What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant get any Aimesh nodes to connect through a managed OR unmanaged switch, pluged in a Netgear GS305 unmanaged and nothing, gggggrrrrrrrr any ideas?

Try current released firmware.

OE

I am on R5

RC2-5 is not released firmware... it is Release Candidate beta firmware. Try released firmware to see if your issue persists.

OE

I should also add that if I plug two nodes via Ethernet into the unmanaged switch BOTH disconnect, plug one in and it works..... crazy. Anyone having this issue?

RC2-5 is not released firmware... it is Release Candidate beta firmware. Try released firmware to see if your issue persists.

OE

Right hence why I am here in the beta forum!
The official firmware works but does not have AiMesh 2.0 and that’s what I want. R5 works fine for me for all nodes connected to the router (wired) but not if they are behind any kind is switch, managed or not.

Right hence why I am here in the beta forum!
The official firmware works but does not have AiMesh 2.0 and that’s what I want. R5 works fine for me for all nodes connected to the router (wired) but not if they are behind any kind is switch, managed or not.

Got it. You asked for ideas. Now that we know it worked before with your equipment and released firmware, and that you have fiddled with the backhaul controls in AiMesh 2.0, we can consider it a duly reported bug.

OE

Until recently I used TP-Link managed switches and whilst they did work with ethernet backhaul between two XT8's and an AX11000 I did find them a bit sketchy in general. I upgraded to Ubiquiti switches a few days ago and everything is so much better now.

RC2-5 - minor bugs: auto logout from admin web does not always work, last noticed in the AImesh menu. There's also a typo in popup help about backhaul, refers to using WAN backhaul should be WLAN?

RC2-5 - minor bugs: auto logout from admin web does not always work, last noticed in the AImesh menu.

Specify which pages that was, because some pages do deliberately disable auto-logoff (as they are monitoring pages you might actually want to keep open for an extended period of time).

If you configure your laptop to connect to multiple WLANs automatically, it likely will, if they are all in range. Consider setting some to manual connection only.

I suggest you flash the firmware to the current release (no beta firmware), reset all routers, configure the router/root node from scratch, and add the remote node. My install notes may offer some tips.

I recommend different SSIDs for each band and fixed channels (not Auto).

Assemble your network one piece at a time, allowing ample time to use and confirm that each piece is working as it should before adding to it. This way, you will have a better chance of discovering the source of any trouble.

Use a wired laptop to speed test ISP equipment, then your router/root node, then your remote node. Observe the laptop connection status link rate speed while performing browser speed tests. The laptop connection link rate speed should remain steady... it likely will for wired tests, but might falter during wireless tests to indicate a troubled WiFi connection.

OE

Thank you for the tipps. i tried to follow and made some settings.
my routers a a complete fresh install.

all of the fancyfeatures are disabled (gameboost...)
still no stable wlan. I scanned the wlan area and choose an free channel.

i only want a stable wlan. i do this because of the guest wlan.

is it possible to have a guestlan port ? so i could install an different router just for quests. ?

and i stop using mesh and make another accespoint. because this setup had the best stable wifi. even if i took the same ssid names fpr mainrouter and accespoint.

maybe i have to switch the routers, is there a router with stable firmware and ai mesh , with guestwlan mesh ?

is it possible to have a guestlan port ? so i could install an different router just for quests. ?

I don't have any experience doing this. Sorry.

maybe i have to switch the routers, is there a router with stable firmware and ai mesh , with guestwlan mesh ?

The RT-AC86U works for me.

OE

Specify which pages that was, because some pages do deliberately disable auto-logoff (as they are monitoring pages you might actually want to keep open for an extended period of time).
http://router.asus.com/AiMesh.asp does not auto logout, OR main page - I just need to remember, I do admin from my phone and my laptop.

edit: main admin page does not auto logout either

Last edited:
Mariva,
Like OzarkEdge, Guest WiFi works for me too.
After reading your post about 12 hours ago, I set up Guest WiFi (Sync all AiMesh Nodes) and confirm that it is working and they are isolated from the rest of the network. My AiMesh Configuration in my signature below.

