What's new

QOS on the rtn66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sabot105mm

Regular Contributor
i find it hard to get good results with QOS. if for example i want youtube to have more priority over downloads thats quite easy, but when i want to play a video game on steam while downloading a game from steam, it dosnt work all that well. this is possible because i did it on tomato. i know the ports steam uses for downloads and the ports for the game left4dead2 so that isnt a problem.
what i like about tomato is you could constrain the priority of the download Bandwidth in a range percentage, adn you cant do that in asuswrt... why.....
if im doing something wrong help me do it right

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
I've been playing with QoS again, and i like using settings like thus:

remove everything.

53 udp highest
53 tcp high
22 both highest (last resort if qos gums up; if you use this regularly for tunnels, i'd set this at 'high'.)
80 tcp high
80 udp highest
443 both high
27000:27100 udp highest
27000:27100 tcp high

i use everything with bandwidth set to 100% under priorities, pretty basic. leave torrent ports undefined. add game server ports to highest as needed, etc.

there's pretty much always a hit with tcp traffic, and the amount of connections torrent traffic makes. qos basically just gives back the priority of the connection as quickly as possible for low latency applications this way. i haven't noticed significant performance difference from checking the tcp options at the priorities page, so i leave them all unchecked, including icmp.

i've tried leaving port 80 undefined to see if it would prevent any fluxuations for the game traffic marked highest, but it only made this a lot worse. it seems choosing to not process traffic helps most with udp traffic. in the case of torrent traffic alone, my games don't fluxate in ping at all. add a single tcp stream though, and buffering does cause ping to jump, but not as significantly or for as long as when leaving http undefined.

what is your internet connection?

i have 10mb dsl, my ping usually jumps from a normal 50ms to ~100ms during high bandwidth tcp buffering. it's usually pretty short when the ping is up and doesn't fluxuate wildly.

i don't really see ping go up when tcp downloads are less than a few megabit down, though

you could try limiting bandwidth for everything set high under priorities to not use more than like 3mbit of your total connection, down, which i believe is a per connection basis method of capping bandwidth, rather than allocating 3mbit to the entire 'high' category.

Last edited: