What's new

Do you have an old RT-AC68U - care to share?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Hi Folks - I'm sfx...

I've been a contributor to the AsusWRT-RMerlin subforums, and have collaborated with many of the principal members...

To be honest - a lot of the stuff I've commented on is general linux and embedded specifically... I don't currently own an AsusWRT device - although I did have a WL-330NUL which I totally reversed and hacked...

I'm between jobs at the moment -- so I have some free time, and it would be something to keep me busy and contribute to the community in a positive manner.

I have all the tools and experience needed to help the community - just need a target... something to occupy my excessive free time these days :D

What I don't have at the moment is funds to go over to the local big-box store and purchase a device that is basically not needed - my pfSense router and Airport AP's along with a Netgear GS-108T switch takes care of my needs there.

The Ask - I don't have is an Asus device at the moment - care to share an older RT-AC68U? Put it to good use vs recycle into a dump over in East Asia or Africa?

Since the Asus community is going through an upgrade cycle, if one can loan me a device - I'm happy to give it back if it's not bricked - if it is bricked, I'm likely to make it work again.

And - no - I'm not at the point of hacking bits for food... at least not yet, lol...

just have some free time to help out and contribute in a positive manner.

Last edited:
I see from your profile you are in the US, so I guess you’d be appealing to US (and Canadian?) members, otherwise you could be hit with import duties?

Best of luck in finding new and good employment quickly.

And - no - I'm not at the point of hacking bits for food... at least not yet, lol...

just have some free time to help out and contribute in a positive manner.
I have a bricked TM-AC1900 if you'll deem to go to the dark-side. (already converted but fooling around I flashed a corrupt CFE- it doesn't boot, so serial console doesn't work). It was going to the landfill (minus the power supply I was saving as a spare, but I'd send it all for the cost of postage.

I have a genuine RT-AC68U, hardware version A2, that I could contribute. I upgraded to a RT-AC88U about a year and a half ago - if I recall correctly there was some bugginess that I was experiencing that I used for an excuse to upgrade, and I think it was ironed out in a later version of the firmware. I'm in San Diego too and could deliver - would save me shipping costs.

I have a genuine RT-AC68U, hardware version A2, that I could contribute. I upgraded to a RT-AC88U about a year and a half ago - if I recall correctly there was some bugginess that I was experiencing that I used for an excuse to upgrade, and I think it was ironed out in a later version of the firmware. I'm in San Diego too and could deliver - would save me shipping costs.

That would be cool - again, this is a short term loan of a device - I'll return it...

Send me a PM and we can sort out details - I'm over in East County, just east of La Mesa, close to Casa de Oro...

I see from your profile you are in the US, so I guess you’d be appealing to US (and Canadian?) members, otherwise you could be hit with import duties?

Pretty much - there's ways to get around the imports and duties, but it's more effort than it's worth sometimes...

Best of luck in finding new and good employment quickly.

thanks! and yes, there's been some nibbles from recruiters and a couple of interviews lined up...

FWIW - startups can be fun, or they can be incredibly frustrating - my bootstrapped science project was fun, and had a good exit, but the startup I joined after - keeping things simple, because they must be, was not the right fit in the short and long term... hence now I have a lot of free time.

Pretty much - there's ways to get around the imports and duties, but it's more effort than it's worth sometimes...

thanks! and yes, there's been some nibbles from recruiters and a couple of interviews lined up...

FWIW - startups can be fun, or they can be incredibly frustrating - my bootstrapped science project was fun, and had a good exit, but the startup I joined after - keeping things simple, because they must be, was not the right fit in the short and long term... hence now I have a lot of free time.

If the weight of support and forum members’ good wishes play any part, you’ll have no problem in your job hunting. Perhaps you’ll let us know when you’ve found what you’re looking for.

Great news about the router!

@mgttr - many thanks for the loan - nice to chat with you today, and put faces to names/pixels behind the screen.

It's already been very useful getting things set up - word to the wise - when transferring a AsusWRT device to another person (or e-cycling it) - reset it to factory before handing things off - otherwise, you might be in for a surprise.

I put the RT-AC68U online, and about the same time - @mgttr - his other Asus router went a bit confused...

I would have gone to into debug/troubleshoot mode, but realized it was bound to an account - likely the Asus account... so promptly took it offline and went into firefight mode to unbind it.

If the weight of support and forum members’ good wishes play any part, you’ll have no problem in your job hunting. Perhaps you’ll let us know when you’ve found what you’re looking for.

Powers me forward - thanks for the kind thoughts...

Couple of leads on tap now - and interviews next week.

If it doesn't work out there - I've got a couple of ideas, maybe you'll see me on Kickstarter ;)

@sfx2000 Nice to hear you got things sorted!! Hope your job search is fruitful...;)

@mgttr - many thanks for the loan - nice to chat with you today, and put faces to names/pixels behind the screen.

It's already been very useful getting things set up - word to the wise - when transferring a AsusWRT device to another person (or e-cycling it) - reset it to factory before handing things off - otherwise, you might be in for a surprise.

I put the RT-AC68U online, and about the same time - @mgttr - his other Asus router went a bit confused...

I would have gone to into debug/troubleshoot mode, but realized it was bound to an account - likely the Asus account... so promptly took it offline and went into firefight mode to unbind it.

I enjoyed meeting up with you too. Who knew that loaning you the modem would turn out to be a learning experience for both of us? Good luck with the job search.

Powers me forward - thanks for the kind thoughts...

Couple of leads on tap now - and interviews next week.

If it doesn't work out there - I've got a couple of ideas, maybe you'll see me on Kickstarter ;)

Please let us know: I’m sure there are many here who’d wish to support you in any way they can.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!