What's new

Running Merlin 378.56_2 and unable to mount JFFS partition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Retreat

New Around Here
Hi All,

First off, I want to state that I'm a newbie to this forum, so if I don't know the rules yet, please be gentle and point me in the right direction! I appreciate the assistance!

I'm using the Asus RT-AC68W router and I'm trying to follow the directions for how to direct traffic over VPN:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...ver-VPN-and-Drop-connections-if-VPN-goes-down

The guide doesn't appear to be up to date, but the directions were clear enough for me to follow with enough follow-up reading. After lots of reading, I discovered that enable JFFS option is enabled by default now, which solved one of my questions, but now I'm having difficulty mounting the JFFS partition.

I've installed WinSCP and can connect to the router and see the Root folder, but when I double click on the Root folder, I don't see the JFFS partition that's noted in directions above. I've tried to reboot my router on a number of occasions and I still don't see this folder. After further research and lots of trial and error, I discovered that I can use Putty to telenet to the router and use command line, for which I determined that I could use the command:
mtd-erase2 -d jffs2

to delete the partition and see if there any errors in regards to bad memory blocks. I tried that and ran dmesg | more, but didn't see anything similar to the errors here:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/jffs-not-mounting-read-only-error.8376/

Since I am extremely new to Merlin and all this modding on a router, it's a bit overwhelming, though I think I might be really close and I'm just missing some extra step or two.

Would anyone be able to assist? Thanks in advance!

Ignore this guide. Everything can be done on the webui now. There's a setting to enable policy-based routing, as well as an option to block Internet access if the tunnel goes down.

I am having the same issue, can't mount the JFFS, wanted to do that in order to install Entware..

Entware setup says:

Code:
 Info:  This script will guide you through the Entware-Arm installation.
 Info:  Script modifies only "entware.arm" folder on the chosen drive,
 Info:  no other data will be touched. Existing installation will be
 Info:  replaced with this one. Also some start scripts will be installed,
 Info:  the old ones will be saved on partition where Entware is installed
 Info:  like /tmp/mnt/sda1/jffs_scripts_backup.tgz

*** Error:  Please "Enable JFFS partition" & "JFFS custom scripts and configs"
 *** Error:  from router web UI: www.asusrouter.com/Advanced_System_Content.asp
 *** Error:  then reboot router and try again. Exiting...

But, JFFS is formatted, custom scripts is enabled, already rebooted. Oh, and I attached a newly EXT4 formatted thumb-drive.

Attachments

• merlin.png
    merlin.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 1,530
I am having the same issue, can't mount the JFFS, wanted to do that in order to install Entware..

But, JFFS is formatted, custom scripts is enabled, already rebooted. Oh, and I attached a newly EXT4 formatted thumb-drive.
Hi,

Which firmware version you are using on your RT-AC68U router? :rolleyes:
Did you try to format a 2nd time? Select "Format on next reboot" and reboot - sometimes you need to do this twice to make it work. :eek:

By the way: Did you check via telnet/putty commands if the /jffs partition is existing and formatted??? df and mount are your friends for this task... :oops:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Thanks for your swift and thorough answer Joe. I am using 378.56_2 on a RT-AC68U.

I rebooted twice after selecting the format option, yeah.

Code:
$ ssh 192.168.1.1
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Nov  2 14:58:44 UTC 2015
jeroen@RT-AC68U-74C0:/tmp/home/root# ls -la /jffs
drwxr-xr-x    2 jeroen   root             3 Nov  2 15:46 .
drwxr-xr-x   18 jeroen   root           337 Nov  2 15:46 ..
jeroen@RT-AC68U-74C0:/tmp/home/root# mount
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127752k,nr_inodes=31938,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

Seems JFFS isn't mounted.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!