What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Close to 30 days of uptime, and now another 11 days on my RT-AX88U with a 120 Mbps Internet connection - zero slowdown issues after all this time.

Same no issues for me but also i'm not using cable and different ISP's so this will be hard to troubleshoot.

Something like this would have me leaning on it being an ISP issue but if you drop firmwares and it doesn't happen then i'm kinda at a loss for what the cause maybe.

Last edited:
Close to 30 days of uptime, and now another 11 days on my RT-AX88U with a 120 Mbps Internet connection - zero slowdown issues after all this time.
I hear you - I see many others that are stable on Alpha1.
I will likely give Alpha 2 a shot - this time look for memory or high process issues.
Or, hopefully no issues ;-)

Same no issues for me but also i'm not using cable and different ISP's so this will be hard to troubleshoot.

Something like this would have me leaning on it being an ISP issue but if you drop firmwares and it doesn't happen that i'm kinda at a loss for what the cause maybe.
Thanks. I was heading down the road of ISP issue. Almost ordered another cable modem (the Arris has Intel silicon which has known issues).
But, after loading 384.14 and seeing stable, hard to blame Arris/Spectrum...

Thanks. I was heading down the road of ISP issue. Almost ordered another cable modem (the Arris has Intel silicon which has known issues).
But, after loading 384.14 and seeing stable, hard to blame Arris/Spectrum...

Ahh Puma 6 model I know them well had Puma 6 & 7 Chipset modems when I was on cable.

Though issues with those were more lantency in and out of the modem, didn't really see it affect throughput.

I hear you - I see many others that are stable on Alpha1.
I will likely give Alpha 2 a shot - this time look for memory or high process issues.
Or, hopefully no issues ;-)
I have an AC86U briefly ran 34.16 alpha, then has some USB drive issues, after I got that resolved I went back to 384.15 stable. After seeing your post, and feeling like have ISP issues, using Arris cable modem TM11602A -Spectrum 100/10 feed. I had not run spdMerlin for months, but installed and see what results I get, I'll let you know, likely let it run for a few days, after I install 2nd 16 alpha that just hatched. :)

Yep already installed on my RT-AX58U. Did a complete factory reset and set up manually. So far working as expected. Thanks Eric for your speedy support for the AX58 there was a time there i didn't think it was gonna happen. :):D

BTW: Asus just released 384.8563 for AX58U looks like there is a security fix in there and support for UL & DL for OFDMA. Again Thank You !!!

1st Alpha rock-solid on the RT-AX88U since release (my partner she added her vote on that too!). Dirty installed the 2nd Alpha firmware without issues on the RT-AX88U and to the 2x RT-AC86U's in my backhaul AiMesh setup. Thanks @RMerlin and @themiron from what I read in the github details on this release!!

Seems like "random no internet after reboot" issue is still there on RT-AX88U_384.16_alpha1-gfcd95af015.

With or without WAN Connect to DNS Automatically set to 'No' and DNS manually entered?

What other scripts/options are set on the router?

Was this also confirmed after a full reset on your specific router?

With or without WAN Connect to DNS Automatically set to 'No' and DNS manually entered?

What other scripts/options are set on the router?

Was this also confirmed after a full reset on your specific router?
Manual DNS
Not yet reset.
Wait to see if other folks with the same issue posted still have this issue.

Manual DNS
Not yet reset.
Wait to see if other folks with the same issue posted still have this issue.
I didn't have this issue on my dirty install, with this 2nd alpha release on my RT-AX88U. Did though 2of2 times on the 1st Alpha, even after power off/on's of Router. I run on the RT-AX88U, AMTM, Diversion, Skynet, Fresh JR QOS, Unbound, Scribe, UI... Not performed a full reset since 384.13 days.

Seems like "random no internet after reboot" issue is still there on RT-AX88U_384.16_alpha1-gfcd95af015.
Max33Verstappen,

I can confirm that I observed the same issue after dirty flashing this new alpha1 FW over the previous alpha1 FW on my RT-AX88U v1. Mine happened only after the first reboot after flashing.

PS: My work around is to turn OFF then ON the Internet Connection, under the Internet Status GUI. Once done it does not seem to occur again. By the way I observed the same thing in the Original Alpha1 FW (where I did a factory reset).
Other scripts I run are in my Signature below.

Edit: Oh L&LD ... my WAN DNS Setting: Connect to DNS Automatically : 'Yes' :)

Was this a single reboot of the router? Have you tried rebooting again to see if this is a persistent issue?

Max33Verstappen,

I can confirm that I observed the same issue after dirty flashing this new alpha1 FW over the previous alpha1 FW on my RT-AX88U v1. Mine happened only after the first reboot after flashing.

PS: My work around is to turn OFF then ON the Internet Connection, under the Internet Status GUI. Once done it does not seem to occur again. By the way I observed the same thing in the Original Alpha1 FW (where I did a factory reset).
Other scripts I run are in my Signature below.
Yes. It only occurs RANDOMLY after the reboot in my case. My workaround is simply putting some script to do the "service restart_wan" only once after reboot.

Was this a single reboot of the router? Have you tried rebooting again to see if this is a persistent issue?
It randomly occurs ONLY after reboot.

This is my previous post:
After rebooting the router, and the Web UI complete loading, it shows the "Internet is disconnected" on "Network Map" page. But in the log I found this: "custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/wan-event (args: 0 connected)" as the last log corresponding to "wan-event" and in the log I found dnsmasq still querying but getting invalid reply because there's actually no Internet connection. This seems to mean the kernel or whatever module thought the Internet is ALIVE but actually it's OFFLINE, so it's never get reconnected (Actually it's never connected since booted) until you manually switch the button from "ON" to "OFF" and then "ON" or did a "service restart_wan".
The occurrence of this is random (not every time) but the probability of this is around 30% ~ 50%. On 384.15, I tried a lot of times and it never happened.

WAN (upload) issues on 384.15 and 384.16

It's now been almost 4 days since I reverted all the way back to 384.14. I have uploaded a screenshot of a 7 day spdmerlin graph. A picture tells a thousand words ;-)

RT-AX88U, fairly plain setup - no QoS, No media server, No Guest Network.
Using an Arris SB6183 cable modem connected to a Spectrum 100/10 feed.
Wireless runs great - I did run iperf3 between the AX88u and a few internal clients - 2 AC based and 1 AX based (AX200 in a laptop). Get great WLAN speeds all the time.

I do have AMTM installed with Entware, scribe and spdmerlin.

When running either 384.15 or .16 I would experience a slow decline/decay in WAN upload speeds until it essentially it nears 0 Mbits/sec. Download runs fine - over 110Mbit/sec and WLAN also running at typical speed. It's simply the WAN upload that seems to die...
A reboot of the AX88u typically fixed it for a day or two. I say typically because I would also experience the WAN red light/fail to connect on reboot occasionally.

I have noticed a few other folks with what appear to be WAN side issues. I have a question.
Are you running spdmerlin and checking the speeds? If not, can you install spdmerlin? (I would recommend using AMTM to do the install).
If you experience unresponsive web pages, see if you can login via web to the AX68U and check the spdmerlin graphs and log.

Here is the latest on mine (you can tell when I installed 384.14)

View attachment 21751
About how many calls to your ISP have you made over the advantages allotted to you by spdmerlin and connmon :D

Dirty upgrade to 384.16_alpha1-gb21df088d2 on AC5300.
Operating temp is 4-5 degrees lower. Signal strength on 5GHz is on average 3% lower than on the previous Alpha1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!