What's new

[384.16_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Udated to new alpha and inadyn seems not working. Not caching to /tmp folder is empty.
exclamation mark in Internet status.

Is it only me having this problem?

Code:
Mar  5 07:31:38 watchdog: start ddns.
Mar  5 07:31:38 rc_service: watchdog 278:notify_rc start_ddns
Mar  5 07:31:38 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Mar  5 07:31:38 (service-event): 5337 Script not defined for service-event: servicestart-ddns
Mar  5 07:31:38 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Mar  5 07:31:38 inadyn[5344]: In-a-dyn version 2.6 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Mar  5 07:31:38 inadyn[5344]: Update forced for alias octopus.xxxxxxx.xx, new IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

@RMerlin

Last edited:
@SheikhSheikha, was the throughput affected too?
No the throughput is good. The only thing with a lower signal strength is that some areas in my house have less coverage (resulting in bad or no connection and disconnects with facetime)

No the throughput is good. The only thing with a lower signal strength is that some areas in my house have less coverage (resulting in bad or no connection and disconnects with facetime)

Zero change to Wifi for the RT-AC5300.

Zero change to Wifi for the RT-AC5300.
Good to know. I can only share experiences that I encounter which in this case is a different signal level. (as my home has no noticeable interference from my neighborhood that cannot be the cause).

I will execute an M&M full nuclear in the coming days when I find the time, to see if that brings the signal back to the level of the first Alpha1, but for now I will let it run on one of the two routers as is.

It randomly occurs ONLY after reboot.

This is my previous post:
After rebooting the router, and the Web UI complete loading, it shows the "Internet is disconnected" on "Network Map" page. But in the log I found this: "custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/wan-event (args: 0 connected)" as the last log corresponding to "wan-event" and in the log I found dnsmasq still querying but getting invalid reply because there's actually no Internet connection. This seems to mean the kernel or whatever module thought the Internet is ALIVE but actually it's OFFLINE, so it's never get reconnected (Actually it's never connected since booted) until you manually switch the button from "ON" to "OFF" and then "ON" or did a "service restart_wan".
The occurrence of this is random (not every time) but the probability of this is around 30% ~ 50%. On 384.15, I tried a lot of times and it never happened.
I got back home earlier today, just want to see what happen when I do a Reboot via GUI. I waited for a few minutes Internet connection is OFF again :(. This time I did "service restart_wan" over SSH to get back my Internet connection. I will probably do a few more reboots & Power Off/On ... after my family members go to sleep and report back here.

I got back home earlier today, just want to see what happen when I do a Reboot via GUI. I waited for a few minutes Internet connection is OFF again :(. This time I did "service restart_wan" over SSH to get back my Internet connection. I will probably do a few more reboots & Power Off/On ... after my family members go to sleep and report back here.
Same here, started happening in 384.16 alpha. Connection went up again after a few hours.

First attempt to upgrade to the 2nd alpha 1 didn't work on the AC86U (from 384.15). Power cycled router and tried again. It worked.
Edit: 5 GHZ seems to be stronger.

Last edited:
Udated to new alpha and inadyn seems not working. Not caching to /tmp folder is empty.
exclamation mark in Internet status.

Is it only me having this problem?

Code:
Mar  5 07:31:38 watchdog: start ddns.
Mar  5 07:31:38 rc_service: watchdog 278:notify_rc start_ddns
Mar  5 07:31:38 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Mar  5 07:31:38 (service-event): 5337 Script not defined for service-event: servicestart-ddns
Mar  5 07:31:38 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Mar  5 07:31:38 inadyn[5344]: In-a-dyn version 2.6 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Mar  5 07:31:38 inadyn[5344]: Update forced for alias octopus.xxxxxxx.xx, new IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

@RMerlin

It's a bug in inadyn's freedns plugin, it fails to initialize a buffer before using it, causing the authentication hash to be randomly garbled. I'll send the fix upstream.

