What's new

QoS causes network issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adoz

Regular Contributor
For some reason when I enable QoS on my 68U, no matter what settings, certain programs or websites have issues loading. For example, my cable box (Foxtel) will connect to the internet but wont load anything such as film thumbnails or the store. Some game launchers wont load or allow me to connect at all. YouTube sometimes wont load videos and livestreams sometimes give me network failed errors.

This issue seemed to pop up after upgrading to 380.68_2. I'm currently on 380.68_4 and still get the issue. It effects all devices connected, all of them are also over wifi. Anyone else got this issue?

have you set the bandwidth correctly and did you chose FQ_Codel and also set your wan packet overhead? Have you tested a factory reset?

have you set the bandwidth correctly and did you chose FQ_Codel and also set your wan packet overhead? Have you tested a factory reset?

I get 11 down and 0.8 up on ADSL 2+ (Australia). I set the bandwidth to 10 down and 0.6 up. Both FQ_Codel and sfq have the same issues. I didn't set the wan packet overhead on 380.68_4 but on _2 I did and I still had the issue, unless I chose the wrong drop down option? I've tried multiple resets.

I'm ausse as well :p, which is you encapsulation, pppoe llc or vc based?
I'm using vdsl2(FTTN) 95 down 37 up

Oh yeah, didn't see your location :rolleyes:. I have no idea what that means sorry, haha. I'm with Bigpond if that says anything? haha.

Third party modem or one from telstra?
I'm going to guess it's pppoe llc if Yor modem is in bridge mode.

Yuck telstra modem, I'd get a tplink td-8817 and bridge that, unless Yor getting vdsl2 then I'd suggest that you get a dreytek Vigor 130, it also works on adsl but it's amazing on vdsl2 aka fibre to the node.

Use the rfc1483 bridge llc/ snap preset for fq_codel.

Sweet, I'll have a look for that TP modem. Thanks.

I tried the rfc setting. As soon as I enable QoS the issues seem to continue, even with that preset. Foxtel refuses to load anything and Twitch livestreams arn't loading. The only test I can do for the game launcher is the Unreal Launcher for the game Fortnite, for some reason enabling QoS doesn't let me load up their launcher, I'm assuming it also effects other games. I don't understand how this issue started haha :(.

its probs to do with the telstra modem i used to be with thm thier modems were horrible. Im with optus now on nbn FTTN (fiber to the node aka vdsl2)

Yeah I would like to get rid of the tesltra modem, never been a fan of it. How come this issue only started since 380.68_2 though? Before then QoS worked fine.

My guess is a firmware upgrade from telstra around the same time.

Is there any way to see if my telstra modem is up to date? I looked around on the modem for a while and it was coral 15.1 I believe. However, when I put it back into bridge mode it actually updated as is now currently 10.3.V.A. My modem is the technicolor tg587n v3.

firmware version it usually auto updates id replace it to be honest you'll be better off in the long run, isp units are notorious for issues.

So I don't know if it was the update for the telstra modem, but I changed the WAN setting on the 68U to PPPoE instead of Automatic IP and somehow I now have QoS enabled and everything is working fine. So maybe the router was having some issues?

You only use automatic ip on nbn with optus or telstra, also make sure your qos is not set to automatic bandwidth that's for 10gb connection. Adsl uses pppoe some nbn providers use pppoe.

And automatic ip was the issue wrong connection method for adsl.