What's new

Wifi gtax6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronorbar

Regular Contributor
Need help, gtax6000, wifi signal is very weak and also does not recognize frequency 5.

Last edited:
You need to quantify what is 'very weak' signal for you. You also need to specify which client device(s) this is with, along with the wireless environment you're testing in too.

Otherwise:

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Perform the correct reset for your router (first link above).

Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not plug in any USB drives that were previously used by amtm and/or other scripts. Do not randomly toggle settings back and forth in the GUI (some/many settings are not turned 'off' fully, even when toggled back to their post-reset defaults).

If that is not enough to get you a stable network, continue with link two.

If the issue persists, it indicates a hardware issue.

You need to quantify what is 'very weak' signal for you. You also need to specify which client device(s) this is with, along with the wireless environment you're testing in too.

Otherwise:

Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not plug in any USB drives that were previously used by amtm and/or other scripts. Do not randomly toggle settings back and forth in the GUI (some/many settings are not turned 'off' fully, even when toggled back to their post-reset defaults).

Thanks for the answer, I'm near the router and I get a speed of 50mb instead of 200 on my phone.

Otherwise:

I would appreciate your help, maybe I didn't configure the wifi correctly? There are settings for selecting channels, dfs and other things...

Along with the links I already offered, the following may be of help too.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Don't toggle settings on and off (for some settings, it is not the same as just leaving them off...).

A minimal and manual configuration (with the suggested defaults in the links above) is all that is needed (usually).

Are you using SmartConnect? If so, don't.

Separate the WiFi bands with different SSIDs (you can use the same passwords though). And only connect each device to the band you want to use it on.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Don't toggle settings on and off (for some settings, it is not the same as just leaving them off...).

A minimal and manual configuration (with the suggested defaults in the links above) is all that is needed (usually).

Separate the WiFi bands with different SSIDs (you can use the same passwords though). And only connect each device to the band you want to use it on.
much appreciate your help, i will check things out, thank you very much

In Israel, do I need to set channel numbers or leave them in AUTO mode? And there is also a DFS setting, do I need to activate it?

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Am I connecting correctly? I have a modem router from the service provider, I connect through it from one of its ports to the wan input on the ax6000 router, on the 2 routers I use the ports, on the ax6000 router I also use wifi. All this connection without changing settings on the routers. Is this how I should connect?

Need help, gtax6000, wifi signal is very weak and also does not recognize frequency 5.
On a separate note, that firmware doesn't have good feedback from many members across different models. The previous firmware v3.0.0.4.388.21617 was much better and stable. I am using the latest BETA and have had 0 issues with it as well v9.0.0.6.102.3506. Don't forget to reset your router to defaults after you install any firmware.

Am I connecting correctly? I have a modem router from the service provider, I connect through it from one of its ports to the wan input on the ax6000 router, on the 2 routers I use the ports, on the ax6000 router I also use wifi. All this connection without changing settings on the routers. Is this how I should connect?
I wouldn't do that because you are limited to the performance of your ISP's router which are usually garbage. Try connecting the router directly from the post your ISP provides to your GT-AX6000.

I wouldn't do that because you are limited to the performance of your ISP's router which are usually garbage. Try connecting the router directly from the post your ISP provides to your GT-AX6000.
I have to stay with the service provider's modem, I can't change it

I have to stay with the service provider's modem, I can't change it
Got it, then try the older firmware I suggested or the new BETA.

Got it, then try the older firmware I suggested or the new BETA.
Yesterday I connected the ax6000 and I was very disappointed, lots of communication disconnections, unstable and weak wifi. 2 rooms away, no wifi reception anymore.

Yesterday I connected the ax6000 and I was very disappointed, lots of communication disconnections, unstable and weak wifi. 2 rooms away, no wifi reception anymore.
very strange man. I have 2 of em in AiMesh and even when I had one only, I would get strong signal 1 floor apart and not one disconnection.

very strange man. I have 2 of em in AiMesh and even when I had one only, I would get strong signal 1 floor apart and not one disconnection.
Could it be that I did something wrong? Bad version? WiFi settings on the router (I would like to know what settings you have set, channel number for frequencies, etc.) and maybe there will be something worth setting, thank you very much.

Could it be that I did something wrong? Bad version? WiFi settings on the router (I would like to know what settings you have set, channel number for frequencies, etc.) and maybe there will be something worth setting, thank you very much.
1) I did not restore any backup or config from any previous router.
2) Everything is at default except I enabled the 160hz band in the Wireless Settings / Professional.
3) I am using Smart Connecting, not dedicated SSIDs for each band.