Hmmm, looks like for me, Internet connection -> OFF, is no more random thingy (5 times out of 5 tries) ... I tried the following reboots:
  • Reboot from GUI (with and without USB Drive attached)
  • Power OFF / ON (with and without USB Drive attached)
  • Uninstalling and re-installing Unbound_manager that requires a REBOOT (I run into some problem with Unbound_manager after plugging in my USBDrive, OK now after re-installing)
Work around:
  • SSH -> "service restart_wan"
  • OFF and ON Internet Connection under the Internet Status GUI
PS: my router is RT-AX88U v1:(

Downloaded firmware 384.16 alpha1 for the RT-AX58U last night. Firstly, an appreciative shout out for @RMerlin for creating a version for this router as it is a huge step up from stock. THANK YOU!

What is working for me:

All the big stuff seems good. Stubby (DNS over TLS), 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz wireless, wireless AX mode, IPv6 (native mode), WPA2 and WPA3, 2 guest networks and SSH.

What is not working:

I cannot change the log settings as the APPLY button does not work (tried several browsers and no-joy on all of them). I also tried command line syslogd -l 8 and it did not seem to do anything.

I am getting a rolling message in the log file as shown below. If anyone has a tip to address this alarm, I'd definitely appreciate your insight!!!!

Rolling alarm message:

Mar 5 10:55:02 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x660
Mar 5 10:55:03 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x660
Mar 5 10:55:21 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x4e0
Mar 5 10:55:21 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x4e0
Mar 5 10:55:23 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x5c0
Mar 5 10:55:26 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:26 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:26 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x7e0
Mar 5 10:55:26 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x7e0
Mar 5 10:55:27 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:27 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:27 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x7e0
Mar 5 10:55:27 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x7e0
Mar 5 10:55:31 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:31 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x1
Mar 5 10:55:31 kernel: _blog_emit, blogp = 0x7

I have the same problem with 384.16 alpha1 05.03.2020 on RT-AX58U - cannot change the log settings as the APPLY button does not work and rolling message in the log file...
RT-AX58U log problems.jpg

@RMerlin: THANKS for your work!

rt-ax88u throughput on new alpha is affected S10 plus on 5g wifi 6 is max 270mps and still the same even after restore with Initialize settings to. I also have to unplug and plug back in the wan cable to get internet back up red light on after an upgrade or reboot virgin hub 3 in modem mode.

I am getting a rolling message in the log file as shown below. If anyone has a tip to address this alarm, I'd definitely appreciate your insight!!!!

It's just debug logging left in there by Asus, nothing to worry about (and nothing you can do about either).

rt-ax88u throughput on new alpha is affected S10 plus on 5g wifi 6 is max 270mps and still the same even after restore with Initialize settings to. I also have to unplug and plug back in the wan cable to get internet back up red light on after an upgrade or reboot virgin hub 3 in modem mode.

What were your speeds on the S10+ with 384.15 firmware?

Last edited:
I have the same problem with 384.16 alpha1 05.03.2020 on RT-AX58U - cannot change the log settings as the APPLY button does not work and rolling message in the log file...
View attachment 21772
@RMerlin: THANKS for your work!

Using 384.16 Alpha1 here on my AX58U been solid so far. I don't have those log entries likely because i changed my log level to 5 via SSH. Also didn't check the sys log apply button but i assume if it is a bug it will get fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using 384.16 Alpha1 here on my AX58U been solid so far. I don't have those log entries likely because i changed my log level to 5 via SSH. Also didn't check the sys log apply button but i assume if it is a bug it will get fixed.

I’m about to reload alpha1, I was testing it last week. Right now I’m on the latest stock firmware from yesterday and this thing is absolutely flying. I may get rid of my 88U keep the 58U and wait to see what shows up later this year. I know Merlin will only make this deal better.

Dirty updated rt-ax88u latest alpha 1 over February 20th alpha 1. Lost wan connection. Nothing worked (restart, turn it off and back on). Had to go back to previous alpha 1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!