What's new

Fix Bufferbloat & Ping RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StavrosWTF

Occasional Visitor
So I have been having issues setting up my home's internet connection after moving out. My ISP gave me a new modem/router which I put in bridge mode and now only my RT-AC86U is running.
Right now, I am running fq_codel QOS on ASUS Merlin 386.7_2 and I am having like 110 ping in games and 220ms upload bufferbloat when testing on DSLReports.
I have tried running Cake QOS On Asus Merlin as well and I am still getting 110 ping but with no upload bufferbloat at all.

Any ideas on what can I do to at least be able to get to 70-90 ping for games? I was getting this ping on my other house.

Ok, I’m unfamiliar with that one though check your ISP router ain’t one of the ones containing Intel Puma 6 chipset as the ‘pike spike’ issue is inherent and an known issue though has been slightly curved with firmware’s but still present to a degree. Here is a link to some known ISP routers but not sure if it exhausted- https://lookgadgets.com/articles/intel-puma-modems-list/ - I’m also in the same boat as I’m with Virgin Media with SuperHub4 which contains this chip. Saying all this I have through the years tried many configs to stop this from happening just check your router and I’ll post some things you can do

Right after racking my brain I’ve remembered some of the stuff I did to bring down me ping and keeps it stable-ish as well reduce jitter. Took me ages due to testing but had to fine tune the QOS , WAN MTU and use actualised optimal WiFi settings to do this. Of course everyone’s network is different so what I’ve done might negatively impact but you can always revert back. So for QOS I adjusted the download and upload speeds till ping times lowered and ping spikes reduce in size (you can do this through ‘cmd’ on windows just ping a server or site to test I used my ISP’s Primary DNS server as it is very reliable secondary read and followed tutorials on adjusting MTU to fine tune it to my network (just search on internet and you’ll find many sites guiding you through) once I found my ideal packet size I changed the setting in my router under WAN finally followed this thread - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-setup-for-the-asus-rt-ac68u-actualized-to-2019.55684/page-5 - to get the best out of my WiFi and reduce CPU load. Make sure you do any tests with a wired connection for consistent and true tests. Hope this helps me dude, if you got any questions ask away and I’ll see if I can answer them.

Last edited:
Right after racking my brain I’ve remembered some of the stuff I did to bring down me ping and keeps it stable-ish as well reduce jitter. Took me ages due to testing but had to fine tune the QOS , WAN MTU and use actualised optimal WiFi settings to do this. Of course everyone’s network is different so what I’ve done might negatively impact but you can always revert back. So for QOS I adjusted the download and upload speeds till ping times lowered and ping spikes reduce in size (you can do this through ‘cmd’ on windows just ping a server or site to test I used my ISP’s Primary DNS server as it is very reliable secondary read and followed tutorials on adjusting MTU to fine tune it to my network (just search on internet and you’ll find many sites guiding you through) once I found my ideal packet size I changed the setting in my router under WAN finally followed this thread - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-setup-for-the-asus-rt-ac68u-actualized-to-2019.55684/page-5 - to get the best out of my WiFi and reduce CPU load. Make sure you do any tests with a wired connection for consistent and true tests. Hope this helps me dude, if you got any questions ask away and I’ll see if I can answer them.
Thank you for the input. I will probably try those when I am all by myself on the internet.