, and returned it to staples, after that i got Linksys WRT1900AC and returned it to Bestbuy.

Before that i had RT-N66U that i gave my parents, as they needed new router.
I was not happy with any of 2 listed above. Not worth $ for my needs.

RT-AC66U was on sale @ Canadacomputers, for $169 , i priced match it @ Staples (just in case i don't like it - easier return then CC) , so i got it.

I have it for couple of days now, it performs same as RT-N66U + AC Cappable for almost the same price.

I think, maybe in about a year or so, R7000 (R8000) , Linksys, etc, all this "NEW" fancy TONS of options will performs as they should , but, at this time? i don't think so.
Linksys ... $314 router (with tax) isss mission so much (features, etc) its just funny.

I am going to stick with Asus and only routers that Merlin \ shibby \ Victek support. (DD-WRT is not what i really like) so, gotta stick to this.

Good luck with your router man!

What features do you require that the WRT1900AC doesn't support? OpenVPN?

I used to be a netgear router fan until I started realizing that all their firmware sucks no matter what router u get by them, compared to asus or cisco.

I went out and bought the r7000 nighthawk router before investing in the rt-n66u. I returned it because the firmware was absolutely horrible. I guess because it had just came out not too long before I went to buy it. I think it was like the 3rd firmware release or something like that I had updated to right after I got it.

My experience was nothing but bad. also, the r7000 got super hot and made a loud, obnoxious, high pitched ringing sound constantly.

I highly recommend any asus router over netgear routers IN GENERAL!

If u decide to get an asus router, upload merlin firmware and you'll be good to go!