What's new

Problems using RT-N56U as secondary router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wh7qq

I am using an RT-N56U with factory firmware (3.0.0.4.376.3754) as a secondary router wired via the WAN port to a LAN port on an RT-N66U running TomatoUSB-Shibby 131 which is connected to my ISP modem. The 56U is servicing a PC and a BluRay player on my second floor while the 66U services a PC via ethernet, a Raspberry Pi and a printer via wifi. As it is, the devices connected to the 56U have a double NAT and it seems I cannot maintain the connection of that router to the primary router/internet if I disable the NAT in the WAN>Internet Connection menu on the 56U. Also, the 66U and its connected devices cannot see or ping beyond the 56U (through the NAT) to its connected devices although the devices connected to the secondary router can see everything connected to the primary.

I would like to have the 56U provide wifi connection to the printer because it is much closer and has a more solid signal but at present, the devices on the 66U would not be able to use the printer.

BTW, I am constrained to using the factory firmware on the 56U because I am using Aterlo Nightshift software providing timeshifted Netflix video with a USB drive and that works only with Asus factory firmware.

As it is, the devices connected to the 56U have a double NAT and it seems I cannot maintain the connection of that router to the primary router/internet if I disable the NAT in the WAN>Internet Connection menu on the 56U. Also, the 66U and its connected devices cannot see or ping beyond the 56U (through the NAT) to its connected devices although the devices connected to the secondary router can see everything connected to the primary.

I would like to have the 56U provide wifi connection to the printer because it is much closer and has a more solid signal but at present, the devices on the 66U would not be able to use the printer.
Hi,

Is there a specific need for double-NATing?
I run a similar setup with my two routers (see footer), but the secondary one is configured in Access Point (AP) mode to avoid double-NATing and things work just fine.

With kind regards
Joe

PS.: Regarding stock firmware, you should check Merlin's version which is just a small (but important) enhanced version of the Asus one.

I am using an RT-N56U with factory firmware (3.0.0.4.376.3754) as a secondary router wired via the WAN port to a LAN port on an RT-N66U running TomatoUSB-Shibby 131 which is connected to my ISP modem. The 56U is servicing a PC and a BluRay player on my second floor while the 66U services a PC via ethernet, a Raspberry Pi and a printer via wifi. As it is, the devices connected to the 56U have a double NAT and it seems I cannot maintain the connection of that router to the primary router/internet if I disable the NAT in the WAN>Internet Connection menu on the 56U. Also, the 66U and its connected devices cannot see or ping beyond the 56U (through the NAT) to its connected devices although the devices connected to the secondary router can see everything connected to the primary.

BTW, I am constrained to using the factory firmware on the 56U because I am using Aterlo Nightshift software providing timeshifted Netflix video with a USB drive and that works only with Asus factory firmware.

Double Nat can cause problems. Here's the issue.

Communications going out from double natted router: Probably works ok. SPI allows communications you originated to find their way back.

Communications coming in to double natted router: You need port forwarding and persistence. Assume the double natted router is 192.168.1.25 on your main network. It's managing DHCP on it's own corner of your network. The 192.168.1.25 is 'multiplexed' into as many addresses as needed on the inside network. An inbound communication would need to be addressed to 192.168.1.25:xxxx, where xxxx is the port waiting to hear from the remote sender. The main router has no idea of what this is. Thus, the need for port forwarding. uPNP is useless, or mostly so in this case.

I am unfamiliar with the entertainment software you mention, but Padavan's RTN56U firmware is pretty good. setting up a client bridge might be of help. I don't think there is Merlin firmware for a RTN56U. A simple access point might be a good idea too, depending on your layout.

Last edited:
Hi,

Is there a specific need for double-NATing?
I run a similar setup with my two routers (see footer), but the secondary one is configured in Access Point (AP) mode to avoid double-NATing and things work just fine.

With kind regards
Joe

PS.: Regarding stock firmware, you should check Merlin's version which is just a small (but important) enhanced version of the Asus one.

Thanks for the response. I do not need the double NAT at all...I think I tried the AP mode before and had some problems but will try again. Simply disabling the NAT does not work...cannot access the outside world.
As for Padavan's firmware (Merlin doesn't do the 56U), I just don't know. The NightShift firmware lives in a USB stick and installs opt or entware...not sure which...that downloads video files from Netflix during my ISP's free period to the USB stick. The company has so far been unable to get it working on firmware other than straight up Asus...at this time, they only provide service to certain Asus routers and I have not had the courage to try to run it with Padavan's firmware.
I run the 66U/TomatoUSB up front to get decent monitoring capability not provided by Asus, and a few other features. Were I not on such a restricted usage plan, I would simply run the 66U up front with Asus firmware and serve all the devices with it.

Thanks for the response. I do not need the double NAT at all...I think I tried the AP mode before and had some problems but will try again. Simply disabling the NAT does not work...cannot access the outside world....

I broke down and selected the AP mode but had to switch the primary router input to a LAN port on the 56U and then go through setting up the IP on the desktop and setting up the new wireless connection on the 56U. Now everything on my network seems to find everything else...so thanks to joegreat and AdvHomeServer for the advice.

I actually did try this connection method before and for some reason, it did not connect properly...complex of physical and software issues that have to be just so to work.

Last edited: