1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

How To Update Firmware on N66 in Access Point Mode?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by deserthawk, Sep 29, 2018.

1. deserthawk

deserthawk New Around Here

Hello, new member here. I searched the forums for an answer to my question but didn't find it. Forgive me if this is a repeat question.

I have a Nighthawk 7500 with an Asus RT-N66U set up as an access point. Have ~ 20 devices running on my home network at any given time. Have never updated the firmware on the N66. I updated firmware on the Nighthawk today, thought I'd look at updating the N66 but when I enter 192.68.1.1 I get the Netgear genie not ASUS.

*Do I want to update N66 firmware or should I leave well enough alone?
    *How do I upgrade the N66 as an access point? Manually?

TIA,
    Brian

2. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

you have to look in your network list for IP of Asus-AP. Then it should work.
    Or connect via cable or WiFi to AP-node and disconnect WAN port (to main router), reset AP-node and try again with 192.168.1.1.

If you dont update AP-node I dont think there are many security issues you have to think about.

Kal-EL likes this.
  3. deserthawk

deserthawk New Around Here

Thanks much for the reply Grisu. Setting to work on how to identify my network list now.

4. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

5. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

You might want to at least install a firmware that fixes the Krack issue. That does effect routers in AP mode.

6. agilani

agilani Senior Member

if you did not assign as a static ip address to your ap, you will need to look at your dhcp logs and find find the ip address of the access point. The dhcp log is the best place to find the device as you should be able to identify the mac of the device which should be on a sticker on the ap.