What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this constant work from home period it is crucial to have a working router. I will hold off upgrade until Merlin releases full version. Then i will remove flash, do a factory reset, upgrade to 386, do another factory reset, configure router and put flash back in.

I have a small issue that appears Asus has already noticed and done some updates in the latest beta. My kids noticed some issues with the time scheduling that it continued to block around the time that I did not specify, so perhaps that'll be something included in beta 2. Just a heads up to anyone that time scheduling might have issues.

anyone having issue with this beta built with dnsmasq.postconf?

I have been using dnsmasq.postconf to replace my ipv6 DNS entry for longest time. But since upgrading to 386.1 Beta it doesn't seem to work anymore

admin@RT-AX88U-2340:/jffs/scripts# cat dnsmasq.postconf
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]" "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[2600:6c40:1c00:e84e:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx]" $CONFIiG
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion
I was doing something similiar with smb.postconf, quit working also. But the script gets ran. tested with a touch /tmp/test

No it's a Oneplus, DNS is not hardcoded. The beta firmware has a different behaviour to 384.19.

The issue was discussed in this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ads-only-blocked-on-laptops.67118/post-626436.
Do you have your DNS filter in the LAN settings configured to Router? It should look like this:
1607956552476.png

This will make sure all your outgoing DNS requests are routed through the DNS server configured under your WAN settings.

Edited with a sample DNS WAN setting:
1607957646585.png

Last edited:
Shoul I configure DNS filter in this way for diversion?
Yes, you should.
Diversion blocks all blocked domains in the blocking file and the blacklist (if you have any added there). To do that, your device or browser needs to request the content directly through your router. Make sure your devices DNS Server is your router's IP address. This is in most cases the IP 192.168.1.1.

What does the system log shows when dnsmasq gets started?

It's like what you said. Mine was dirty upgrade. After clean it, speed test is working. Thanks for clear it up.

There's a reason why I wrote in the first post that people coming from alpha builds to beta 1 must do a factory default reset... Your test failed because you didn't do so, and you had an invalid MTU configured.

Do you have your DNS filter in the LAN settings configured to Router? It should look like this:
View attachment 28480

This will make sure all your outgoing DNS requests are routed through the DNS server configured under your WAN settings.

Edited with a sample DNS WAN setting:
View attachment 28481

You should be aware that configuring in this manner will make all DNS queries appear as if the router made them.
That is fine for most use, but causes issues if you:
  1. Want to except certain devices from being filtered.
  2. Want to know which device is trying to get to this or that DNS name.
  3. Want to see stats on the individual devices, as with a Pihole install.

I have been using dnsmasq.postconf to replace my ipv6 DNS entry for longest time. But since upgrading to 386.1 Beta it doesn't seem to work anymore

admin@RT-AX88U-2340:/jffs/scripts# cat dnsmasq.postconf
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]" "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[2600:6c40:1c00:e84e:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx]" $CONFIiG
. /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div # Added by Diversion

It could be related to the issue I have with dnsmasq.postconf:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dnsmasq-postconf-adds-interface-to-desired-dns-address.64864/

Beta 2 is now available. Changes since beta 1:

Code:
7ee69fca7d Fix support for newer RSA signatures (as well as backward compatibility), and enable version 2 support
742a4f6db3 Updated documentation
a2472bcc37 build: bump FW image header to 386_40000 for models relying on it
6e43679943 rc: log allowed outbound connections from LAN when these are enabled
f4dd1608fa openssl: update to 1.1.1i
64ce6d2ccf rc: fix bandwidth limiter script caused by incorrect merge
1b4dc3b964 httpd: webui: revise HW acceleration reporting on Sysinfo page for HND models
a800293fb1 rc: always copy LE certs to /etc on httpd start
2a82f01f69 networkmap: use separate prebuild for RT-AC5300 (it has a different ND5 hash from other 7.14 models)
aa4d3d277e rc: remove AC3200/AC87U kludge from jffs2.c
d1dc42d8b6 openvpn: switch back to iproute2 for 2.6.xx models
90e3078724 SDK7114: use model-specific wl/et executables
fa332f6a00 SDK-6750: add missing fc symlink for RT-AX58U
d522c51f01 Bumped revision to beta 2

Additional things to test:

• RT-AC68U V3 support (untested)
  • Let's Encrypt renewal

@RMerlin is this error still an issue for the AC3100 on beta2?
Code:
rc_service: watchdog 415:notify_rc start_cfgsync

I just want to know, as it's annoying having the router log filled with this error every 30 seconds.

