What's new

[Feature Discussion] The Fabled Roaming Block List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has this feature been useful to you?

• Yes, but I do not use Aimesh.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Swistheater

Very Senior Member
Okay, So I have added all my "stationary" devices to this list. When I mean stationary, I mean devices that never move or change location. I feel as though there is no real need or added benefit to allowing these devices to be roamed between nodes.

I am starting this thread to see if any one has actually tested this feature thoroughly and has noticed any benefits to their devices staying connected that never change locations.

Last edited:
I use Roaming BlockList but think there are still some issues.
If you add a client when connected to a node, it stays there.
When you reconnect after the LAN client has been turned off, it can select the weakest node.
There is no way to choose which node it should remain on.

They should be a single function where you choose which node (s) / master node client to stay on.

I use Roaming BlockList but think there are still some issues.
If you add a client when connected to a node, it stays there.
When you reconnect after the LAN client has been turned off, it can select the weakest node.
There is no way to choose which node it should remain on.

They should be a single function where you choose which node (s) / master node client to stay on.
That would be awesome to be able to control which node gets connected to. The only one benefit I have noticed is with my devices that stay connected 24/7 and stay in the same spot wind up staying connected to the node they originally connected to. I noticed that when aimesh tries to roam them it would sometimes not actually reconnect and they would be without connection until I reset the connection, but on the roaming block list , I dont have that issue.

I have a couple of devices that seems to just do their own thing, I am mainly looking at you ecobee.
I would like to specify the node or router only as a reconnection point.

I am not so sure it would benefit me that much any longer. I do agree it would be a very valuable feature.

I am using just 1 router and node now after a large reconfig of my setup. Most of my problematic devices are all on one end of the house near the node and rarely ever are seen on the other end aka Router now.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go track down a missing node. Damn Gremlins. Thanks for the topic as it made me look and notice "someone got water on my Mogwai" sigh. Hopefully this is not a precursor for things to come today. :(

If you want a little better function you can use "Roaming assistance"
I have mine on both 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz and it works really well.
Has set level -70dbm what I wonder is how often is the roaming level controlled?

Code:
Aug 16 16:04:02 roamast: discover candidate node
[40:B0:76:xx:xx:xx](rssi: -77dbm) for weak signal strength client [EC:89:14:xx:xx:xx](rssi: -82dbm)
Aug 16 16:04:02 roamast: roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-70dbm)

40:B0:76:xx:xx:xx = is my nod
EC:89:14:xx:xx:xx = is my Huawei p20

Last edited:
I have one router and one node and assumed this feature meant do not roam onto a node, being as you set it in the main router settings, but despite adding the device I want to remain on the router to the Roaming Block List, it's still roaming to the node.

What's interesting is the node is further away from the device than the router and has more materials in the way of the signal than the router.

I have one router and one node and assumed this feature meant do not roam onto a node, being as you set it in the main router settings, but despite adding the device I want to remain on the router to the Roaming Block List, it's still roaming to the node.

What's interesting is the node is further away from the device than the router and has more materials in the way of the signal than the router.
Late to the party, but just picked up a RT-AX86u. Setup new Aimesh with RT-AC66U B1. Notice right away, an Amazon Echo Show right next to the router, further away from the node than the router (meaning the router is in between the Echo Show and the node) is sometime being included as the node's client. So, I setup the Aimesh client Block List for 10 devices - I see that several on this list still occasionally makes it onto the node

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!