What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the other-way around.
Does not work.

I've just changed
Bash:
mywghost=$(dig +short myhostname.privatedns.org 2>&1 | grep -P '^((25[0-5]|(2[0-4]|1\d|[1-9]|)\d)\.?\b){4}$')
to
Bash:
mywghost=$(nslookup myhostname.privatedns.org | awk '/^Address 1:.*myhostname\.privatedns\.org$/ { print $3 }' | grep -P '^((25[0-5]|(2[0-4]|1\d|[1-9]|)\d)\.?\b){4}$')

Now it works like a charm.

Just completed a dirty upgrade from 386.9 to 386.12.
Ran 'clear_vpnclients.sh' command. No issues. Everything seems to be working fine, except I'm getting this repeating constantly in the log:
wanduck: WARNING - router is in manufacturing mode, and can behave unexpectedly (did you mess with your bootloader?)
I've never encountered this message before, and it doesn't appear in the log until immediately after the upgrade to 386.12.
Someone else in this thread was getting the same message, but they were running on the T-Mobile variant. I'm using an RT-AC68R.
Anything else that could be triggering this message? Thanks.

Edit: Did some digging and found a discussion involving manufacturing mode here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/internet-status-disconnected.59830/page-3
Running the command 'nvram get ATEMODE' returns 1
This is on an RT-AC68R purchased from Best Buy in the US. I've still got the retail box. Never mucked with the bootloader. Just firmware updates from ASUS and Merlin.

Last edited:
Anything else that could be triggering this message?
This is triggered if the manufacturing mode nvram is set. I recommend doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring your router, as having this variable set may indicate that other settings might be in an invalid state.

This is triggered if the manufacturing mode nvram is set. I recommend doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring your router, as having this variable set may indicate that other settings might be in an invalid state.
Just finished the factory reset. Still getting the 'manufacturing mode' warning in the log.
The 'nvram get ATEMODE" command is still returning 1.
From what I was reading in the thread I linked above, it looks like a bug may have set ATEMODE to 1, or perhaps it was always like that?
Not sure if the next course of action should be to attempt restore of CFE (although I don't have a backup since I've never messed with the bootloader), or to use the commands to change ATEMODE to 0?

EDIT: SOLVED
After a lot of reading, I went ahead with the commands to set ATEMODE back to 0.
After reboot, 'get nvram ATEMODE' is returning 0, and no more wanduck manufacturing mode messages in the log.
Still have no idea how ATEMODE got set to 1 in the first place, but everything is working fine now.

Last edited:
I've spent the last few hours trying to compare sha256 information to validate what file I just downloaded. I'm using PowerShell, get-Filehash command and no matter what I do the checksums don't match. I've done this many times in the past. I'm downloading RT-AC68U from OneDrive mirror.
Using Get-Filehash command. PS C:\Users\steve> get-Filehash C:\Users\steve\Downloads\RT-AC68U_386.12_0.zip and the results do not match the information in the downloaded folder sha256. Results are as follows:
From the sha256 file in the download are: a07830f1dd3fa816c25c7b76263cbb13e4268fac3447fe623b048f66067deaf4 opened with Notepad ++
From PowerShell the get-Filehash results are: ED05B558FC7DA409196FAA329472739CE608DAD6FC84B694A6FB822D9F5B7D53 Pasted to Notepad++ after reading it in PowerShell. Then copied to the sha256 file in the downloaded file and compared one above another making sure my copy's are accurate.
No matter what I do nothing changes the results.
Again I've done this many times before the same way with great results. Everything is up to date, PowerShell and notepad++.

Can anyone please help me? I'm not on here much anymore so if it was mentioned before and its deep in the thread somewhere I wouldn't have heard about it. And don't have much luck with search
I make sure the download is authenticate every time I update firmware any one of my Asus routers. Thanks you smart people! ;)

I've spent the last few hours trying to compare sha256 information to validate what file I just downloaded. I'm using PowerShell, get-Filehash command and no matter what I do the checksums don't match. I've done this many times in the past. I'm downloading RT-AC68U from OneDrive mirror.
Using Get-Filehash command. PS C:\Users\steve> get-Filehash C:\Users\steve\Downloads\RT-AC68U_386.12_0.zip and the results do not match the information in the downloaded folder sha256. Results are as follows:
From the sha256 file in the download are: a07830f1dd3fa816c25c7b76263cbb13e4268fac3447fe623b048f66067deaf4 opened with Notepad ++
From PowerShell the get-Filehash results are: ED05B558FC7DA409196FAA329472739CE608DAD6FC84B694A6FB822D9F5B7D53 Pasted to Notepad++ after reading it in PowerShell. Then copied to the sha256 file in the downloaded file and compared one above another making sure my copy's are accurate.
No matter what I do nothing changes the results.
Again I've done this many times before the same way with great results. Everything is up to date, PowerShell and notepad++.