There are too many dependencies, Routers, Clients, environment, Country, etc. For my case:
  • I generally I leave the various FW NVRAM items in my router at their default value after factory reset.
  • My Mobile devices, ie. those that actually move around at home are all Apple's iPhones, iPads. I have other WiFi devices but are stationary.
  • I use WiFi Explorer on Mac, to monitor the signal strength, bandwidth across the Wifi Spectrum.
Hope you find a solution.

Hi Channer (ASUSWRT_2020) and Others,

I have a question on “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” under Wireless -> General settings

Background:
  • In Post #1, you stated that one of the new feature in 386 - RC2 firmware is the Support for 802.11k/v
  • However, I noticed that “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” is Disabled by default after factory reset, together with it “Protected Management Frames” is also Disabled
Question for Asus:
  • Why is “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” disabled by default, If this is a new feature in 386 firmware? Is there some reasons for that?
Observation:
  • Since 386 RC2-5 was available on 11 Sep 2020, I have been running with the default “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” and “Protected Management Frames” both Disabled. I observed that Roaming across my AiMesh Router/Nodes and Steering across Bands are working properly in my environment. (I use Network Analyzer on iOS and see BSSID of AiMesh Router/Nodes switching fairly seamlessly).
  • Few days back while searching for definition of “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” I found that it is the IEEE 802.11k standard. So as part of the testing I set “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” as Enabled and “Protected Management Frames” as Capable. I observed that Roaming across my AiMesh Router/Nodes and Steering across Bands are are working properly in my environment.
Question for others:
  • For those that played with “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” settings, what were your experience? Any recommendations?

Question for others:
  • For those that played with “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” settings, what were your experience? Any recommendations?

No “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” under Wireless -> General settings on AC86U.

OE

Update 2020/10/06 386 rc2-6 (9.0.0.4_386_40322)

This version includes GT-AX11000, RT-AX92U, RT-AX88U, GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, RT-AC86U, and RT-AC68U

Because of the SDK integration issue, this version does not include ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U

Change logs:

- Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode.
- Fixed slow web UI problem.
- Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
- Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
- Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.

New Family interface in ASUS router App.
router firmware greater or equal to 9.0.0.4_386_40322
ASUS Router App greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

IMG_2279.PNG

Update 2020/10/06 386 rc2-6 (9.0.0.4_386_40322)

This version includes GT-AX11000, RT-AX92U, RT-AX88U, GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, RT-AC86U, and RT-AC68U

Because of the SDK integration issue, this version does not include ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U

Change logs:

- Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode.
- Fixed slow web UI problem.
- Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
- Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
- Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.

New Family interface in ASUS router App.
router firmware greater or equal to 9.0.0.4_386_40322
ASUS Router App greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

IMG_2279.PNG
Channer,
Thanks for the new release :)

Reporting on my RC2-6 Firmware Update exercise in my environment and my devices

My Configuration:

ISP: 1Gbps Fibre to Huawei ONT ->
  • AiMesh Router: RT-AX88U (Year 2019) FW: 9.0.0.4_386_40322
  • AiMesh Nodes (x2): RT-AC86U (Year 2020) FW: 9.0.0.4_386_40322
  • Cat 7 Cables connecting
    • AiMesh Router -> Linksys LGS108 Gigabit Switch -> both AiMesh Nodes
Exercise (1): Dirty Flash RC2-6: 9.0.0.4_386_40322 over RC2-5: 9.0.0.4_386_40018
  • Flash both AiMesh Nodes first from GUI
  • Flash AiMesh Router from GUI
  • Everything working as it has been
Observation on Fixes:
  • Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode
    • OK: I turned on ethernet backhaul mode for the first time just to test this fix
  • Fixed slow web UI problem.
    • OK: Looks visually OK for me
  • Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
    • NOT OK**(just updated my observation): I observed the following IP ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT arrangement:
      • If MAC Address on iPhone is found in the DHCP list, The UI shows my device IP as 192.168.50.111; But, when I run Network Analyzer on my iPhone the assigned IP address is actually 192.168.102.88)
      • If MAC address on iPhone (turn ON Private Address in iOS 14.0.1) therefore, not in the DHCP list, it assigns IP address in a different subnet (eg. 192.168.102.88)
    • OK: Guest WiFi devices are ISOLATED correctly whether the IP address is in the same subnet of the Home Network or a different WiFi guest subnet.
  • Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
    • OK: Not sure what I can do to test … all working for now
  • Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.
    • OK: Not sure what I can do to test … all working for now
PS:
I will let this run for about half a day before I do my Exercise (2) tonight: Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router.
** (Updated observation on Guest WiFi, 4 hours after my original post) - see my other post on this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...unctions-aimesh-2-0.65235/page-35#post-618044

