What's new

Use old config from current firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pplante19

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone, I was looking for a way to monitor all people connected to my router and finally found this, I will try it.

But before going ahead, I have a small question.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U with firmware 3.0.0.4.260.

I'm planning to install the latest version (3.0.0.4.372.31) from here : http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12035

I have many configurations under my current setup, one of those is that every device had his IP attached inside my house for various reasons (FTP, NAS, scripts, etc.)

What I want to know is, if I make a backup of the current setup with 3.0.0.4.260, will I be able to load it inside Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 or do I have to start all over again?

If it works, does it works 'well' or you are recommending me to start from scratch to get the best setup?

Thanks a lot.

Settings

When you upgrade your firmware your settings carry over.

I would only reset my router to factory after a firmware upgrade if I was having problems that I could not fix by tweaking a setting.

Under no circumstances do you want to restore old settings to a new firmware. If you have a major problem you can restore the old firmware and then restore your settings.

Going from .260 to .270 or above you need to restore your router to factory specs and re-configure it due to the NVRAM upgrade in size. Takes a minute to re-configure it no biggy.

Reloading a saved configuration is exactly the same as not restoring to factory defaults after an upgrade. Merlin has recommended that going from the version you are currently on to any of the newer versions should be factory reset. It can definitely take some time, but I just take a screenshot of my static DHCP screen and just reconfigure after the upgrade.

Cost of doing business...

Ok, I will backup my setup just in case things goes bad but when the new firmware will be in place and stable I will reconfigure it completely.

Thanks all!

There are many posts on this forum BTW showing how to easily transfer the most time-consuming settings like DHCP reservations. Do a forum search on "dhcp_staticlist" for the details.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!