What's new

Diversion Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker v4.2.x (see new thread for 4.3.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can live with the risk of more 'false positives' as the exceptions can be quite easily handled.

The main plus for me was the memory saving as this gives me more room to play with.
I am an inveterate tinkerer and keep changing configurations, filterlists etc etc :)

The change to the format accepted by wc_blacklist would enable direct usage of urls and Diversion would do all the 'grunt work' automagically !!!
For a true wildcard blocking experience, might I suggest
https://github.com/SidShetye/guiderails
Here you can experience an unhindered amount of whitelist until your hearts desire.

@thelonelycoder first of all , thanks for all the great work on diversion. love the tool.

Quick q, when starting diversion/ad-blocking service:

Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 20.00.00.png

i see

10.0.0.0/8 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.0.2

route being added to the kernel table. This is a bit too wide of subnet. I did a quick search and your scripts are tight and i could not find any ref where this is added to adjust the subnet mask.
any pointers? Also, would it not be better to lookup mask on br0 interface ipaddr and use that instead? , thanks

I having been having a problem with my router; "nvram show" under SSH does not return. This mean web GUI no longer work. I wrote a scrip to do "nvram show" every 5 mins and I traced it to Diversion. When "nvram show" shop working between 2:00 and 2:05, the log shows:

Apr 2 02:00:03 Skynet: [#] 46459 IPs (+0) -- 1659 Ranges Banned (+0) || 24278 Inbound -- 575 Outbound Connections Blocked! [save] [3s]
Apr 2 02:00:09 Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings
Apr 2 02:01:40 Skynet: [#] 46459 IPs (+0) -- 1659 Ranges Banned (+0) || 24282 Inbound -- 575 Outbound Connections Blocked! [whitelist] [90s]
Apr 2 02:01:44 Diversion: updated Standard blocking list from 1 valid hosts file(s), 108357 domains are now blocked
Apr 2 02:01:46 Diversion: updated and reset weekly ads counter: 7,000,109 total, 58,606 this week, 800 new since last count
Apr 2 02:01:47 Diversion: reset dnsmasq log files (weekly cron job)

This happens after ~3.5 days.

I have since disable Diversion, and all is well after ~7.5 days. Is there anything I can do on my end to solve/side-step this issue? I am using the standard version, v4.2.2. The router is RT-AC86U on Merlin 386.5. I will update the fw tonight.

The issues is very similar to this thread

2 GB is plenty for Skynet, Diversion and most other apps combined. Then, there’s Unbound that some users report uses more than that for some specific operations. Don’t ask, I don’t remember the specifics. I added the 5 and 10GB size option upon request.
Go with 2 GB, it will be sufficient for 97,5% of the use cases.
Can I somehow make the swap file located at the end of the drive partition?

When you say end what do you mean? Are you using a flash drive? If so there is not an end I don’t believe, it is not a spinning drive so it will just create it. Having it on the flash drive with everything else won’t cause issues. At least it didn’t with mine

If you're using a swap file, the file system allocates the blocks automatically. Perhaps you're thinking about creating swap partition?

If you're using a swap file, the file system allocates the blocks automatically. Perhaps you're thinking about creating swap partition?
@PeterR that is exactly what I thought too after reading "at the end of the drive partition" comment. Except the jargon is a bit mixed up here, it wouldn't be at the "end" of the drive partition, but maybe partitioned as the last part of the drive partitioning.

Whenever you use AMTM to make your swapfile, it creates it as a single swapfile stored on the partition you choose. In this instance, the only discretion you have is which partition you want to place the swap file on. In best practice, it would be good to store it on the same partition your entware and other packages reside. That way everything is available once you mount that drive. You don't want scripts struggling to wait for the partition that contains the swap file to mount. It is much simpler and easier at boot time if everything is available all at once (i.e. the same partition all your packages are on.) However, you can make a separate partition for storing your own data (i.e. like music, files, videos-a.k.a. your multimedia data).

Hey all ...I recently wanted to try out the "small" blocking list from the standard option. I wasn't sure how much ads it should be blocking but I keep seeing ads on the snbforums website. I just wanted to make sure this was working as intended...any ideas?

If this is normal...I'm ok with it just ensuring it's working as intended. Thanks for the input.

Hey all ...I recently wanted to try out the "small" blocking list from the standard option. I wasn't sure how much ads it should be blocking but I keep seeing ads on the snbforums website. I just wanted to make sure this was working as intended...any ideas?

If this is normal...I'm ok with it just ensuring it's working as intended. Thanks for the input.
Yeah the ads on here are whitelisted by default.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow oh...

Not on all (on most USB dongles, I hope it's clear), the controller does not know how to do wear leveling, so the paging file at the beginning of the partition makes the drive unusable very quickly.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow oh...

Not on all (on most USB dongles, I hope it's clear), the controller does not know how to do wear leveling, so the paging file at the beginning of the partition makes the drive unusable very quickly.

Have you tried a 5GB Swap, for the reasons you mention?

I still don’t understand why the location of the swap file (start, end, random) would make any difference.

Why would “at the end” (whatever that means for flash) be better than “at the start”?

I still don’t understand why the location of the swap file (start, end, random) would make any difference.

Why would “at the end” (whatever that means for flash) be better than “at the start”?
The only advantage I can see for placement of the swap file, is to make sure it is ready when all other processes launch. In this regard, I keep mine on the same partition entware is on. Like you, I am at a loss for the exact 'location' you are referring to. It might matter when we are talking about placement of a "swap partitions" in comparison with other partition placements, but amtm uses swap files.

is possible install Diversion on Openwrt or Freshtomato??
i'm happy using "Youtube Adblock" since using Merlin on my secondhand AC68U..

i'm interest install Diversion + YT Adblock on my another N18u(FT) & Xiaomi 4A Gigabit( running Openwrt, but no USB :-D)..
both router still using built-in Adblock..

Last edited:
is possible install Diversion on Openwrt or Freshtomato??
i'm happy using "Youtube Adblock" since using Merlin on my secondhand AC68U..

i'm interest install Diversion + YT Adblock on my another N18u(FT) & Xiaomi 4A Gigabit( running Openwrt, but no USB :-D)..
both router still using built-in Adblock..
Nope, strictly asus package

@thelonelycoder, I noticed when updating the largest adblocking list: https://dbl.oisd.nl/ that it downloads a text file and I was wondering if Diversion could handle dealing with a text file with the list of hosts on it? I wasn't sure if Diversion was able to make sense of the text file with the hosts files on it so I found a regular old fashion raw.github of the same block list: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ookangzheng/dbl-oisd-nl/master/hosts.txt and I'm currently using that.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You

@thelonelycoder, I noticed when updating the largest adblocking list: https://dbl.oisd.nl/ that it downloads a text file and I was wondering if Diversion could handle dealing with a text file with the list of hosts on it? I wasn't sure if Diversion was able to make sense of the text file with the hosts files on it so I found a regular old fashion raw.github of the same block list: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ookangzheng/dbl-oisd-nl/master/hosts.txt and I'm currently using that.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You
Diversion accepts hosts lists in two formats: As IP-domain pair or as a plain domain list.
That means that both of your linked lists are supported. Diversion will detect the presented format and add or replace the blocking IP to that list so that Dnsmasq can use it to block domains.

No matter what format your list is, Diversion will strip the file down to domains only, remove duplicates and whitelisted domains and then add the blocking IP so that it ends up as a „<blocking IP> domain“ pair on your router.

I have Diversion on Ac88x for a month on latest Merlin firmware. I dont see that it is better than just setting AdGuard DNS on stock firmware.
Without AdGuard Pro on my devices there is a lot of unfiltered ads comming through.
YouTube filter also does nothing.
Am I expecting too much?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!