Last edited:
Hi Channer (ASUSWRT_2020) and Others,

I have a question on “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” under Wireless -> General settings

Background:
  • In Post #1, you stated that one of the new feature in 386 - RC2 firmware is the Support for 802.11k/v
  • However, I noticed that “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” is Disabled by default after factory reset, together with it “Protected Management Frames” is also Disabled
Question for Asus:
  • Why is “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” disabled by default, If this is a new feature in 386 firmware? Is there some reasons for that?
Observation:
  • Since 386 RC2-5 was available on 11 Sep 2020, I have been running with the default “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” and “Protected Management Frames” both Disabled. I observed that Roaming across my AiMesh Router/Nodes and Steering across Bands are working properly in my environment. (I use Network Analyzer on iOS and see BSSID of AiMesh Router/Nodes switching fairly seamlessly).
  • Few days back while searching for definition of “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” I found that it is the IEEE 802.11k standard. So as part of the testing I set “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” as Enabled and “Protected Management Frames” as Capable. I observed that Roaming across my AiMesh Router/Nodes and Steering across Bands are are working properly in my environment.
Question for others:

The reason is the Protected Management Frames(PMF).
Many old and IOT clients do not support PMF capable. We enabled the PMF by default once and received lots of compliant, so disable it to get the maximum compatibility.
Refer to the Wi-Fi Agile Multiband spec. Enables Protected Management Frames (PMF) whenever WPA2 is enabled. An MBO AP with WPA2 enabled shall require PMF to be negotiated for use in the association when an MBO STA associates with it.
Because PMF compatibility concern, we disabled PMF by default and also need to disable Wi-Fi Agile Multiband.

In our experiment, the mobile phones not only support standard 802.11 k/v, but also have its proprietary roaming algorithm to select/switch the AP by itself
Sometimes its switch speed faster than the router/ap algorithm.
That's why some people feel that the roaming becomes better after disabled roaming assistance.

Our recommendation depends on the environment.
If there are many old devices, refer to this FAQ https://www.asus.com/in/support/FAQ/1042475/ to disable the latest feature for 2.4GHz.
If all clients support the new wifi standard, the latest feature can be enabled.

No “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” under Wireless -> General settings on AC86U.

OE
Sorry OzarkEdge,
Looks like it is a feature for AX models, I think(?) ... Think about it you have helped me answer my question, where I was wondering why there was no impact for me in my earlier post (when “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband” Enable or Disable); it could be because I have AC86U as both my 2 x AiMesh Nodes.

The reason is the Protected Management Frames(PMF).
Many old and IOT clients do not support PMF capable. We enabled the PMF by default once and received lots of compliant, so disable it to get the maximum compatibility.
Refer to the Wi-Fi Agile Multiband spec. Enables Protected Management Frames (PMF) whenever WPA2 is enabled. An MBO AP with WPA2 enabled shall require PMF to be negotiated for use in the association when an MBO STA associates with it.
Because PMF compatibility concern, we disabled PMF by default and also need to disable Wi-Fi Agile Multiband.

In our experiment, the mobile phones not only support standard 802.11 k/v, but also have its proprietary roaming algorithm to select/switch the AP by itself
Sometimes its switch speed faster than the router/ap algorithm.
That's why some people feel that the roaming becomes better after disabled roaming assistance.

Our recommendation depends on the environment.
If there are many old devices, refer to this FAQ https://www.asus.com/in/support/FAQ/1042475/ to disable the latest feature for 2.4GHz.
If all clients support the new wifi standard, the latest feature can be enabled.
Channer,
Thank you for the explanation. I will leave “Wi-Fi Agile Multiband: Disable” and "Protected Management Frames: Disable" in its Firm Ware default values. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!