What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're welcome to add support yourself if you are not satisfied with my work. The first problem you will be facing is the fact that there isn't even up-to-date GPL available for that model, therefore making it not possible to support it right now.

Quit badgering me about this, this is seriously getting aggravating.
I think it is the opposite, because we are very satisfied with your work we are hoping your support to that router. I am with my fingers crossed...

I've had the odd red light, and internet disconnected status again, the power cycle didn't work, so I had to change the DNS server, to get it to work, last time I changed it from CloudFlare to auto, now from auto to CloudFlare.
I have an AX88U as well and have also experienced the WAN red light special. I had another issue that seemed to crop up on the WAN side as well - a slow upload speed decay over time. The Wireless side is fine. I have run numerous iperf3 sessions to numerous clients on my internal LAN - all perform great. On the WAN side - I start at ~10-11Mbits/sec and over the course of 1 to 3 days drop down to kbits/sec. Needless to say, DNS look up are painful. Download speeds are always fine - in the 100Mbit area. I have Spectrum and am paying for 100 Down, 10 Up.

I have narrowed it down to the router. The only way to get the upload speeds back to normal is a reboot of the router. Even that is difficult on 384.16 since this also potentially triggers the dreaded WAN red light...
I have changed the cable between the cable modem and the router - no change.
I have unplugged then re plugged in the modem to router cable - no change.
I plugged a laptop directly into the cable modem - all speedtest's run fine.

The decay also occurred on 384.15. I am back to 384.14 to see how that does. So far so good but this issue can take a day or so to crop up.

Here is a snapshot of the spdmerlin graph showing the decay. There looks like a large dip on the Download graph - but note the scale. Its fine.
I reverted to 384.14 at 4PM yesterday ;-)
Capture3.JPG

I have an AX88U as well and have also experienced the WAN red light special. I had another issue that seemed to crop up on the WAN side as well - a slow upload speed decay over time. The Wireless side is fine. I have run numerous iperf3 sessions to numerous clients on my internal LAN - all perform great. On the WAN side - I start at ~10-11Mbits/sec and over the course of 1 to 3 days drop down to kbits/sec. Needless to say, DNS look up are painful. Download speeds are always fine - in the 100Mbit area. I have Spectrum and am paying for 100 Down, 10 Up.

I have narrowed it down to the router. The only way to get the upload speeds back to normal is a reboot of the router. Even that is difficult on 384.16 since this also potentially triggers the dreaded WAN red light...
I have changed the cable between the cable modem and the router - no change.
I have unplugged then re plugged in the modem to router cable - no change.
I plugged a laptop directly into the cable modem - all speedtest's run fine.

The decay also occurred on 384.15. I am back to 384.14 to see how that does. So far so good but this issue can take a day or so to crop up.

Here is a snapshot of the spdmerlin graph showing the decay. There looks like a large dip on the Download graph - but note the scale. Its fine.
I reverted to 384.14 at 4PM yesterday ;-)
View attachment 21686
Are you running ISP based dhcp to connect by any chance, because here in Australia my Optus uses ipoe or dhcp to authenticate, my connection I'm using Mac cloning of Thier unit, in still waiting for the supposed fix that is in the works, for it I'm hoping that's the thing that resloves it.

Quit badgering me about this, this is seriously getting aggravating.
Even in my thoughts I didn’t have it. I apologize if I have caused you suffering.
From now on, I will no longer answer ANY question about future model support. I'm tired of it.
Please answer the last question: The latest firmware RT-AX92 3.0.0.4.384.7977, will there be an opportunity to make a modified firmware for it when the GPL 3.0.0.4.384.7977 for RT-AX88 comes out? RT-AX92 use older two BCM4352 and BCM43684.

From now on, I will no longer answer ANY question about future model support. I'm tired of it.
I am sorry Merlin. I didn't see your post because I was writing mine at the same time. I would love to try but it is not possible. I will not ask more...

There are some users very worried if you spend time with other models than their own.

Keep up your good work.

...Merlin has better things to do ... so go way and stop asking
I was not rude with Merlin and I will not low my level with you, sorry...

Please answer the last question

I’m intrigued ... which part of “From now on, I will no longer answer ANY question about future model support. I'm tired of it“ didn’t you understand?

