What's new

Questions: Asus RT-AC68U and Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vaprasad

New Around Here
Saw the feature article "AC1900 Router Wireless Retest" which came down to splitting hairs to decide... there are a few things I'm looking to find out that weren't covered.

1) Do either of these have an IPV6 Firewall from the first-party firmwares? I know with the AC-68U, Merlin firmware offers an IPV6 firewall.

2) In wireless bridge mode, is there an option to force protocol (N, AC?) or does the bridge negotiate to the fastest available protocol for the associated SSID(s)? Can the bridge be associated with multiple SSIDs (per-protocol SSIDs on the associating router)?

3) Since 802.11ac has been officially ratified, are either of these now considered 802.11ac final certified?

Hardware doesn't get certified; the spec's do. (I think).

Hardware just needs to be tested to verify it complies with the specs.

1) Do either of these have an IPV6 Firewall from the first-party firmwares? I know with the AC-68U, Merlin firmware offers an IPV6 firewall.
Depends on what you mean by IPv6 firewall. Both support IPv6 for WAN connection.

2) In wireless bridge mode, is there an option to force protocol (N, AC?) or does the bridge negotiate to the fastest available protocol for the associated SSID(s)? Can the bridge be associated with multiple SSIDs (per-protocol SSIDs on the associating router)?
Operating mode is set by the root side of the bridge, i.e. the main router. The R7000 provides only simple maximum link rate setting. You can't force the 802.11a protocol directly.

WDS bridges work by MAC address. Client bridge mode works by association with one SSID.

3) Since 802.11ac has been officially ratified, are either of these now considered 802.11ac final certified?
There is only Wi-Fi certification, which the RT-AC68U has. NETGEAR says they plan to get the R7000 certified, but it isn't yet.

Heads up to anyone curious:
1 media bridge mode removes static IP from the AC68-U. It becomes a DHCP client.
2 router mode on AC68-U only allows: Auto, Legacy, or AC+N. On AC+N, AC will always take the 5GHz band. And N will always be on 2.5GHz. If there is a way to use N on 5GHz, someone please let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Heads up to anyone curious:
1 media bridge mode removes static IP from the AC68-U. It becomes a DHCP client.
2 router mode on AC68-U only allows: Auto, Legacy, or AC+N. On AC+N, AC will always take the 5GHz band. And N will always be on 2.5GHz. If there is a way to use N on 5GHz, someone please let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There should be a setting in your router to set it to N only. If its not there then devices that are 5Ghz N, will still connect to the router with no issues at N speed on 5Ghz band.

5Ghz band is backwards compatible even on AC routers.