What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dodgydrains

Regular Contributor
ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525
Version 3.0.0.4.388.2252547.71 MB
2023/02/14
This version of firmware is only applicable to ZenWIFI XT8 of HW ver: 1.0, please check the product label before utilizing. You can check the hardware version from the product SN label or box label.

1.Fixed CVE-2022-46871
2.Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS.
3.Improved AiMesh backhaul stability.
4.Fixed AiMesh topology UI bugs.
5.Fixed the reboot issue when assigning specific clients in VPN fusion.
6.Fixed the VPN fusion bug when importing the Surfshark WireGuard conf file.
7.Fixed network map bugs.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 15fe09ba64aa0463f9ccc2b88a55f690

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525
Version 3.0.0.4.388.2252548.13 MB
2023/02/14
TThis version of firmware is only applicable to ZenWIFI XT8 of HW Ver: 2.0, please check the product label before utilizing. You can check the hardware version from the product SN label or box label.

1.Fixed CVE-2022-46871
2.Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS.
4.Fixed AiMesh topology UI bugs.
5.Fixed the reboot issue when assigning specific clients in VPN fusion.
6.Fixed the VPN fusion bug when importing the Surfshark WireGuard conf file.
7.Fixed network map bugs.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 0fbfa862e3f8e41c2a671271c3dc38e2

Last edited:
Just updated my two XT8. For me the first 388 release with fast and bug free AiMesh UI ever. After first assessment everything works well, I hope for long term stability.

First time post from a forum lurker here. I've been liaising with Asus support for a few weeks due to the wireless backhaul of my 2x XT8 mesh dropping to 2.4GHz every day or two and not reverting back to the dedicated 5GHz-2 radio.

They first had me try an (unpublished?) beta firmware 9.0.0.4_388_22473, but it only lasted 14 hours before the backhaul dropped to 2.4. This morning they advised I upgrade to this latest 3.0.0.4.388.22525 firmware, released "to improve AiMesh stability".

I did a factory reset, updated both units, did another factory reset and manually added some minimal config (i.e. didn't restore from a settings file). Wireless settings are all as default, except SSID and password. Channels and bandwidths are all set to auto and 160MHz on the 5GHz-2 channel was checked by default, so I left that enabled too. I only finished setting it up 30 minutes ago, but we'll wait and see whether it's any more stable.

One of the main issues with the previous 388 branch firmware for me was 160MHz on the backhaul with multiple nodes.

Hopefully this fixes the issues:

First time post from a forum lurker here. I've been liaising with Asus support for a few weeks due to the wireless backhaul of my 2x XT8 mesh dropping to 2.4GHz every day or two and not reverting back to the dedicated 5GHz-2 radio.

They first had me try an (unpublished?) beta firmware 9.0.0.4_388_22473, but it only lasted 14 hours before the backhaul dropped to 2.4. This morning they advised I upgrade to this latest 3.0.0.4.388.22525 firmware, released "to improve AiMesh stability".

I did a factory reset, updated both units, did another factory reset and manually added some minimal config (i.e. didn't restore from a settings file). Wireless settings are all as default, except SSID and password. Channels and bandwidths are all set to auto and 160MHz on the 5GHz-2 channel was checked by default, so I left that enabled too. I only finished setting it up 30 minutes ago, but we'll wait and see whether it's any more stable.

Are you able to check your backhaul PHY rate in the router UI?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-14 175708.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 175708.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 342
Are you able to check your backhaul PHY rate in the router UI?

PHY rate
Transmit Rate 1080.9 Mbps
Receive Rate 960.7 Mbps

It's currently connected with 80 MHz on the backhaul. The first couple of times the system booted up and after the 10 minutes of solid green LED on the router (this seems new with this firmware version - I assume DFS scanning?), it upped to 160 MHz and stayed there. This time though, it remained on 80 MHz and I've just left it there.

PHY rate
Transmit Rate 1080.9 Mbps
Receive Rate 960.7 Mbps

It's currently connected with 80 MHz on the backhaul. The first couple of times the system booted up and after the 10 minutes of solid green LED on the router (this seems new with this firmware version - I assume DFS scanning?), it upped to 160 MHz and stayed there. This time though, it remained on 80 MHz and I've just left it there.

Thanks for checking.

I have experienced similar. Backhaul was Ch 100 at 80 MHz. I will force 160 MHz backhaul and will see what happens.

I experienced the same issue with my ASUS RT-AX86U router.

Issue resolved by downgrading from latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 to the previous one 3.0.0.4.388.22068

I upgraded to this last night and so far so good.

I came from the previous version which after a factory reset was stable and fast for me. I was at about 45 days of uptime without any issues. Thats probably the longest i have ever gone without tinkering anything on the XT8s. I probably shouldnt have upgraded based on previous experiences, but just couldnt help myself.

I have an app for solar/battery management which has always been a bit flakey. But since doing this upgrade it seems to work more consistently. (This could just be a fluke or coincidence)

Anyway fingers crossed it continues to work.

Could someone who has gone to this firmware enable Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters and see if it is stable? I noticed on my setup when I enable this my router node crashes multiple times per day

well worst case scenario, the XT8 makes an excellent bridge as I've discovered! In good conscience I can't sell or give my XT8s away. It's really an odd feeling not having to tinker with the XT8s as I've dumped them for the synology as my APs. Been doing it for so long I don't know what to tinker with anymore.

How do you like the synology?

I've been running this new firmware since yesterday. So far, with my two units hard wired, it seems solid. I was testing an ooma voip system and the call quality became much better as well. The one downside is that I can no longer fax (I know, my wife is a lawyer and sometimes faxes!). Something is fargled up with the fax line quality, even though voice now sounds much better. Odd.

How do you like the synology?

I'm running 2x RT6600ax in AP mode and mesh and have had no issues so far so I'm quite pleased with them.. but then again my needs and environment aren't very demanding and AP mode generally has less bugs (for the XT8 as well). The synology also has a fraction of the configuration options that asus routers have... I'll see whether that's a good or bad thing..time will tell.

Last edited:
Aimesh topology UI doesn't load properly....everytime I have to Ctrl f5 to get the page load properly. Else it shows all plain text without any images

I tried the upgrade to 3.0.0.4.388.22525 but the 5GHz backhaul was no better with it falling back to PowerLine Ethernet for backhaul. My Chromecast devices stopped working andI have downgraded back to the previous version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

I tried the upgrade to 3.0.0.4.388.22525 but the 5GHz backhaul was no better with it falling back to PowerLine Ethernet for backhaul. My Chromecast devices stopped working andI have downgraded back to the previous version 3.0.0.4.388.22068
That's surprising - I thought this version was turning out to be the most stable of the recent ones. Did you factory reset after the update and if it so did you restore settings manually or from a file?

Perhaps an obvious question, but is your node configured to prioritise the wireless backhaul instead of "auto"?

Mine has been solid for 4 days now, breaking any previous record. I've just started adding further configuration, bit by bit, starting with a guest WiFi network. If it remains solid after a few days, I'll add further configuration until it's setup how I want.

Perhaps an obvious question, but is your node configured to prioritise the wireless backhaul instead of "auto"?
Not obvious for me. :) How do I prioritize the wireless backhaul ? Under Advanced Settings/Wireless/General Tab/Wireless Mode ?
Thanks !

Not obvious for me. :) How do I prioritize the wireless backhaul ? Under Advanced Settings/Wireless/General Tab/Wireless Mode ?
Thanks !

Look for node Backhaul Connection Priority under AiMesh\node\Management.

Ideally, disable Ethernet Backhaul Mode under AiMesh\System Settings to disable ALL wireless backhauls for better performance (and no failover to wireless backhaul).

OE

Thanks !
If you have the mobile app, it's Devices -> AiMesh -> Select your node -> Management/Backhaul Connection Priority.
From the web app, it's AiMesh -> Click the node -> Management -> Backhaul Connection Priority

Mine has been solid for 4 days now, breaking any previous record. I've just started adding further configuration, bit by bit, starting with a guest WiFi network. If it remains solid after a few days, I'll add further configuration until it's setup how I want.
I think I jinxed myself: my node has just dropped its 5GHz-2 backhaul and gone to 2.4GHz. Hrmph. The logs say:

Code:
Feb 18 16:16:48 wpa_supplicant[10165]: eth6: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=ROUTER_5GHZ_2_BACKHAUL_MAC reason=4
Feb 18 16:16:50 BHC: WiFi connection status change.
Feb 18 16:16:50 BHC: bandindex(0): state is 2
Feb 18 16:16:50 BHC: bandindex(1): state is 0
Feb 18 16:16:50 BHC: bandindex(2): state is 0
Feb 18 16:16:50 BHC: Topology change from 8 to 2.
Feb 18 16:18:58 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ sta_autoconnect 0
Feb 18 16:19:00 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ disconnect
Feb 18 16:19:00 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ sta_autoconnect 1
Feb 18 16:19:00 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ reconnect
Feb 18 16:20:14 wpa_supplicant[10125]: eth4: WPA: Group rekeying completed with ROUTER_2.4GHZ_FRONTHAUL_MAC [GTK=CCMP]
Feb 18 16:22:03 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ sta_autoconnect 0
Feb 18 16:22:05 PtyConn: [SUCCESS] wpa_cli-2.7 -p /var/run/wl2_wpa_supplicant/ disconnect

I suppose I better take that guest network back out and see if it stays stable. It's got to be either this, or the backhaul selected 160MHz after I added the guest network this morning, which is beyond the 80MHz it's been stable on for the past 4 days.

Last edited:
This release has been the first stable firmware for me in the 388 family. Came from 386.49873 and this firmware has been so far so good. Hope it stays that way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!