Speaking for myself I’d appreciate you not pissing Eric off and distracting him from the great work he so generously chooses to undertake.

Last edited:
It's much easier to buy a router that is supported than it is to place demands that your buying choice be supported.:D

Supported Devices
-----------------
Devices supported on the new generation/current branch (382.xx and newer):
* RT-AC66U_B1 (use the RT-AC68U firmware)
* RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC68UF (including HW revision C1 and E1)
* RT-AC1900 & RT-AC1900P (use the RT-AC68U firmware)
* RT-AC87U
* RT-AC3200
* RT-AC88U
* RT-AC3100
* RT-AC5300
* RT-AC86U
* RT-AC2900 (use the RT-AC86U firmware)
* RT-AX88U

No longer supported:
* RT-N16
* RT-N66U
* RT-AC66U
* RT-AC56U

NOTE: all the "R" versions (for example RT-N66R) are the same as their
"U" counterparts, they are just different packages aimed at large
retailers. The firmware is 100% compatible with both U and R versions
of the routers. Same with the "W" variants that are simply white.

The legacy 380.xx branch is no longer being actively developed.
Support for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U has been dropped.

Last edited:
It's much easier to buy a router that is supported than it is to place demands that your buying choice be supported.:D
Of course, because support begging does not affect Eric's decision. However, the decision may be affected by the popularity of the model, and RT-Ax92 may become such in the future, due to its specifications.

Hi Merlin and other experts,

First of all thanks to RMerlin for working on this firmware for so many years. I am currently using Shibby Tomato version for last 8 years. As there is no more update to this firmware by Shibby so I am trying to move to Merlin firmware. I have a spare RTAC68U which I have loaded with latest Merlin firmware 384.15. Using AMTM I have already installed RSync, Transmission etc. It seems I am getting everything in Merlin firmware that I use under Tomato. Only one thing that I am not able to understand is scheduler to run custom script. See below picture that I use every day to run RSync and "MV" commands. Can anyone in this forum tell me how I can setup this in Merlin firmware? Please let me know if this is not the right forum to post.

I mainly use these 2 commands in Tomato scheduler.

1) Move files from one drive to another drive by this command -> mv -f /[Drive-Primary] /[Drive-Secondary]
2) Sync files from one drive to another drive by this command -> rsync -avc --delete /[Drive-Primary] /[Drive-Secondary]

Tomato-Shibby scheduler screenshot

upload_2020-3-1_9-42-20.png

Thanks

SSS

Supported Devices
-----------------
Devices supported on the new generation/current branch (382.xx and newer):
* RT-AC66U_B1 (use the RT-AC68U firmware)
* RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC68UF (including HW revision C1 and E1)
* RT-AC1900 & RT-AC1900P (use the RT-AC68U firmware)
* RT-AC87U
* RT-AC3200
* RT-AC88U
* RT-AC3100
* RT-AC5300
* RT-AC86U
* RT-AC2900 (use the RT-AC86U firmware)
* RT-AX88U

No longer supported:
* RT-N16
* RT-N66U
* RT-AC66U
* RT-AC56U

NOTE: all the "R" versions (for example RT-N66R) are the same as their
"U" counterparts, they are just different packages aimed at large
retailers. The firmware is 100% compatible with both U and R versions
of the routers. Same with the "W" variants that are simply white.

The legacy 380.xx branch is no longer being actively developed.
Support for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U has been dropped.
If I recall it correctly I waited to buy my router until Merlin firmware was out or at least on the way. It was buggy and had some issues back then though. Had to go back to original for some time (painful I know) but I always come back :)

My guess would be that many "mainstream"/"normal" routers will get support but rarely specialized mesh or too much specialized versions like "ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Edition".
Too few users and mostly wasted work for supporting them if you ask me.

Are you running ISP based dhcp to connect by any chance, because here in Australia my Optus uses ipoe or dhcp to authenticate, my connection I'm using Mac cloning of Thier unit, in still waiting for the supposed fix that is in the works, for it I'm hoping that's the thing that resloves it.
I am now that I am running 384.14. I had done the factory reset and when I manually configured, I didn't change that setting.
When I was on 384.15 and .16, I was using 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

Alpha 2 hype super excited to test all @themiron updates :)

Not much to be seen there, the main change is related to how getdns/stubby is compiled. Very little functionality changes in these two updates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!