What's new

Best wireless router with USB for printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boofhead

New Around Here
I am in the market for a new Wireless router. I currently have a Linksys WRT160N.

The current router is ok, but its range and speed is fairly bad. Also, I dont think it can handle lots of settings such as WPA2 AES with wireless N only mode etc. I want something that can handle more load than this router, and something quality that wont die real quick :p

It must also have gigabit ethernet. And as in the title, a usb port for printer server.
I understand that not many routers support printer servers over their usb (non of linksys routers do) so that should narrow down my options quite a bit.

Once narrowed down, I would just like to get the best router for range and speed. The main reason for upgrading is to stream movies across the house, so it must be good for media streaming.
Budget isnt too strict.

I like the Apple Airport Extreme, as the usb port can use a hub to attach more usb devices, and also supports printer server, and looks like a quality unit, but unfortunately it doesnt have QoS, which sucks.
Also, im not sure if I should get something with IP v6 support? APE has this.

So is there a router out there which meets my criteria?

Requiring a USB print server in a router narrows your choices by a lot. I wouldn't recommend making this a criteria since those print servers are quite basic and may not support you printer well, especially if it's a multifunction model.

If you are set on requiring this, some models are:
Belkin Play Max
ASUS RT-N16
D-Link DIR-655

I like to add the Belkin N+ with the latest firmware for USB attachment but not for printer though.

ok scrap that idea for usb then :p

Whats the best router for range and speed (mainly for video streaming around the house) for under $200 AUS?

Thats a pretty high budget, so whats the best router for range and speed?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!