What's new

Installing and running a Shell script on my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phydeauxman

Occasional Visitor
I am completely new to customizing my router (AC1900) outside of putting Merlin FW on it. I recently moved my DNS from DynDNS over to AWS. Obviously, the router has the builtin ability to update with DynDNS but not with AWS. I found a shell script out there someone wrote to do this but not sure how to actually put this on the router and get it to run on a regular basis.

Any pointers?

Thanks for the tip. That link has some great info but I am confused. The way it reads is that those scripts should be in the /jffs/scripts folder but my folder is empty. The script I plan to use came from the site you linked...just in a different location. I read https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS but not sure if I fully understand. Am I supposed to create a folder called ddns-start inside the /fffs/scripts folder and then place the AWS shell script I have in that folder? Does it just automagically get executed when I set DDNS to Custom?

Yes the ddns-start script should be placed in the /jffs/scripts directory. There is nothing in that folder unless you put it there.

I've never used it myself but a cursory glance at the example AWS Route53 script looks like it should be pasted verbatim (changing the keys of course) into the ddns-start file.

Yes the ddns-start script should be placed in the /jffs/scripts directory. There is nothing in that folder unless you put it there.

I've never used it myself but a cursory glance at the example AWS Route53 script looks like it should be pasted verbatim (changing the keys of course) into the ddns-start file.

The script appears to be working but it does not appear to be getting the IP address from the router. I believe th IP address should be passed into the script as $1 but when I echo that out as part of the script...it is blank. The error emails I am getting from MailGun are "There was an error updating <my-domain>.net. to IP address ."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!