What's new

Help to decide on TP Link Archer C3150 vs. Netgear R7000P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikolajek

Occasional Visitor
I'm not a gamer, just need a decent piece of signal distributor over a large apartment. It will get the signal from my ISP-provided crappy router that I'll switch into the bridge mode. At least a couple of wireless devices will be connected to it at the same time, out of which 4-5 will be working simultaneously (so MU-MIMO appreciated). I've got a small internal NAS network, but it is wired, so no reference here.

Both devices seem to have similar capabilities and both score excellent in reviews, so I'm puzzled here. Netgear traditionally was positioned better than TP Link, but considering their latest security issues, I'm a bit hesitant on this brand. I used to be a D-Link fan and I have no experience with Netgear devices at all, and I use a TP Link smart switch, with which I'm really pleased. I've also used TP Link's wifi extender but wasn't too impressed by it.

I've read the reviews, analyzed a couple of threads and still need your advice! :)

I'd go with the Netgear R7000P. Generally better quality hardware than TP-Link, and their firmware development is also a bit more active.

Ignore MU-MIMO - it's more a checkbox feature than something actually worth the hassle. Too many compatibility issues with it.

Security-wise, I'd be more confident in Netgear than TP-Link, considering the software behind their firmware. TP-Link uses a lot of vastly obsolete components, which isn't reassuring.

I prefer TP-Link over NETGEAR. I have various devices from them (wifi routers, switches) and they have a very good build quality (so I have to disagree with RMerlin on this one). I also have to disagree on the "vastly obsolete" components. Have you telnetted into an R7000 and dig around to see how old NETGEAR's components are? I have and it's not pretty.

Also firmware-wise, I prefer TP-Link's GUI interface over the '90s crap from NG. Support-wise, TP-Link seems to support its routers for a few years, then stops pushing updates. I'm not sure how long NG supports them but they also tend to focus on their best-selling devices and let the others lag behind

I also have to disagree on the "vastly obsolete" components. Have you telnetted into an R7000 and dig around to see how old NETGEAR's components are? I have and it's not pretty.

Little chart I compiled about 18 months ago, looking at the flagship of that time for various manufacturers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CJ2kdQILQXydpaFBv9CW4/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

I agree that Netgear is bad there, but TP-Link manages to be even worse in two areas that are highly sensitive (Samba and OpenSSL).

I should revisit this table sometime to see if there's been any improvement.

How much control do vendors have on software for wireless? Qualcomm etc just provide the binary blobs and the vendor software just feeds in parameters like SSIDs and channels right?

My experiences are that even the brands not known to have good software function ok as access points. Wondering if that’s because the drivers where the real action happens are basically common across brands.

I'm not a gamer, just need a decent piece of signal distributor over a large apartment.

in that respect alone the 3150 is better coverage wise , its also got faster throughput on both 2.4 and 5 gig ( when used with the right wireless adapter eg asus pce-ac88 )

of late tbh i see the netgear products more problematic at release where the tp link ( prob because they are basic ) dont seem to be so problematic

i know merlin has a bit of dislike for tp link due to some non updated security concerns but it really does come down to if you are protecting national secrets from the world or just playing games and the like

pete

Last edited:
i know merlin hate a bit of dislike for tp link due to some non updated security concerns but it really does come down to if you are protecting national secrets from the world or just playing games and the like

pete

I'm more concerned by zombies and botnets polluting the Internet and filling everyone's mailboxes with malware and spam than data theft. Manufacturers need to stop being cheap/lazy and start taking their responsibilities more seriously. The vast majority of home gateways are second only to cheap IoT devices right now when it comes to lack of basic security practices.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your remarks!

Well, I lke the TP Link's typical software GUI and allowed functionalities, but obviously I have no experience with Netgear.

What I've found over the web is just the Tp Link's signal coverage is more stable and better distributed, while for Netgear it seems it can be super-strong, but a lot of trial&error is necessary to find the best place. Those are all subjective feelings naturally, collected from opinions of users who set up those devices at their places.

I've also found a direct comparison of the two devices in question that suggest TP Link's product dominating over the Netgear's one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!