Can anyone confirm the AiMesh issues with AC5300 are resolved with beta 2?

@RMerlin AX88U trying out Beta 2, clicking on view list button on the network map page freezes the GUI. It does display the list although incomplete. Applying settings in Wireless>General causes a momentary restart. Still having LE trouble stuck at authorizing. After upgrading to Beta 2 my Wireless General page has been reformatted again. I've included the page below. However wifi continues to work but of course settings are no longer available. Console shows some errors, uncaught syntax, uncaught reference error, unexpected token ' ; ' and initial is not defined at onload. Can't seem to copy the results to this post. Tried this in chromium and firefox its the same.

Found a way to copy the console output on Chrome.

jquery.js:5 [Deprecation] Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
send @ jquery.js:5
Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp:34 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ';'
Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp:1930 Uncaught ReferenceError: initial is not defined
at onload (Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp:1930)

ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-General1.jpg

Last edited:
Beta 2 is now available. Changes since beta 1:

Code:
7ee69fca7d Fix support for newer RSA signatures (as well as backward compatibility), and enable version 2 support
742a4f6db3 Updated documentation
a2472bcc37 build: bump FW image header to 386_40000 for models relying on it
6e43679943 rc: log allowed outbound connections from LAN when these are enabled
f4dd1608fa openssl: update to 1.1.1i
64ce6d2ccf rc: fix bandwidth limiter script caused by incorrect merge
1b4dc3b964 httpd: webui: revise HW acceleration reporting on Sysinfo page for HND models
a800293fb1 rc: always copy LE certs to /etc on httpd start
2a82f01f69 networkmap: use separate prebuild for RT-AC5300 (it has a different ND5 hash from other 7.14 models)
aa4d3d277e rc: remove AC3200/AC87U kludge from jffs2.c
d1dc42d8b6 openvpn: switch back to iproute2 for 2.6.xx models
90e3078724 SDK7114: use model-specific wl/et executables
fa332f6a00 SDK-6750: add missing fc symlink for RT-AX58U
d522c51f01 Bumped revision to beta 2

Additional things to test:

• RT-AC68U V3 support (untested)
  • Let's Encrypt renewal
Dec 14 18:40:47 kernel: Cert success. ;-)

Firmware uploaded to my RT-3100 and RT-68 models and so far OK. RT-3100 issue seems to be fixed now with adding it as a node. Will continue to monitor that. AX-88 firmware main node will be uploaded later once work is over.

@RMerlin AX88U trying out Beta 2, clicking on view list button on the network map page freezes the GUI. It does display the list although incomplete. Applying settings in Wireless>General causes a momentary restart. Still having LE trouble stuck at authorizing. After upgrading to Beta 2 my Wireless General page has been reformatted again. I've included the page below. However wifi continues to work but of course settings are no longer available.View attachment 28488
Not seeing your issues here using Edge, B2 good so far.

@RMerlin AX88U trying out Beta 2, clicking on view list button on the network map page freezes the GUI. It does display the list although incomplete. Applying settings in Wireless>General causes a momentary restart. Still having LE trouble stuck at authorizing. After upgrading to Beta 2 my Wireless General page has been reformatted again. I've included the page below. However wifi continues to work but of course settings are no longer available. Console shows some errors, uncaught syntax, uncaught reference error, unexpected token ' ; ' and initial is not defined at onload. Can't seem to copy the results to this post.View attachment 28489
I'll test this later today too.

WOOHOO BETA 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!