What's new

Networking question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartbits

Occasional Visitor
I might have to move my router to a different location and I was wondering if this network setup would work for my use case.

I have an AX82U and I'm thinking of buying an AX58U to create a mesh network.

If my AX82U is connected to my modem, can I use the AX58U in a different location as a wireless mesh node and connect my desktop using ethernet cable to the AX58U to improve latency? Basically, I'm wondering if there would be any improvement in latency if I connect my desktop using ethernet cable to the AX58U or if it would be the same as connecting wirelessly.

Sorry for the noob question, I've just never used more than 1 router at the same time and I'm unsure if this setup would allow me to continue having good latency with my desktop as it's currently connected using ethernet cable to my AX82U but I can't move the desktop to the new location where the router might be moved.

In theory the latency should be better, albeit rather slight. At least it wouldn't be any worse. It would be simple enough for you to test both wired and wireless connections to the AX58U. Or were you comparing a wired connection to the AX58U with a direct wireless connection to the AX82U?

Sorry, I think I did a bad job at explaining myself.

To makes things easier, let's use these examples:

Scenario 1:

- AX82U router is only router in use
- Desktop is 100 feet away and connected wirelessly to AX82U

Scenario 2:
- AX82U is primary router
- AX58U is 100 feet away, used as a wireless mesh node (connected by WIFI to AX82U) and connected directly to my desktop using an ethernet cable.

Would the desktop have better latency in scenario 2

This is something that is impossible to predict. There are too many variables when it comes to wireless connections. Yes, there would be a tiny overhead for the additional ethernet connection but then the wireless connection to the primary router is likely to be better from the node compared to your desktop (but we don't know anything about your desktop's Wi-Fi card). Add to this environmental affects on Wi-Fi, airtime contention from other devices, driver differences, etc, etc....

At the end of the day everyone's situation is unique and this is something you can only determine by testing it for yourself.

This is something that is impossible to predict. There are too many variables when it comes to wireless connections. Yes, there would be a tiny overhead for the additional ethernet connection but then the wireless connection to the primary router is likely to be better from the node compared to your desktop (but we don't know anything about your desktop's Wi-Fi card). Add to this environmental affects on Wi-Fi, airtime contention from other devices, driver differences, etc, etc....

At the end of the day everyone's situation is unique and this is something you can only determine by testing it for yourself.
Thanks for the info. I had assumed that adding a second router would decrease latency but I see your point. If the time comes when I have to move my router and I have too much latency from the desktop, I'll try a mesh setup if I can find a good deal on a router.

Thanks for the info. I had assumed that adding a second router would decrease latency but I see your point. If the time comes when I have to move my router and I have too much latency from the desktop, I'll try a mesh setup if I can find a good deal on a router.

Yeah you may literally be looking at "6 of one, half dozen of the other". The wireless link between routers may be better, but the extra hop will add some latency. Try both and see, most likely the difference will be in the microseconds and not really matter. Whichever one seems to get you better speed and stability is the one to go with (assuming no major difference in latency, which is unlikely).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!