What's new

Speeds DRAMATICALLY Decrease When Enabling QoS/Not Setting Correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biggage

New Around Here
I'm using a RT-N66R with the most recent 380.68_4 FW, but this was happening on the last few FW at least as far as I remember.

Issue I'm having is when I enable the QoS in Traffic Manager and hit apply my speeds drop to around 250 Kbps and stay there until I revert the change. My internet speed is 70 Mb down and 6 Mb up. I want to prioritize my PS4 to the highest level however this bug it seems will not allow me to do so. This happens with both Traditional method and Limiter method selected and I have the bandwidths set to 65 down and 5.5 up.

Ignore me - misread your statement

Ah, it does this even when I have no priorities made yet? Interesting, thank you for the help.

These are my settings. Of my 46Mb sync speed I can use about 44Mb with QoS on (and the full 46 with it off).
I read your statement as “by 250kbps” rather than “to 250kbps”

These work perfectly for me, obviously you can put gaming at the top for your needs!

fa2efb597011dbf63e9bbe0a3fe58e86.jpg

e011fa021ee9cdccbedf2674271a65c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a RT-N66R with the most recent 380.68_4 FW, but this was happening on the last few FW at least as far as I remember.

Issue I'm having is when I enable the QoS in Traffic Manager and hit apply my speeds drop to around 250 Kbps and stay there until I revert the change. My internet speed is 70 Mb down and 6 Mb up. I want to prioritize my PS4 to the highest level however this bug it seems will not allow me to do so. This happens with both Traditional method and Limiter method selected and I have the bandwidths set to 65 down and 5.5 up.
Do you know which connection type you have eg, cable, adsl, vdsl, fibre, this is for purpose of packet overhead, also id advise testing freshjr's qos script.

Biggage, I stopped using QoS at all on my N66 (and other router) and loosened up my bandwidth percentages. QoS was eating too many cycles and killing my bandwidth down, not that I have much up. The N66 is mostly for backup duty. Just a thought

Biggage, I stopped using QoS at all on my N66 (and other router) and loosened up my bandwidth percentages. QoS was eating too many cycles and killing my bandwidth down, not that I have much up. The N66 is mostly for backup duty. Just a thought
I belive your unit doesn't have the raw horse power required for qos.

ARM units with trend micro qos, are better for qos wither automatic or manual.

Vexira, Yes sir, the N66 isn't as fast as it was back in it's day. It had decent specs when it came out, but that was before I needed more HP for video streaming and other work. I snagged a new N66W on sale for $40 back in 2013; it's still a great backup router and/or AP. The gigabit ports make it a nice video-box switcher. It will be a nice gift at some point and my RT-AC 3200's dual-core has enough HP for bandwidth/QoS rules.

IMO, TM and QoS bogs the N66W so painfully, that it reminds me of pushing my Harley uphill in the mud, when I was still young and strong. People and routers age, and we adapt and learn new tricks. Depending on your tasks/rules, using a quality, intelligent switch after the router can help with QoS.

As for Trend Micro, I've never cared to allow my data wander out on field trips, to be perused by corporate security services. "To each, their own" is a fair philosophy, but the N66 doesn't have HP to run TM and auto-QoS. I've tried TM and auto-QoS on every Asus router I've bought, and every time, turned them off. The N66 can do good work as long as it doesn't have to be a dancing pony, like it's younger brothers. Cheers.

All the modern smart phones have telemetry even the TV's answer computerers, you can't escape it, you can disable the parts of trend that phone home which is the link scanner, tends qos is quite impressive to say the least.

Vexira, agreed! Our router tech is astounding when compared to some mainframes I worked with. Without RMerlin's work, Asus would be in router bargain basements. Example, we bought a new Linksys AC1950 with extender for $30. It'll never be an Asus, can't run Merlin's code, but it's a spare. We shut down our smart TV telemetry, as well our other devices, before most knew of government and advertiser abuse. When anything is connected to the net, all bets are off. We do what we can. Blurays look great on a 4K TV even when you get old. Was amazed to learn Google picked up their echo-like device, then recalled thousands, after the buyer documented it was transmitting everything, in spite of the off button. The data was stored in unencrypted form. Like all things google, it can't be erased until the grid goes dark. What users don't know or can learn about will bite them. Spying and abuse from uncontrollable tech, like hundreds of billions of IoT junk devices, grants awesome power to dark people, infesting the nets and connected devices. A fridge now has a TV in the door and can order a bottle of beer to be delivered to you, or you could buy it at the shop; that's what Letterman used to call, stupid human tricks. Lumia 640 cellphones sold out for $25 last year. We removed the chip and it makes a nice camera. The battery comes out, but we can't use a smart phone; too far from civilization and no towers. They're all illegally monitored by police, and the monthly mobile bill would ruin medicare for us. The Lumia can't be mistaken for an iphone, but would've gotten astronauts to the moon, without 1202 alarms. Our tech is about genius, benefit and and choice, as long as we don't take it or ourselves for granted, or too seriously:)

and the model you mentioned does not have trend micro, only the 87u and newer, aslo one 68 model has it.

Vexira, agreed! Our router tech is astounding when compared to some mainframes I worked with. Without RMerlin's work, Asus would be in router bargain basements. Example, we bought a new Linksys AC1950 with extender for $30. It'll never be an Asus, can't run Merlin's code, but it's a spare. We shut down our smart TV telemetry, as well our other devices, before most knew of government and advertiser abuse. When anything is connected to the net, all bets are off. We do what we can. Blurays look great on a 4K TV even when you get old. Was amazed to learn Google picked up their echo-like device, then recalled thousands, after the buyer documented it was transmitting everything, in spite of the off button. The data was stored in unencrypted form. Like all things google, it can't be erased until the grid goes dark. What users don't know or can learn about will bite them. Spying and abuse from uncontrollable tech, like hundreds of billions of IoT junk devices, grants awesome power to dark people, infesting the nets and connected devices. A fridge now has a TV in the door and can order a bottle of beer to be delivered to you, or you could buy it at the shop; that's what Letterman used to call, stupid human tricks. Lumia 640 cellphones sold out for $25 last year. We removed the chip and it makes a nice camera. The battery comes out, but we can't use a smart phone; too far from civilization and no towers. They're all illegally monitored by police, and the monthly mobile bill would ruin medicare for us. The Lumia can't be mistaken for an iphone, but would've gotten astronauts to the moon, without 1202 alarms. Our tech is about genius, benefit and and choice, as long as we don't take it or ourselves for granted, or too seriously:)
convenience or security its a necessary evil I even noticed net get has telemetry built into their new routers its an open in or out like trend, I don't mind if trend uses heuristics to detect which game I'm playing to give me lower ping, or that I'm running a voip ata to priotise its traffic, or my xbox one to see that I'm watching Netflix, and it picks up that steams downloading game updates, so they don't get suck all the bandwidth slowing down net Netflix or YouTube stream, I have a lumia 1520 and a 950xl, I'm not an apple fan, I phones make me uncomfortable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!