When I first got the router, it was on firmware 3.0.0.4.388.21617, the router was perfectly stabel.

I then upgrade to firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22068, I had one disconnection and the feedback of this firmware from many routers is not very positive if you check.

Then I upgraded to the BETA firmware 9.0.0.6.102.3506, reset the router to factory defaults as this version has many new features so I thought it'd be best to start fresh. Not one disconnection since then, very strong signal across the entire house and speeds.

buffer.png

On the ISP modem/router, I would change it to Bridge Mode. Don't plug anything else into it except for the cable going to the WAN port of the GT-AX6000. At the very least, you need to turn the radios off on the ISP modem/router. Call your ISP and ask them to Bridge the modem/router for you. If there are no settings in that hardware you cannot enable/change yourself.

If you need more than the 4 ports on the GT-AX6000 (and the additional 2.5GbE LAN port too), buy a $20 8 port switch instead.

Do not have the ISPs, and your new router, close to each other. I would use at least a 10' Ethernet cable between them and have them be as physically apart as possible.

If you have an airport within ~25 km from you, leave DFS off.

Set a manual Control Channel. Test all available channels if you need to on the 5GHz band. Test CC 1, 6, and 11 on the 2.4GHz band. I suggest rebooting the router after making any changes (and verifying that the changes you made 'stick', after the reboot). This isn't a race. Find the Control Channel for each band that gives you the best balance of the lowest latency, range, and speed (usually, in that order). These are not 'numbers' you're looking for here.

Set the CC you want to use. Reboot the router. Verify your changes 'took'. Use a few, non-handheld, devices in multiple locations around your home (preferably in Performance mode, and while it is plugged into AC power) to see how using your network normally (browsing the web, printing, streaming, saving/retrieving data from a NAS, etc.). Keep good notes on these tests and with which client device. After you have tested all CCs, refer to your notes to find the CC with the least compromises (there is no 'perfect' control channel).

On the ISP modem/router, I would change it to Bridge Mode. Don't plug anything else into it except for the cable going to the WAN port of the GT-AX6000. At the very least, you need to turn the radios off on the ISP modem/router. Call your ISP and ask them to Bridge the modem/router for you. If there are no settings in that hardware you cannot enable/change yourself.

If you need more than the 4 ports on the GT-AX6000 (and the additional 2.5GbE LAN port too), buy a $20 8 port switch instead.

Do not have the ISPs, and your new router, close to each other. I would use at least a 10' Ethernet cable between them and have them be as physically apart as possible.

If you have an airport within ~25 km from you, leave DFS off.

Set a manual Control Channel. Test all available channels if you need to on the 5GHz band. Test CC 1, 6, and 11 on the 2.4GHz band. I suggest rebooting the router after making any changes (and verifying that the changes you made 'stick', after the reboot). This isn't a race. Find the Control Channel for each band that gives you the best balance of the lowest latency, range, and speed (usually, in that order). These are not 'numbers' you're looking for here.

Set the CC you want to use. Reboot the router. Verify your changes 'took'. Use a few, non-handheld, devices in multiple locations around your home (preferably in Performance mode, and while it is plugged into AC power) to see how using your network normally (browsing the web, printing, streaming, saving/retrieving data from a NAS, etc.). Keep good notes on these tests and with which client device. After you have tested all CCs, refer to your notes to find the CC with the least compromises (there is no 'perfect' control channel).
Thank you very much for the detailed answer, I will try everything. I have to use the existing router for 2 computers, I disconnect its wifi and connect it with a long cable to the ax6000 for the wan input

1) I did not restore any backup or config from any previous router.
2) Everything is at default except I enabled the 160hz band in the Wireless Settings / Professional.
3) I am using Smart Connecting, not dedicated SSIDs for each band.

When I first got the router, it was on firmware 3.0.0.4.388.21617, the router was perfectly stabel.

I then upgrade to firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22068, I had one disconnection and the feedback of this firmware from many routers is not very positive if you check.

Then I upgraded to the BETA firmware 9.0.0.6.102.3506, reset the router to factory defaults as this version has many new features so I thought it'd be best to start fresh. Not one disconnection since then, very strong signal across the entire house and speeds.

View attachment 47336
Thank you very much for all the help, I will try and update

I am now getting a rate of 200mb near the router, but a distance of 3 rooms is barely 10mb....I tried changing channels and it didn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!