1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Your opinions on AiMesh

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by doc octopus, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:24 AM.

1. doc octopus

doc octopus Regular Contributor

Hi everyone, I would like you to share your experiences with the aimesh function. I would like to connect two routers, gt-ac5300 as the main router and rt-ac86u as a node, using the wifi as a backhaul channel, due to the distance between its equipment and the impossibility of laying ethernet cables.
    Thanks in advance to those who want to participate.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Regular Contributor

Works great in my case (see signature).
    I have an ethernet backhaul, however....

4. drabisan

drabisan Senior Member

If your only option is a wireless backhaul...distance and material walls are build from will be the decisive factors.
    There's no way to predict how well it will work.
    But you may do some tests before and you'll be able to guess.

Idea is: place a router where your "new" router will be. Than take a laptop and put it where your node will be. If you see 5GHz at at least -70db, you're borderline and it's not good. If you only see 2.4GHz, you have a BIG problem. It will work, but the speed will be s..t!
    With both router and node having 2*5GHz radios, one it will become backhaul and speed will be decent. But if distance+walls makes only 2.4 to be seen between the 2 spots, there's no way to get decent speed. You'll have to move the node on a spot where you see router with good parameters. Ideally below -65db.

Don't set your expectations high. Wireless backhaul is a b..h, it's a shared environment so the speed it's never great.

Another point: GT-AC5300 never had a super firmware! A weekly restart it's a must and even then it may fail...usually it will forget to broadcast beacon on one 5GHz radio. There wasn't enough time to tell if latest firmware solved that problem, but I have one for nearly 1y and I did end up with a weekly reboot schedule to keep it stable.

5. BradsterACT

BradsterACT Occasional Visitor

I ran 2 RT-ac68u in AIMesh through one cupboard a brick wall ----> 10 meters across the lawn--->Through a brick wall and Node is in Garage. Throughput is comparable to repeater mode and the whole yard gets excellent wireless and will swap between node and router seemlessly.

Ive since swapped out RT-AC68U router for DSL-AC68U and added a second node in a weatherproof box to service the backyard.

In repeater mode they seem to sync up well...usually at 1300....not sure how to check it as an AI mesh node

If you get a good signal in wireless bridge or repeater modes it should be fine for AI mesh.

Both your routers are vastly superior to mine so ide expect even better results.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:25 PM
  6. Volfi

Volfi Occasional Visitor

Works great for me, wireless.

7. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Regular Contributor

I will not use gt-ac5300 as main router, I will choose a more professional one and use 2*AC86U or even AC68U as AP. Depends on the location you may end up using 2.4G for backhaul so the AC68U and AC86U will not have much differnet. I am using AC68U/86U for indoor as it is really good for that price, but for outdoor we have some setup as the same price as a AC68U but provide 1.2G (600mbps full duplex) with 800m distance.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!