Can anyone please help me? I'm not on here much anymore so if it was mentioned before and its deep in the thread somewhere I wouldn't have heard about it. And don't have much luck with search
I make sure the download is authenticate every time I update firmware any one of my Asus routers. Thanks you smart people! ;)
Shouldn't you run get-filehash on the .trx file and not the .zip file? That's what I do and I've never gotten a mis-match.

Shouldn't you run get-filehash on the .trx file and not the .zip file? That's what I do and I've never gotten a mis-match.
SOLVED Thanks somehow I missed that.

Can filters be added in Firewall > Network Services Filter with this firmware build? The latest ASUSWRT broke this - new filters can't be added.

Last edited:
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.12 is now available for all supported AC models

Changes since 386.11:

Code:
386.12 (4-Sept-2023)
  - UPDATED: Merged with GPL 386_51997.
  - UPDATED: curl to 8.1.2.
  - UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.6.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1u.
  - UPDATED: tor to 0.4.7.13.
  - CHANGED: FTP server will now only support strong ciphers
             in TLS mode.
  - FIXED: QOS Classification showing no Upload data on some
           WAN configurations.
  - FIXED: Radio temperature graphs weren't updating
  - FIXED: nvram usage reported on Sysinfo page was inaccurate
           as it included JFFS stored values.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Hello, can you help yesterday I updated the firmware on my Asus RT-AC86U router to 386.12 but now the router is no longer recognizing the USB 3.0 hard drive connected to it.

Have you tried rebooting the router with the drive still inserted?

Have you tried doing an electrical reset? Pull the power plug from the router and from the AC wall plug and wait a couple of minutes. Leave the power on the router 'on' while the plugs are removed. Remove the USB drive too when the power is off.

Insert the USB drive and power up the router. If the same symptoms, repeat the electrical reset and plug the USB drive into another USB port if the router has a second one.

Test the USB drive on another computer to see if it is recognized there.

Having all sorts of problems with downloading. Tried 6 mirrors too. Finally found the OneDrive download link! Thank you!

This site can’t be reached​

downloads.sourceforge.net took too long to respond.

Hello, can you help yesterday I updated the firmware on my Asus RT-AC86U router to 386.12 but now the router is no longer recognizing the USB 3.0 hard drive connected to it.
Yes, try the USB on another computer. Working?
Perform a check disk (this PC > USB > right click > Propteries > check disk).
Have you got correct USB mode? USB 3.0? 2.0? Switch and check!
Plus try another socket.
Backup JFFS. Success?
Or test disable and re-enable.

Last edited:
Seems that there is still some problem with network map . Found that I could not change client names.
Fixed by killall networkmap .

Based on the comment in the following thread, WPS is not working in 386.12: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wps-not-working-stuck-on-connection-status-idle.75966/post-866526

Independent of that comment, I can confirm WPS is also not working on 386.11. However, it is working in version 386.2.4 (as also noted in the thread linked above).

As of now, whenever I need to add a WPS-only interface-less IoT device I flash down to firmware version 386.2.4, connect the device using WPS, then flash back up to latest.

Based on the comment in the following thread, WPS is not working in 386.12: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wps-not-working-stuck-on-connection-status-idle.75966/post-866526

Independent of that comment, I can confirm WPS is also not working on 386.11. However, it is working in version 386.2.4 (as also noted in the thread linked above).

As of now, whenever I need to add a WPS-only interface-less IoT device I flash down to firmware version 386.2.4, connect the device using WPS, then flash back up to latest.
that seems like a lot of work to me... which is why I'll likely avoid the IoT lol

Hi,

Has anyone had a case where wifi would come up with a default password ("asuswifi0123") after installing 386.12?
I bought a used AC3100 on eBay and installed 368.12 right away and wifi came up with this password. I tried resetting through GUI and WPS, but the password is still there.

First I assumed something wrong with 386.12 for AC3100, because
1. I already have 386.12 on AC86 and AC68 without any default passwords
2. Installing 386.11 on the AC3100 removed the default password and wifi comes up unprotected, as on other Asus routers with Merlin firmware
3. Reinstalling a freshly downloaded 386.12 sets the password back and reverting back to 386.11 again removes the password.

But googling "asuswifi0123" showed cases from 2021 and 2022 mentioning this password in "nvram show" dumps.

And a very recent case with an AC88U, right here on SNB: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/what-is-the-default-ssid-password-for-asus_48_2g.86830/page-2

So, now I don't know why there is a password on 386.12 and no password on 386.11.

Any ideas?

edit: attaching nvram dump

I have the exaclty same issue with you on RT-AC88U

p.s I switch to 386.12 from official firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48260

I looked a bit more into the WPS problem and confirmed that it is not present in stock Asus firmware so I believe it is a legitimate bug in merlin. A more detailed write-up of my investigation can be found in this comment. Note, I don't think this bug is new to 386.12, rather it was introduced sometime after 386.2.4 and before 386.12 (I can personally confirm it also present in 386.11). Based on the comments in the linked thread, I think the window can be further narrowed down to sometime after 386.2.4 and at or before 386.3.2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!