What's new

Subnetting/vlan with wireless repeaters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unrealdude24

Occasional Visitor
What I'm trying to do is set up a wireless repeater with a different SSID. I have an Asus RT-AC86U set up as a wireless repeater with a different SSID and it seems to work fine. What I would like to do is set it up such that devices that connect to the repeater SSID are assigned IP's on a different subnet.

My main router is one provided by my ISP which I plan on replacing, probably with a RT-AC5300.

In repeater mode, NAT and DHCP is disabled on the slave router and uses the main routers DHCP to get their assigned IPs. Is there a way to set it up such that depending on which SSID a device is connected to, assign them an IP under a different subnet?

I thought about 2 ways of doing this.

1. Have another DHCP server running on the slave router as well assigning in a different subnet. Then I can set up a static route on the main router so that traffic can pass through to the WAN. How would I go about enabling the DHCP server in repeater mode if I went with this option?

2. Use one DHCP server and set it up some sort of custom configuration that will assign IPs under a different subnet based on which router the device connects to. I don't know if this is even possible.

Any suggestions is appreciated on how I can go about achieving this. Maybe with a custom firmware like tomato or openwrt,

I know ideally get wired connection to the second router and set it up as an access point but wired isn't an option and I'd like the clients isolated based on which router they connect to.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!