What's new

RT-AC66U - VPN service to only one device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radar2000

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone.

I have an RT-AC66U router running on the latest asus firmware.

I was wondering if there is a way that I could connect a VPN service through the router and then have that VPN service only applied to one specific device (not all wifi/lan devices).

If there is any step by step instructions that someone can point me towards to, that would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I was wondering if there is a way that I could connect a VPN service through the router and then have that VPN service only applied to one specific device (not all wifi/lan devices).
Hi,

"Selective routing" is your fried for this:
Enable it in the VPN settings via "Redirect Internet traffic" = "Policy rules" and then you can add "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel (Max Limit : 100)". :cool:

That requires running my firmware. Stock firmware does not allow selective routing.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll download your fw and will give the instructions a try.

Cheers!

RMerlin.
Does your firmware have the WTfast client on?
I want the same setup as radar.(vpn to PS4) but dont want toget rid of WTfast as they will be updating games over time.
FIFA needs the vpn because my isp is hindering my outgoing packets.

Either that or i get 3 vlans and run tomato on the spare ac66u....needs 1 vlan for the movistar decoder.(are 3 vlans available?)
Bit of a novice at this level.
What would be my best option or am i stuck till ASUS decide to improve their firmware?

RMerlin.
Does your firmware have the WTfast client on?

Either that or i get 3 vlans and run tomato on the spare ac66u....needs 1 vlan for the movistar decoder.(are 3 vlans available?)

The WTFast client is there, but not the Movistar vlan profile yet.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

One question Merlin.
Source and destination IP.
Source shows the IP's i have connected to the router so no issue.
But destination???
Thanks

One question Merlin.
Source and destination IP.
Source shows the IP's i have connected to the router so no issue.
But destination???
Thanks

No idea, I never really looked at WTFast.

Got there in the end.
Redirect internet.
Set up ps4 in fixed ip mode and applied to policy rules in redirect internet.
Used second ip box as 0.0.0.0.
Blocked vpn access to laptop but ps4 was still connected.

perfecto.

Hi,

I have an ASUS RT-AC1750 B1.

My understaning is that the version of Merlin to install is the same one listed for RT-AC68U:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac1750-and-merlin.38888/

Question 1:

Is the above statement accurate? Do I download and install this:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ro...-AC68U-AsusWrt-Merlin-Firmware-380-68-0.shtml
"ASUS RT-AC68U AsusWrt-Merlin Firmware 380.68.0"

Question 2:
My asuswrt firmware version is: 3.0.0.4.380_7743 (latest for the router at this time).

I am confused by this statement here:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Ro...-AC68U-AsusWrt-Merlin-Firmware-380-68-0.shtml

"Before you consider downloading this firmware, go to the system information page of the router and make sure that the currently installed version isn't either newer or matching this release."

Both the regular and merlin versions contain "380.x". Does this mean I can't install it?

The reason I want Merlin is to selectively route only some (well, one to be exact) devices through VPN (ethernet connection) and all others (wireless) should not use the VPN. The interface I have currently lacks these options and I believe Merlin will add them:

""Selective routing" is your fried for this:
Enable it in the VPN settings via "Redirect Internet traffic" = "Policy rules" and then you can add "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel (Max Limit : 100)"

[https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-vpn-service-to-only-one-device.30159/]

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!