What's new

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND (review request)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
Here's the top of the line for home Wireless N Series from TP-LINK.

Wireless N Gigabit Router
Atheros, 2.4GHz 802.11n/g/b, 3TdR, built-in Gigabit 4-port switch

Not noted it suppose to feature WDS.

Last edited:
Update!

Product Name: Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
Model Number: TL-WR1043ND

- Wireless N speed up to 300Mbps
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB2.0 port
- 3T3R MIMO, SST, CCA technologies deliver greater coverage and higher speed
- Wireless Security encryption easily at a push of “QSS” button
- Built-in QoS, supports WDS Bridge
- Backward compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g devices

In the future, please just edit your original post.

Unlikely we'll review this anytime soon.

No problem .. It's showing at the CES 2009.

I'll keep an eye out for it when I do FCC updates.

Thanks jdabbs!

Data Udpate

Key features:

Throughput of up to 180Mbps, data rate upto 300Mbps
Gigabit Ethernet backbone for maximun speeds
USB 2.0 port, integrated network storage function

That review is of the TL-WR941N.

That review is of the TL-WR941N.

WOW! I'll have to check that.. I thought it was model, they make them look the same at TP-LINK.

Here are some comparisons between the 2 versions. I'll see if I can get more info from TP-LINK China, they seem welling to share info on all their products but they don't have it documented though.

300M Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
TL-WR1043ND Ultimate wireless N Gigabit Router, Atheros, 3T3R, 2.4GHz, 802.11n Draft 2.0, 802.11g/b, Built-in Vitesse 4-port Gigabit Switch, USB 2.0 network storage with 3 detachable antennas --

300M Advanced Wireless N Router
TL-WR941ND Advanced wireless N Router, Atheros, 3T3R, 2.4GHz, 802.11n Draft 2.0, 802.11g/b, Built-in 4-port Switch, with 3 detachable antennas

Last edited:
The gigabit switch may be the only significant difference between the two routers, since the AR9103 (used in the 941) is Atheros's current 3T3R 2.4 GHz radio. Newer radios are 2T2R.

I would not expect them to upgrade the CPU as the baseband is integrated with it.

They should, don't know yet?

I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Radio-wise, I went to the source: Atheros website
The newest 3T3R design is the AR9001 family, of which the AR9103 is most likely since the 1043 is a 2.4 GHz only device. Could TP-Link be working with an unannounced Atheros radio? I doubt it; the AR9002 family was mentioned in press releases long before products hit market.

The CPU is contingent upon the radio prediction being true. With the 941, the AR9103 is paired with the CPU/BB AR9132; this could be changed by using the discrete BB AR9160 like on the DIR-825 A1, but this is more expensive as you still require a CPU. It is possible, but I believe that runs counter to TP-Link's trend of low-cost hardware.

Hopefully the 1043 passes through the FCC soon so we have to rely less on speculation. If either the Atheros-based or 3T3R characteristics are false, then the predictions are probably wrong, but based on the current information, the parts listed (in my belief) are the most likely outcome.

I was referring to the CPU upgrade or not. Might be the same one found in the TL-WR941ND/N.

I had contacted TP-LINK in China/Twain also USA support. Never heard from USA side but China was helpful with next day system engineer answers.
I was interested in the following switches that range in price starting with the first one $25.99, $25.99, $32.99 and $112.99 in USD funds.

TL-SF1016D
16-port 10/100
Case: Plastic/Heat sink/
Jumbo Frames: Don’t support
Mac Address Table: 1K
Memory Buffer: 2.72MB
Backbone (throughput) 32GB

TL-SG1005D
5-port 10/100/1000
Jumbo Frames: 9728Byte
Mac Address Table: 1K
Memory Buffer: 896KB
Backbone (throughput) 10GB

TL-SG1008D
8-port 10/100/1000
Jumbo Frames: 9728Byte
Mac Address Table: 8K
Memory Buffer: 1MB
Backbone (throughput) 16GB

TL-SG1024
24-port 10/100/1000
Case: Metal/Heat sink/Fan
Jumbo Frames: 10K
Mac Address Table: 8K
Memory Buffer: 4MB
Backbone (throughput) 48GB

I've heard back from TP-LINK. The official word is that item has not be released yet! But they did say that the specs might change when it's finally released.

I had decided to try out one of their network products myself the TG-3269/TG-3201 rated at 20/200/2000mbps that's Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. It has 4 green amber LED lights on it. One of my GEA from Encore was having issues. This TP-LINK card is quick. I going to get another one for my other clone box I had built. RoHS rated.

I'll keep you all updated when I get more info back from TP-LINK.

I might pick-up this router to test since is cost $20 bucks more than ESR-9850 does and see how it does?

400MHz WNPU Atheros
32MB of RAM it can be mod to 64MB (if you're good with soldering gun)
20dbm x 3dbi = 60mW according to TP-Link that's pretty high for this class
Realtek Gig PCI base Controller so 832KB for Packet Buffering (norm now)
USB for real time NAS, (can't confirm that)
MSC = 65,000 (can't confirm that one though)

Found the Emulator for it called Simulator though!
http://www.cormain.com.au/demo/TPTLWR1043ND/default.htm

Lots of features in the stock firmware and bandwidth control interesting.
Very interesting you can set the Channel width from Auto, 20Hz, 40Hz and the Max Tx Rate from 1mbps to 300mbps
I like the way they have links to the features then show you what it can do with help connection.
Thats for for users who don't know much about routers.

OpenWRT has the FCC ID photos and more spec talk
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd?s

Last edited: