What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing out of the ordinary here as far as configuration, but I am willing to assist, as always, if it would be helpful.

Why can't I use 192.168.1.255 or 127.0.0.1 ip for pixelsever ip? when I try to use 192.168.1.255 it give me an error saying "no respond" and if I use 127.0.0.1 it's in syslog " Abort: Address already in use - :127.0.0.1:80" .. Any advice will be appreciated

127.0.0.1 is the local loopback, which isn't accessible from the outside.

192.168.1.255 is a broadcast address, and therefore not a valid IP.

127.0.0.1 is the local loopback, which isn't accessible from the outside.

192.168.1.255 is a broadcast address, and therefore not a valid IP.
Thanks .. and if you can also advice what will be best switches for pixelserv to use for optimal result in adblocking

Thanks .. and if you can also advice what will be best switches for pixelserv to use for optimal result in adblocking

No idea, I've never looked at pixelserv.

No need to add any switches.... AB3 will work fine with pixelserv in vanilla configuration for a "standard" install.

Why can't I use 192.168.1.255 or 127.0.0.1 ip for pixelsever ip? when I try to use 192.168.1.255 it give me an error saying "no respond" and if I use 127.0.0.1 it's in syslog " Abort: Address already in use - :127.0.0.1:80" .. Any advice will be appreciated
Did you install pixelserv with AB-Solution?
Because if you did then you clearly did not follow the on-screen suggestions of what range of IP addresses you can enter.
I'm tempted to build in even more checks.

As @tomsk writes, there is no need for adding switches unless you have a specific reason to add one.
The pixelserv-tls installation done by AB-Solution is already optimized as per @kvic's helpful suggestions.

Did you install pixelserv with AB-Solution?
Because if you did then you clearly did not follow the on-screen suggestions of what range of IP addresses you can enter.
I'm tempted to build in even more checks.
Cant help thinking its odd that this OP went for the loopback and broadcast IPs...... displays enough knowledge to know not to try this..... but checks are always good...another loophole you can avoid.

Cant help thinking its odd that this OP went for the loopback and broadcast IPs...... displays enough knowledge to know not to try this..... but checks are always good...another loophole you can avoid.
A few more lines of code might not hurt. Saves support questions later...
I was just wondering why the .255 address was even accepted as input. I checked the code and see that it goes through, wrong comparison operator. Instead of -gt 255 it should be -ge.

I am having this issue when I run "ps", please advise. note i have download manager installed on ac88u which looks to be in /tmp/opt/

AB-Solution 3: pixelserv-tls install

checking your system

testing if 'ifconfig br0 up' works on your system
this appears to be working, continuing

found a folder named opt at
/tmp/opt

but Entware does not appear to be running.
Please investigate first.

-------------------------------------------------

Based on the check above, pixelserv-tls
is not available for install with AB-Solution

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu

EDIT: fix was just to remove symbolic link opt in tmp folder which pointed to the asuss download manager which i dont even use anyways

Can you post the steps to achieve your results? I'm new and can't figure what your saying.

Can you post the steps to achieve your results? I'm new and can't figure what your saying.
@akb had the Download Master installed (USB application / Download Master)
You may have to uninstall it and reboot or remove the symlink to it in /tmp

@akb had the Download Master installed (USB application / Download Master)
You may have to uninstall it and reboot or remove the symlink to it in /tmp

How do you remove symlink from tmp? Sorry I'm not that smart when it comes to Linux.

Asus download manager make use of "Optware" which is a package manager similar to Entware Unfortunately the two cannot co-exist which is why @akb had to remove the optware symlink. There are other alternatives to download manager in entware if you want to use AB and have the same functionality.

If you never installed the download manager in the first place the symlink won't be there

How do you remove symlink from tmp? Sorry I'm not that smart when it comes to Linux.
This would be a link in the tmp folder.
But before I give you a specific command I want to see what this DM installs. Never used it.
I might build in checks for that too...

Arrgghhh...cloudflare i hate you ...... I'm trying to give the OP the command to find out where the symlink is pointing but it keeps blocking me...... http://pastebin.com/BsTWxaBb

Arrgghhh...cloudflare i hate you ...... I'm trying to give the OP the command to find out where the symlink is pointing but it keeps blocking me...... http://pastebin.com/BsTWxaBb
I know exactly which command without even looking at the pastebin, I wanted to suggest this, in phonetic: el ess -el a

I know exactly which command without even looking at the pastebin, I wanted to suggest this, in phonetic: el ess -el a
Hahaha... yup i thought of going the same way...must have thought of half a dozen ways to try and get the message across phonetically. But in the end i decided it would probably confuse even more, so i gave up and pastebinned it.

Now that I installed Download Master on one of my unfortunate routers it is clear to me where the 'entware-ng' and 'entware-ng.arm' folder name convention comes from.
DM installs into the 'asusware.arm' folder on the device.
It still is a mystery to me why one would name it like that but I'm glad I added the support for 'entware-ng.arm' folders in the upcoming PS addon update.

Should have coded this in right from the start, but looking at the extra code I had to add, it was simply too much at the time.
Too many other things had to work 100% to even support pre-installed Entware installs.

There's your error, if another task uses more RAM than usual, it will fail as the sorting uses a lot of memory. Watch this and use a custom hosts list to make it smaller if necessary.
I did my own workaround, which could be incorporated as an option in ABS.

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=./swapfile bs=1k count=256000
  2. mkswap swapfile
  3. swapon swapfile
  4. Run the update from within ab-solution.sh
  5. swapoff -a
My question still remains if there's an option anywhere or a way to turn off autoupdate? As it runs of out memory every time I have to repeat the steps above manually each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.