What's new

edimax wifi adaptor can't see networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chenks

Regular Contributor
RT-AX88U, main WIFI combined 2.4/5, guest wifi 2.4 only.
all devices picking up WIFI ok, except for 1 which uses an edimac b/g/n usb adapter, it doesn't see any of my networks.
2.4 is on channel 7 so can't see an obvious reason why the edimax can't see any of me networks?

Annotation 2020-07-20 083341.jpg

I don’t have this particular router but my router let me choose between auto, n/ac, legacy for wireless mode.

for wireless mode, the only option i have is "auto"

protected management framaes are already disabled.
would disabling HE frame support mean that AX wifi would be disabled completely? as that would not be a good outcome to have to lose AX wifi to let this device connect.

it worked fine on my Unifi Access points (albeit they weren't AX), so not sure why the asus seems to cause a problem

edit - disabling " 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode" made no difference

i've also tried enabling some of the stuff that was previously disabled and still no luck.

these are now my complete wifi settings.
i expect the edimax to only connect to 2.4Ghz.

Annotation 2020-07-20 162912.jpg

Doesn't that disable combined 2.4/5Ghz though? That's not an outcome I'd want, but would be an interesting test.

As I said, it didn't have a problem when using the unifi kit, so not sure what is different here

Doesn't that disable combined 2.4/5Ghz though?

Smart Connect forces using same SSID for each band. Disabling Smart Connect permits using different SSIDs. Either way, bands are not combined.

OE

My bands are currently combined and that's what I want to continue having

would disabling HE frame support mean that AX wifi would be disabled completely? as that would not be a good outcome to have to lose AX wifi to let this device connect.

You're not losing much...

you mentioned Edimax USB Wifi adapter - can you be more specific?

i'd be losing AX support on my laptop though!
however i tried it enabled and disbaled and it made no difference.

it's an edimax ew-7811un

There are devices that don't play well with Smart Connect.

Turn it off and simply set separate SSIDs for the bands.

For example, 2.4Ghz can be "name"

And 5Ghz can be "name_5G"

And you connect the device to the band of your choice, preferably 5Ghz. If not, then 2.4Ghz.

the device played well with a combined SSID previously (on various different APs), so is smart connect doing something differently than what other APs do?
if that's the only solution then i'll have to stop using the edimax and replace it with something else, as i don't want seperate SSIDs.

this is the only device that can't see the WIFI network.

I would suggest obtaining another USB wireless device.

should point out though, it doesn't even see my guest wifi SSID, which is 2.4Ghz only

I have a feeling that this is not a fault/issue with the router.

Have you tested on a different network?

yes the adapator works fine, it was being used daily on the old AP before it was replace with the asus.
it also sees other WIFI networks around.

Personally, Smart Connect is more problematic than helpful for me, so I always run separate SSIDs and manually connect my devices to the band I want them on. That way I know devices I want the best chance at the highest throughput will always be on the 5 GHz network and won't roam to the 2.4 and the less important devices are left on the 2.4 and won't clog up the 5.

What with this issue and the missing DHCP fields we talked about in your other thread, there are too many weird things going on with your firmware for my liking, so I would factory reset and manually reconfigure at this point to rule out firmware updates leading to these issues, which can happen. At least then, you know you're starting from a clean base and if the issues remain, it may be easier to diagnose. Until you try this and have confidence your router's firmware is running as it should, I think it's a waste of time trying any suggestions from us.

the router is only a few days old, and was manually configured after the latest firmware update was applied, so it's not like there are years worth of config changes on it.
so i did start from a clean base.

took it out the box.
manually applied the latest firmware.
configured it to what it is currently set to

also, the edimax doesn't see the guest wifi which is only broadcasting on 2.4Ghz, so that may suggest that smart connect isn't the culprit here?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!