What's new

Can't upgrade to Merlin on new RT-AX3000U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
I tried factory reset and configuring as an Aimesh node through my RT-AX86U main router. The only way I could connect was through an ethernet cable from the main router switch to the AX3000U. I reckon it's the same as a AX58, isn't it? That's the firmware I downloaded 3 times.

I've been getting a message that the firmware upgrade was unsuccessful soon as it starts loading it. It will go through the motions to 100% and re-affirm unsuccessful. I've re-downloaded, and still get the same thing a half dozen times. I tried to configure it with wifi only, and when I plugged the cable in again and tried, same thing.

My other AX86U configured as an Aimesh node and upgraded to Merlin FW easily, as I remember, but not with this puppy. I'm about stumped. And aggravated. I searched for the @L&LD article about how to upgrade to Merlin firmware without setting up a new network, but couldn't find it. I did find some interesting reading, though.

Can anyone help?
thanks,
jts

edit: I must use this AX58U as a wireless node for a while, at least.

If your AX3000 router is V2 revision, it has no Asuswrt-Merlin support.

You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on a node. Better run stock Asuswrt on nodes.

If your main router is running Asuswrt-Merlin - wireless node discovery doesn't work.

Dang, that's why I bought it instead of the cheaper AX56U. It wasn't on his list, and the 3K was.

RT-AX56U is supported.

Why do you need Asuswrt-Merlin on a node? Wireless node is a Repeater.

Why do you need Asuswrt-Merlin on a node? Wireless node is a Repeater.
I prefer to have the same firmware and version on all my routers. My others ran smooth as silk till I threw this in. It's easier shop keeping for me.

RT-AX56U is supported.

I must have missed it, because I looked. All I needed was a filler. I would be using my RT-AC86U with the WAN port blasted by lightning if I could get my main router to recognize it as a node. Or anything else.

And, others said the AC's don't play well with the AX's. So I listened. But didn't shop well.

I prefer to have the same firmware and version on all my routers.

You don't have the same firmware on different hardware. You have the same GUI only.

You don't have the same firmware on different hardware. You have the same GUI only.
I beg your pardon, but Merlin firmware is Merlin firmware.

IF it wasn't for Merlin, I would still be using a linksys router with "admin" as my user name and "password" as my password.

I'm not questioning your firmware choice. What I'm saying is Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 is a different firmware for your AX86U and eventual new AX58U. It's the same release number, but the routers have different hardware with different drivers and run different Lunix kernels on different CPUs. The GUI looks the same with some features difference based on what is supported by the hardware. The situation is the same in Asuswrt - this AX3000 router (as an example) runs the same firmware release for both V1 and V2 hardware, but the firmware file contains two firmware versions. If you look closely, Asuswrt 45898 release is 53MB in size, but newer releases are 107MB. Two AX58U/AX3000 routers may run the same release 49674, but in fact two different firmware packages depending on V1 or V2 revision. Autodetect an firmware upload determines which one is going to be used.

When used as AiMesh nodes, Asuswrt-Merlin and Asuswrt work the same*. RMerlin can't and does not change anything AiMesh or Wi-Fi related - closed source, the same for both firmware versions. Most folks use stock Asuswrt on nodes and report better results. Trial and error applies.

* - there are some issues in Asuswrt-Merlin and extra wireless AiMesh configuration steps may be required. Wireless AiMesh setup works as described by Asus only in stock Asuswrt. If you have issues with wireless node discovery, stop by and will help you with the known workarounds.

When used as AiMesh nodes, Asuswrt-Merlin and Asuswrt work the same*.
I realize that, but it's just easier to upgrade when they're coming out of the same pool. And, I may want to use them as a stand alone Merlin router in case I lend one to the church, a buddy, or split mine since they're out of reach.

Either way, I meant to get a Merlin capable router. And if it doesn't matter, I would prefer to run Asus-Merlin. I dropped the ball on that one.
I downloaded and tried to upgrade the asus 3k router to the Beta 2 of the recent AX only code, but it wouldn't take it, either. And I've got to run an eithernet cable for about 80' that I hadn't planned on, so I double messed up. :(

If you want to go cheaper, wait for AX86S on sale. This one runs the same firmware as your AX86Us and has the same radios.

I just didn't do any homework. I scrolled down the Merlin list and must have mistook the AX56U for the AX58U and vice versa. I didn't realize that V2 of the AX58U took a split. I paid more thinking it was compatible. I will research and see what the diffs are between the AX86U and the AX86S. And who knows, the '58 may see acceptablility, but there's probably a good reason it hasn't, no doubt.

I will research and see what the diffs are between the AX86U and the AX86S

- no 2.5GbE port
- the same CPU type, but dual-core
- the same RAM type, but 512MB

- looks the same (small difference in LED's)
- runs the same firmware
- has the same radios and Wi-Fi performance

It's like fixed AC86U with AX support. I've got one on sale for a friend of mine for CAD180 or USD150 equivalent. Good for up to Gigabit ISP.

It's like fixed AC86U with AX support. I've got one on sale for a friend of mine for CAD180 or USD150 equivalent. Good for up to Gigabit ISP.

That's about what I paid for the AX58U. I'm going to try today to see if it will run with 100' ethernet backhaul. It won't run wireless. I will have to bury it eventually, but trying a dry run on top of the ground leaving stock firmware on it. After all, not much choice with the FW. It would be hard to sell probably, maybe keep it for a loaner or backup.

