What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty update from 386.2_6. Open VPN client says connected, but it is not. When I check my IP address, it shows my ISP?
Set the VPN client verbosity to 6, reconnect, then post the system log from the connection.

Are there any priority issues with VPN and DNSFilter? I'm still not able to clear my DNS Leak.
VPN rules should have priority over DNSFILTER rules when set in Exclusive mode.

You can confirm the order:

Code:
iptables -t nat -L PREROUTING -vn

You can also confirm that the rules are getting hit by checking the packet count increase:

Code:
iptables -t nat -L DNSVPN1 -vn

If it doesn't, double check the IP, and make sure your browser isn't using DNS-over-HTTPS or DNS over TLS, and that DNS queries aren't cached by your browser.

Thanks @RMerlin. I can see the priority is showing DNSVPN1 first so that checks out. But the packet counts are not increasing. DoH/DoT not being used - will look into the cached thing. Strange.

Experiencing problems with Unbound and 386.3 beta, doesn't seem to work for me, anyone else?

Last edited:
I am have the same problem as someone else had. The VPN shows to be working in the router, but it's not. Check IP address and it is the same with VPN on or VPN off. Using AC86U router. Windows 10 Pro 64bit latest updates and MS Edge. Using SurfShark for VPN. Tried re-flashing router bios to Beta 1 again, no fix. Seems to have worked in the alphas and release versions. Have nothing set in VPN Director (never did in the alphas). Under VPN Client changed Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to All. Showed under VPN Director that all traffic was going through Surfshark VPN, but stills shows that I have same IP address with VPN on or off. Changed VPN client verbosity to 6 and when I turn on the VPN this is what is in log file:

Jul 4 18:08:20 ovpn-client1[4420]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:7: block-outside-dns (2.5.3)

I even deleted the Surfshark VPN client and re-did it (re-upload the config file from SurfShark webpage).

Thanks for any help.....

Just updated my AC86U main/AP combo at my remote site to 386.3b1. Nothing eventful. All working well. Not running any router-based VPN clients from here.

I am have the same problem as someone else had. The VPN shows to be working in the router, but it's not. Check IP address and it is the same with VPN on or VPN off. Using AC86U router. Windows 10 Pro 64bit latest updates and MS Edge. Using SurfShark for VPN. Tried re-flashing router bios to Beta 1 again, no fix. Seems to have worked in the alphas and release versions. Have nothing set in VPN Director (never did in the alphas). Under VPN Client changed Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to All. Showed under VPN Director that all traffic was going through Surfshark VPN, but stills shows that I have same IP address with VPN on or off. Changed VPN client verbosity to 6 and when I turn on the VPN this is what is in log file:

Jul 4 18:08:20 ovpn-client1[4420]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:7: block-outside-dns (2.5.3)

I even deleted the Surfshark VPN client and re-did it (re-upload the config file from SurfShark webpage).

Thanks for any help.....
Same. I'll need the system log content with VPN verbosity level set to 6 to investigate.

Thanks @RMerlin. I can see the priority is showing DNSVPN1 first so that checks out. But the packet counts are not increasing. DoH/DoT not being used - will look into the cached thing. Strange.
If the packet count for the DNSVPN rule itself does not increase, that would indicate that your client is not using regular DNS, as every request sent to port 53 should be intercepted by that rule.

Thanks for any help.....
Try to add in custom config.
pull-filter ignore "block-outside-dns"

https://iflorian.com/openvpn-block-outside-ds/

Last edited:
Same. I'll need the system log content with VPN verbosity level set to 6 to investigate.
I have attached the system log from the router via the System Log Tab on Left then General Log. I take it that is what you want?

Thanks

I have attached the system log from the router via the System Log Tab on Left then General Log. I take it that is what you want?

Thanks
I think I attached it? Well, I attached it, but it does not show an attached file when I Save. So not sure.

I think I attached it? Well, I attached it, but it does not show an attached file when I Save. So not sure.
Upload to pastbin and attache link

Set the VPN client verbosity to 6, reconnect, then post the system log from the connection.
Hi Merlin,
It was operator error on my part, as I am sure it is more often than not.

I had Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel set to, no on the client I was connecting to for some reason. When connecting with 386.2_6 it would connect and show my VPN IP but when I update to 386.3_beta 1 it would not.

Once I set Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to yes all, it works as it should.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!