What's new

port forwarding problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piker

Occasional Visitor
I am totally at a loss to work out whats happening here. I've used port forwarding many times in the past and for some reason now its not working.
My router is an Asus AC68U running Merlins 380.63 firmware. My isp connection is public, I have ddns(dnsomatic) setup and working and a managed dns (noip).
I have tried forwarding port 80 of an Arduino device so I can view its admin page from the internet, but it doesn't work. I can view it from inside the LAN network, but not from outside.
Ive used http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and http://www.portchecktool.com/ and they show an open port with no blocking. I've rebooted the router numerous times as well. Is there another setting in Asus Admin that i've missed? I'm running out of ideas myself...

Last edited:
...anyone?...
I've done a full upgrade to latest Merlin and full factory reset....still no luck. Is there a guide somewhere to just show how to setup to get the routers admin page over the internet? If I can get that I should be able to get port forwarding working possibly?

Some ISPs block port 80. Try forwarding a different port.

Some ISPs block port 80. Try forwarding a different port.
Thanks Merlin, but i've tried lots of ports. Also its very strange that 80 seems to be the only port that actually gets recognised by all the port testing sites. The problem is that even when they say its open, I cant access it with my (or anyone elses) mobile phone.

Is your web server firewall configured to accept connections from the Internet? A lot of firewalls default to only allowing connections from the local LAN.

Is your web server firewall configured to accept connections from the Internet? A lot of firewalls default to only allowing connections from the local LAN.
Do you mean the routers firewall or my local Apache server?

Another thing I usually use port forwarding for is to get Paypal (sandboxed) IPN notifications back to my Local Dev php app. I have had this setup for years and its just a matter (usually) of getting Apache to listen to a port (eg 6005) and forwarding that same port in the router to my Dev laptop. I can't open port 6005 now and the port checkers give a "connection refused" error. Next thing i'll look at is if there is some kind of firewall setup on my 3g usb dongle, which is my actual source for the internet. But I doubt if i'll find anything there..

I have forwarded port 6005 in the gui but when I ssh into the router and run 'iptables -nvL' I can't see any mention of port 6005. Shouldn't it be listed ?

Try: iptables -tnat -vnL VSERVER

Try: iptables -tnat -vnL VSERVER
Thanks octopus. Heres the result, it looks ok? The first one is to 6001 on my laptop (Apache) and the second is to another device.

Chain VSERVER (1 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 DNAT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:6001 to:192.168.1.249:6001
0 0 DNAT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:80 to:192.168.1.67:80
10 404 VUPNP all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0

All working well now. Spent this week using netcat and reading up on networking generally and found I had the internal/external port settings on my Arduino device set incorrectly. I also had a setting incorrect in my Apache VHosts.