What's new

Why so narrow band in 5ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Olndo Pindaro

Regular Contributor
This is the 5ghz panel of my rt-ax68S router
1687203733539.png

I cannot adjust Extension channel (i can set only auto)
this is capture of wifi analizer

1687204044443.png

why eternal ssid is so narrow? is a problem or is normal?
thanks
Olindo

View attachment 51113

View attachment 51114

thanks
Olindo
Depending upon your WIFI environment it could be normal. Connecting with a 160 MHz capable client should increase the router 5 GHz bandwidth. However, pushing 5 GHz to 160 MHz and using DFS channels can result in poor performance. Use Dual Band SmartConnect with Auto Channels and no DFS channels should result in good operation. After a couple of years of "testing" WIFI settings I have settled on channel 11 and 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz and channel 36 and 80 MHz for 5 GHz. My clients and family are happy (for now).

You can see the actual channel details in your router’s System Log, Wireless Log. Wi-Fi Analyzer apps often show incorrect information limited by the radio of the client you run the app on.

After a couple of years of "testing" WIFI settings I have settled on channel 11 and 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz and channel 36 and 80 MHz for 5 GHz

@Olndo Pindaro is in Italy and this may not be the best channel choice. He has 200mW power limit on lower 5GHz channels and 1-13 options on 2.4GHz band. He also doesn’t have upper 149-161 channels available.

View attachment 51113

View attachment 51114

thanks
Olindo

Is the analyzer client WiFi adapter limited to that max bandwidth?

Does your region permit the extension frequencies required to support wider bandwidth connections around ch 136?

OE

Set it to auto and let the firmware do it's work. You'll be surprised I think.

On the RP-AX58 that's connected to my GT-AX6000 I'll see this if there is nothing connected to the 5GHz. The router will stick at 80 or 160MHz bandwidth, while the node sometimes indicates as low as 10MHz - I'd wondered if this was an error, but as everything works I've not worried too much.

There is a good chance this channel 136 is actually locked @20MHz because of regional restrictions. Similar to channel 165 in Canada. My suggestion is to select 80MHz wide bandwidth and check what channel options the router allows. I wouldn't be surprised if channel 136 is not one of them.

@Olndo Pindaro

Last edited:
You can see the actual channel details in your router’s System Log, Wireless Log. Wi-Fi Analyzer apps often show incorrect information limited by the radio of the client you run the app on.

Agreed - one has to look at things from the AP side - there's a WL command on the CLI, and if I recall, in RMerlin's builds, there is a screen that also indicates this, but the CLI can do this in real-time

On the client side - I've seen this on Mac/Linux/Android with WiFi5 and WiFi6 chipsets, they can and often do dynamically adjust the MCS rates, number of spatial streams, and channel width based on traffic needs and RF conditions - in idle state, one has to take the numbers with a grain of salt - pump some traffic in, and they'll ramp up the resource ask, and give a much better picture of the connection.

On the client side - I've seen this on Mac/Linux/Android with WiFi5 and WiFi6 chipsets, they can and often do dynamically adjust the MCS rates, number of spatial streams, and channel width based on traffic needs and RF conditions - in idle state, one has to take the numbers with a grain of salt - pump some traffic in, and they'll ramp up the resource ask, and give a much better picture of the connection.

Yup, I absolutely do see my Mac laptop doing that --- it's very noticeable when you option-click the wifi menu icon that the reported Tx rate drops a lot if it's not doing much wifi-wise. Doesn't seem to affect the output of any of my wifi analyzer apps, though.

Yup, I absolutely do see my Mac laptop doing that --- it's very noticeable when you option-click the wifi menu icon that the reported Tx rate drops a lot if it's not doing much wifi-wise. Doesn't seem to affect the output of any of my wifi analyzer apps, though.

WiFi Explorer on Mac does the visualization based on the elements in the beacon frame...

FWIW - I was the one that reported the UNII-3/UNII-4 visualization bug with 160MHz channels, they were very nice about it, and fixed it in the most recent release.

Thanks to all. I will go for further investigation and i will provide documentation. Just notation. With these setting coverge con 5gh is comparable to 2.4gh e speed not bad even if not comparable (but close) to in router ones.

Thanks to all

P.S=my family heates me for WIFI network breakdown

If i do what you suggest there infostrada (not mine) in perfect overlapping with eternal (mine)

The presence of other routers on the same channel doesn't mean the channel is "bad". It may be the best channel most of the time with most available bandwidth. This is why the other routers (perhaps on Auto) stay there. What matters is how active the other routers/networks around are.

The presence of other routers on the same channel doesn't mean the channel is "bad". It may be the best channel most of the time with most available bandwidth. This is why the other routers (perhaps on Auto) stay there. What matters is how active the other routers/networks around are.
so are you suggesting me to stay in auto?

Laptop AX (~1200), phone AX (~907-960), TV-box AC (~650-780).

netmap.png

wifi-log.png

wifi-log-2.png

wifi5-pro.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!