Merlins list says the AX58U is supported but doesn't say anything about V2. It don't bother me much running stock as long as it picks up my security cameras on the YAZFI guest network.
It hasn't yet, 0 clients.
So far it won't update Asus firmware, either.

Merlins list says the AX58U is supported but doesn't say anything about V2. It don't bother me much running stock as long as it picks up my security cameras on the YAZFI guest network.
It hasn't yet, 0 clients.
So far it won't update Asus firmware, either.

A lot of people recommend running stock on nodes if you're using AiMesh, and merlin on the main router only.

A lot of people recommend running stock on nodes if you're using AiMesh, and merlin on the main router only.

Yeah, I used to, too. It's more convenient is the main reason, but that's not much of one.
I wasn't running my security cams on guest network then, and apparently the RT-AX3000 doesn't play with them. Or I haven't picked one up yet, and should have them all.

I know. A little note won't hurt and will save the confusion for many. You're not the first one with this issue.

Maybe encourage him to add it, too? But I'm sure there's a good reason. Need to put a qualifier at the end of it anyway, so folks will know.

No return options?

I trashed the box right off due to lack of storage space, and didn't think there would be a need to return it.

Yeah, I used to, too. It's more convenient is the main reason, but that's not much of one.
I wasn't running my security cams on guest network then, and apparently the RT-AX3000 doesn't play with them. Or I haven't picked one up yet, and should have them all.

No reason it wouldn't play well with them - they may just be stuck to the main node and need to be bounced to latch on to the new one.

Keep in mind if you're using Guest Wireless 1 it will get a totally different subnet from main wireless, some cameras won't work on that and you'd need to use GW2 instead. Unless your entire camera system is on the same guest wireless then it should work ok (assuming your main router is on the latest firmware and implements that same separation).

Edit I see you're using Yazfi guest, I'm not that familiar with it but if it isn't using the same guest subnet and VLAN as the new router that would probably be an issue. If Yazfi just uses the main subnet with no special VLANs etc then try using GW2 on the node, that bypasses the subnet separation. It looks like it does set up separate subnets so you may have to tell your main router to use the same subnet and GW2 or something. Not really sure if you can set up Yazfi to work alongside a non-yazfi enabled AP or not. Looks like it would require some special configs to get it to work. Looks like Yazfi does not support Aimesh or even AP mode.

From what I can see the only way to get it working would probably have a Merlin (or other 3rd party firmware) enabled node and make your own wired backhaul with the proper VLAN taggging to match whatever Yazfi has set up, probably need to run some custom scripts on both routers.

So if you want it to work with what you have now, you probably need to ditch Yazfi and use the regular Guest Wireless 1 with AiMesh which will put the same subnet on both routers and segregate the traffic. I'm assuming your cameras don't like being on 2 different subnets which are blocked from talking between them.

Last edited:
No reason it wouldn't play well with them - they may just be stuck to the main node and need to be bounced to latch on to the new one.

Keep in mind if you're using Guest Wireless 1 it will get a totally different subnet from main wireless, some cameras won't work on that and you'd need to use GW2 instead. Unless your entire camera system is on the same guest wireless then it should work ok (assuming your main router is on the latest firmware and implements that same separation).

Yea, I got them all on GW2 and they hava a different subnet. I don't have GW1, just GW2 and GW5 active. 4 cameras are at the edge of the mesh, and are sometimes in and out, which is the reason for adding the AX3000/ 58U. It don't show any clients, which it wouldn't, but they haven't changed, still in and out.
Edit I see you're using Yazfi guest, I'm not that familiar with it but if it isn't using the same guest subnet and VLAN as the new router that would probably be an issue. If Yazfi just uses the main subnet with no special VLANs etc then try using GW2 on the node, that bypasses the subnet separation. It looks like it does set up separate subnets so you may have to tell your main router to use the same subnet and GW2 or something. Not really sure if you can set up Yazfi to work alongside a non-yazfi enabled AP or not. Looks like it would require some special configs to get it to work.

I'm not sure how to implement just GW2 on the node, but that's all I need it to pick up, nothing else there for now. Next, after setting to factory one more time and giving Aimesh one last try, is to drop Aimesh and set the nodes as access points. I'm not sure that's the answer either, but got to try something. It's not working now. Only way I can get my Router to recognize it as a node is with a cable, even sitting next to it.

Yea, I got them all on GW2 and they hava a different subnet. I don't have GW1, just GW2 and GW5 active. 4 cameras are at the edge of the mesh, and are sometimes in and out, which is the reason for adding the AX3000/ 58U. It don't show any clients, which it wouldn't, but they haven't changed, still in and out.

I'm not sure how to implement just GW2 on the node, but that's all I need it to pick up, nothing else there for now. Next, after setting to factory one more time and giving Aimesh one last try, is to drop Aimesh and set the nodes as access points. I'm not sure that's the answer either, but got to try something. It's not working now. Only way I can get my Router to recognize it as a node is with a cable, even sitting next to it.

Are you still trying to run yazfi or is that gone? They won't work together. You say different subnet which should only be GW1 but maybe your routers are different, if you have 5 guest networks maybe there are more that use subnet segregation.