What's new

Help choosing a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rupert Giles

New Around Here
I'm currently running with a Trendnet TEW-818DRU, with DD-WRT. The router works reasonably well, but the coverage in parts of my townhouse (router is on the top floor) is spotty. I'm getting ready to jettison the cable box, and just go with streaming services, so I'd like something with more robust WiFi (no CAT5 near the TV).

I'm attached to the extra features provided by after-market firmware (DD-WRT, ASUSWRT-Merlin), so I'd want a router that would be stable on one of these platforms. So far, I'm inclined toward one of the high-end Asus: (AC3100, or AC5300), but am open to other suggestions. No gaming in my house, just video streaming, and the usual tablets, smartphones, and an iMac.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

If going for aftermarket firmware the Qualcomm chipset based Netgear R7800 is a more powerful option 5Ghz WiFi and CPU wise (VPN performance), Streamboost QoS on stock firmware is pretty good . LEDE (OpenWRT) is more bleeding edge than DD-WRT and LEDE's Cake QoS is pretty amazing, it's by the same people who created FQ_Codel. Voxel has a pretty good stock based custom firmware with latest package updates. Hnyman an LEDE dev releases builds every 4-5 days with the 17.01.2 builds being the most stable and master builds being the bleeding edge. The AC3100 is pretty decent too and probably a better buy than the AC5300. If sticking purely to stock Asus does provide more user options vs somewhat minimalist settings in Netgear stock.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!