What's new

help me choose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

korenisko

Occasional Visitor
Hello, all
I had RT-N65U. It was stable, no problem at all. Used great padavan firmware on it. But I sold it at low price to friend, so I need new router.
After hours and hours internet shops browsing and choosing right router, I cant choose right for me...
I have two candidates
Netgear R6400 and Asus RT-ac66U.
Netgear only runs stock or DD-WRT
Asus running stock, tomato, merlins, but DD-WRT has dropped support for RT-ac66U.
and is older - 2012y...

So, help me because I dont know which to pick :)

Edit:
I just discovered, that RT-N56U B1 have ac wifi on padavan fw, so which from these 3?

Last edited:
depends what you need. from a router. I dont consider DD-wrt a factor in buying a router, Its better to consider the support of 3rd party firmware but not take DD-wrt in particular as a factor. Many good firmwares available and even RMerlin has a not obvious feature in his firmware that most of the other firmwares dont such as IPTables.

All the routers have their advantages and disadvantages. If you want to compare hardware check wikidevi.com

And ac66u is only draft ac, right?

No, but it is the first gen AC class router that has a single processor core. I would not recommend either of your two choices today.

The RT-AC56U and better (AC1900 class) routers with more ram, dual processors and higher processor speeds are a much better buy today.

so, I ordered RT-N56U b1

What is logic in your decision, LOL? I tried to say never for Netgear, spend little more go for RT-AC68u.

Edit:
I just discovered, that RT-N56U B1 have ac wifi on padavan fw, so which from these 3?

I do not think this is possible. The router requires AC class hardware to offer AC WiFi. A firmware update cannot do it.

I do not think this is possible. The router requires AC class hardware to offer AC WiFi. A firmware update cannot do it.

Quite often folks tend to forget communication is 2-way business.

So, ac66U is capable to use ac with other brands clients? That draft ac standard discouraged me from buying it

As i keep saying theres no such thing as draft AC. Think of like the intel iseries CPU, it has many gens but still does the same thing. The only difference really is just performance (2 channel vs 3 or 4 channels), RF design, antennas and the radio chips used. But if your needs arent much than the AC66U will do well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!