What's new

bbc iplayer vpn policy based routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bilboSNB

Hello, does any know if it is possible for bbc iplayer traffic, or all bbc traffic to bypass the vpn for all devices.

I presume I need to some how find out all of the ip subnets used, any ideas how to do this? I can then create the rules accordingly.

I tried something similar yesterday. I couldn't get it to go.
I did something like this (my lan is 192.168.44.*)

192.168.44.0/24 | IP of known minecraft server WAN
0.0.0.0 | IP of known minecraft server WAN
192.168.44.X(my computer) | IP of known minecraft server WAN
192.168.44.1(router) | IP of known minecraft server WAN

At each attempt I rebooted and checked with a linux tool called mtr and ping -and compared times, I deleted other rules to avoid possible conflict. (I ran mtr on router)
I had no luck, not sure what I am doing wrong, however 192.168.44.X | 0.0.0.0 VPN/WAN works fine.

Last edited:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --src-range 212.58.224.0-212.58.255.255 -j MARK --set-mark 12 # www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

the above on a selective rooting script works for me.
I Live in the channel Islands and pay the bbc license but i need a vpn (Torguard) in order to get the full android Playstore and allot of online services.
hope it helps.

Personally I have been using Wireshark for Windows in order to get the ip's being used by the services that I want to go through the VPN... But Wireshark doesn't give the ip range, only the single ip being used at that moment, so what I do is just try the ip with the whole subnet to go though the VPN. It isn't the most elegant way of doing it, I'm certain, but gets the job done!

If there is an easier way of getting these ip's, please let me know guys, I have been trying to get the ip's from Netflix, I found some, but for some reason, I can't get them to work through a VPN...
After some search, these were the ip ranges I found for Netflix (not sure if is dependent of region):
From 108.175.32.0/24 to 108.175.47.0/24

Anyone confirms these are the correct ones!?

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --src-range 212.58.224.0-212.58.255.255 -j MARK --set-mark 12 # www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

the above on a selective rooting script works for me.
I Live in the channel Islands and pay the bbc license but i need a vpn (Torguard) in order to get the full android Playstore and allot of online services.
hope it helps.

Ditto re bbc fee and android playstore, but not the channel Islands. I was sending my android devices thru the uk vpn to get the full playstore but recently started getting issues with iplayer due to bbc blocking vpn ip addresses.

It seems to be working atm, not sure if it is the rule or the particular uk vpn exit note not blocked yet.

Ditto re bbc fee and android playstore, but not the channel Islands. I was sending my android devices thru the uk vpn to get the full playstore but recently started getting issues with iplayer due to bbc blocking vpn ip addresses.

It seems to be working atm, not sure if it is the rule or the particular uk vpn exit note not blocked yet.
I been using the vpn for over a year with no problems then about a month ago it stopped working.
What i can say is if i remove that rule from my script bbc iplayer tell me that their content is for uk only even after torguard says it fixed the issue in their end.

I heard a piece on one of my technology podcasts the other day that interviewed one of the network guys from the BBC and from what I managed to glean from his comments, they are wise to these various methods of "spoofing" your region in order to get whatever feed from them you are after.

Sounded like they have been well aware of all this for quite some time, and have been ignoring it. But all that is apparently about to change. Not sure if they are being pressured by regulators in the UK to clamp down on the practice or what, but it definitely sounded to me like fans of the BBC stream/broadcasts that have been manipulating their region's true origin in order to access region encoded source material will tune in one day soon and find the digital equivalent of static where their programs use to be.

Wish I had been paying closer attention to the interview now, since I only picked up enough of the details to be dangerous. ;)

Does any of this make sense to those using/accessing the service (s) ? Surely there must be some rumblings about whatever this guy was referring to out there.

Last edited:
As far I'm concerned every licence is tied to a person or an address with a unique number so all they got to do is tie that to an account and all we need to access is the ID, but apparently this seems to hard for them .
Instead it's easier to brand everyone with a vpn a content pirate.

At a recent tech meeting with BBC engineers, this was asked - yet again - and according to them, the reason that there is now more attention being paid to this is because the suppliers of programs to the BBC, whether they are small production companies or large movie houses. They are all now limiting their programs to the UK licence area as they all want to re-sell their programs to other broadcasters, including the BBC's own. The engineers said that some of these suppliers have indicated that if the BBC doesn't tighten up on this, they might consider supplying other broadcasters prior to the BBC.
In my opinion, using a licence number would last for 2 minutes before someone gave the number to a 'friend' and then the rest of the World.